Just installed BB Protect and ran a test via the BB Protect web site to locate my BB. The location it gave wasn't anywhere close to where my BB was. At least 1 mile away. I have the GPS location turned on in the setting and it's also using my home Wi-Fi. Is this a normal result?

When I test the Find my iPad software it locates my iPad to within a few feet.

lenn
    08-14-12 02:18 PM
    Which BB do you have and OS?
    08-14-12 02:37 PM
    My bb protect picks my 9900 up within feet. Have you an older Blackberry ?
    08-14-12 02:59 PM
    Mine only gives out a 500m range at minimum
    Never goes less than that
    08-14-12 04:39 PM
    Hmm...even when I used Protect on my Tour, it would locate the device within feet. Does it always do this? Maybe just try the network and not wifi
    08-14-12 07:24 PM
    Had some family & friends over the house this weekend for dinner, about 27 in all. well at the end of the night whilst cleaning up My wife could not find her phone. we tried the usual stuff, call it, Ping it but no sound what so ever. Wife was getting upset then I remembered BlackBerry Protect. Told her to get online & see were it is. GPS location pin pointed it at her friends house 5 miles down the road. Their son grab it thinking it was his mom's phone by mistake.

Works great, when we called them to let them know that my wife phone was at their home, they were like "No its not", then I sent the Phone a Ring call to which they said "Yep its here" True Story.....
    08-14-12 07:46 PM
    I've got a similar story. My son lost his 9650 at college last year. I went on the BB Protect website and gps pinned it maybe a half mile from his dorm. I made the phone ring. It was in a house where he had been partying the night before.
    08-14-12 08:49 PM
    I've got a similar story. My son lost his 9650 at college last year. I went on the BB Protect website and gps pinned it maybe a half mile from his dorm. I made the phone ring. It was in a house where he had been partying the night before.

I heard that if the BB is indoors and dosen't have a line of sight to the sky it uses triangulation from the cell towers instead of GPS. This method is far less accurate
    JayR2010 likes this.
    08-14-12 09:49 PM
    Or if it's indoors and can only see, lets say two satellites, it can give a really warped location. When under parking garages that have openings, under bridges, in a tunnel, these all frequently give me wrong readings due to only being able to see a limited number of satellites.
    08-14-12 09:57 PM
    I heard that if the BB is indoors and dosen't have a line of sight to the sky it uses triangulation from the cell towers instead of GPS. This method is far less accurate
    I don't know about that, it's been accurate when I've tried it.
    08-14-12 10:19 PM
    when I'm in my cubicle of doom, I get no location at all... 7 floors up and maybe 50-75 ft from the nearest window. Not even a rough guesstimate using triangulation.
    08-15-12 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD