I had to take my moto atrix in for repair, and got put on the waiting list (my phone is OOS). However the Nexus 4 just came out and I'm really liking the price. I got offered some blackberries in exchange for my (dead) atrix, if I were to chose one (I think I could get a high end one too), could I give it to my brother (who's been wanting a bb; they're kind of a thing down here in argentina) and keep the unlimited data plan that it would come with (which is cheaper than what I'm currently paying for 500mb, which I go over all the time) without my carrier noticing? He would be using a per kb plan then (or my 500mb plan if he proves to be cheaper).
    I have a couple questions: does anyone here know how much data a bb would consume with "normal" use, that is not downloading big things or browsing much, just sharing a couple pics a day, using facebook (maybe also looking at pics) and chatting thru bbm or whatsapp?

On a similar note, is there any way to tie bbm to another service so that it somehow relays messages (I wouldn't mind having a PIN # either)?

Sorry for coming onto a bb forum and asking questions about how to use a bb, I just thought you guys would be the most knowledgable on the subject!
    11-05-12 10:56 PM
    But.... This is what this forum is for. You need not apologize.

There is only one way to have BBM and that is to have a BlackBerry.

The data plan would most likely work. I believe I've seen people say they power other devices (iOS/Android) with their BIS sim cards. But your brother would then need a new sim card and another BIS plan to make use of BBM, BlackBerry Protect and Yahoo/gTalk/WLM native apps (BIS isn't just a data plan, it routes the data through the NOC, making it safer - yet a bit slower - and some BlackBerry apps only work on BIS).

Most people I know usually make the month under 500mb. If you are constantly under wifi, then you may not even see a dent on the data plan. The NOC compresses data, thus the decreased speed to load stuff, making data consumption lower than on most devices.

Now, if we can have just a couple people confirm what should work in all practical scenarios...
    adriangb likes this.
    11-06-12 07:31 AM
    I thought that would be the answer for the first part, but it can't hurt to ask

As for the plan: I would be getting a BB plan on my current SIM, and I can switch between plans with data or not (for my brother, without him having to switch around SIMs). So you say that it would work for me (I would get unlimited data) but if I put him on a 'normal' data plan, he wouldn't be able to use blackberry messenger, for example?

Thanks!
    11-06-12 07:44 AM
    Exactly. BBM demands a connection to the NOC, which can only be granted with BIS.

BBM works over wifi, but only on a BIS activated BlackBerry (with it's BIS sim car in).

You guys could check to see if there aren't cheaper BIS plans like BIS Light, or Social, available on your carrier.
    11-06-12 08:06 AM