Guys, I am new to the community but I have been following all the posts, leaks and other updates at this forum. My post is to express the experiences of the smart phones and operating systems. Like mostly all of you, I had been the loyal user of Symbian OS and was passionate about Nokia devices. I have used nearly all 66 series and N series till N8. I used to occasionally use BB bold 9000-9780 but just for official use. At that time it was fun using bb devices.
    Then in 2011 I made a switch to lumia 800 windows 7.8 OS and liked the people hub, messaging hub etc. Then moved to iOS 4 with Iphone 4 then moved upto series till Iphone 5s. After using apple products there was no looking back and I moved with the flow. Although officially I used bold 9900 officially with Iphone as a main primary phone.
    During start of 2015 I bought new Q10 and was amazed with the performance. Then bought Z10 and continued to use on. I got frustrated with the software updates pushing so slowly and some other minor issues of battery performance etc , I switched back to iphone. Trust me after using BB OS 10 I was not able to use Iphone. I was constantly swiping bottom up to close any app, also swiping right left to peek the hub. I then bought Lumia 925 and don�t even have comments for windows 8.1 denim, it was so pathetic and hated tiles, although I was a fan on live tiles once.
    To get to the bottom, I know there are many folks around here who looks for ultimate satisfaction in owning the device and when they don�t have that they make decisions just like me switching, jumping from one to another. It�s my personal experience that BB OS 10 is the future and it has more potential than any other operating system currently in the market. I am not certain whether Blackberry can maintain this or it will be over ridden by the competition. Seriously Blackberry has to focus on OS to keep it refining fast (not like BB OS 7 to 10, as during the time their 80% customers switched to android and iOS) while enhancing the hardware and designs of devices.
    I am using BB Z10 STL 100-2 as an official phone and BB Z30 as a personal one and I am much contended. Hopefully it would help to all those who are considering to switch from BB OS 10 or to BB OS 10.
    03-27-15 01:15 PM
    " had been the loyal user of Symbian OS and was passionate about Nokia devices."

I already like you

To be honest coming from Symbian myself (5530, N8 and 808 still have them) for which I never really had any software updates, one to Belle on the N8, and loads on S60 v5 (I litterally had every firmware from v10 to v40, something like 6-7 it had considering v30, 31, 32 then 40), I actually love the update timing, I bought my z10 last year in January, it came with I think 10.2.0 (It updated on the first setup screen), so I've had 10.2.0, 10.2.1 (I think 3 updates there was for 10.2.1) and now 10.3.1 + a minor fix, I think we are sort of been spoiled.
    03-27-15 01:26 PM
    The problem is that you have to lay your hands on one and use it, then it is sticky. That is the challenge BB has.

Like being in first class and/or Platinum members when flying, you don't know what it is like then you don't care.
    But once you have platinum and fly first class, you like wtf have I been missing.
    03-27-15 01:48 PM
    What's future?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-27-15 02:22 PM
    It could be the future, but not one that many are going to experience. BB doesn't have a compelling offering for people that want a touchscreen phone that's high end. And don't give me the Z30 crap. It's a two year old phone with a dim screen and crappy camera. I can't even get LTE with AT&T so what do they have to offer for someone that wants a smartphone that's a touchscreen form that competes in the high end market? The Passport? Nope. The Classic? Not even close. The Leap? Maybe 3 years ago.

Right now there is not a single compelling offer from BB that would make someone consider buying a phone from them if they don't want a keyboard, which many people don't.
    03-27-15 04:46 PM
    Many previous Symbian users like myself will find BB10 to be a natural continuation of Symbian. I tried all other mobile operating systems but BB10 is what I like the most. I did a short break from Z10 to a Nokia 930 but Windows Phone was so ******** that I longed back to BB10 so I got a Passport which is a great device.

Technically BB10 is the best OS out there but Blackberry has hard times reaching out to new customers and is constantly bad mouthed in the press (not tech press though because they usually know more).

QNX is very modular and is in my opinion one of the reasons a small company like blackberry has managed to create such a comprehensive OS in such short time. Acquiring QNX was really a brilliant move by BB. Compare this with Windows Phone which is lacking a lot of basic features despite the investment. If BB10 will continue to be maintained BB10 will surely stay in the forward position. What Blackberry needs to do is better generic support for different resolutions and screen ratios so that developers don't need to rewrite their apps for every new model.
    03-27-15 05:03 PM
    Many previous Symbian users like myself will find BB10 to be a natural continuation of Symbian. I tried all other mobile operating systems but BB10 is what I like the most. I did a short break from Z10 to a Nokia 930 but Windows Phone was so ******** that I longed back to BB10 so I got a Passport which is a great device.

Technically BB10 is the best OS out there but Blackberry has hard times reaching out to new customers and is constantly bad mouthed in the press (not tech press though because they usually know more).

QNX is very modular and is in my opinion one of the reasons a small company like blackberry has managed to create such a comprehensive OS in such short time. Acquiring QNX was really a brilliant move by BB. Compare this with Windows Phone which is lacking a lot of basic features despite the investment. If BB10 will continue to be maintained BB10 will surely stay in the forward position. What Blackberry needs to do is better generic support for different resolutions and screen ratios so that developers don't need to rewrite their apps for every new model.
    One reason why I came, it seemed familiar, Basic ToolBar, Menu Button and Back Buttons in the Same place, Status bar nice and simple, does the job.
    03-27-15 06:13 PM
    One reason why I came, it seemed familiar, Basic ToolBar, Menu Button and Back Buttons in the Same place, Status bar nice and simple, does the job.
    Not to speak of that BB10 and Symbian are very similar when it comes to multitasking which I really need. Sometimes when roaming I have no data access which means that getting a GPS lock takes much longer. With Symbian or BB10 this is possible that the app runs in the background keeping the GPS alive trying to get a fix. With Windows Phone, as soon the phone goes to sleep it also turns off the GPS so that it never gets a GPS position. You would have to constantly keep the screen alive to get it. In that regard Windows Phone is unusable.
    03-28-15 04:57 AM
    i like it this is a good idea good luck
    03-28-15 05:21 AM
    I was constantly swiping bottom up to close any app, also swiping right left to peek the hub.
    So, swipping bottom up and right left are the future. Lol
    03-28-15 05:28 AM
    android O and ios 13 has proved it that swiping up and down and right left is the future.. told you years ago...
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    09-17-19 03:34 AM
    android O and ios 13 has proved it that swiping up and down and right left is the future.. told you years ago...
    Yeah if only WebOS didn't have so much else holding it back.... Company's financial problems and rush to get things to market when they weren't ready.
    09-17-19 07:58 AM
    That's typical of Apple though. Wait till the BB10 base is statistically zero, then introduce this "new innovative" feature and make it look like their own. And like the hungry puppy, Android follows suit a year later.
    09-17-19 09:29 AM
    Yeah if only WebOS didn't have so much else holding it back.... Company's financial problems and rush to get things to market when they weren't ready.
    Aint that the truth...what an OS that would be today
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-17-19 09:32 AM
    We are taliking about future related to innovation not the future of business.. I would say there are lots of useless ideas that got great traction for business rather than real innovative ones. Tragic at the end and may be it wouldn't have saved blackberry but I am proud to be associated with this brand who brought so much on the table for its users and changed the way we use our comm devices.
    09-17-19 09:51 AM
    That sounds eerily BB10 familiar
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-17-19 01:02 PM
    The future of BB10? Are you serious, Clark?
    09-17-19 02:39 PM
    Well this was a thread started over 4 years ago. The OP only revived it to point out how the gestures, central to how BB10 worked 6 years ago (8, if you count the Playbook), is now a big thing on Android 10 and iOS 13.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    09-17-19 02:50 PM
    I’m as serious as Cousin Eddie is....
    09-17-19 03:16 PM
    Well this was a thread started over 4 years ago. The OP only revived it to point out how the gestures, central to how BB10 worked 6 years ago (8, if you count the Playbook), is now a big thing on Android 10 and iOS 13.
    Ten if you count WebOS...

Seems like Symbian too had some gestures at some point...

I will say I kinda like the gestures in iOS13.1.... does take me back to my BB10 days. I've caught myself trying to do things, that are different
    09-17-19 03:25 PM
    The majority of people here in NA decide on a phone platform on the basis of their family ecosystem platform if there is one. Price - typically Android is cheaper. The iPhone is not a phone you fiddle with and has by far the best support. The OS is integrated and intuitive. Because iPhones are so popular in NA an Android phone can reflect your personal choices. The apps are pretty much the same on both platforms . I would give iOS the advantage there - especially for messaging. Still I always use Google and Google maps as well as Google Photos.

Basically what I an saying is most consumers who buy iPhones don’t shop around looking for an Android phone and many Android fans define their preference by being in opposition to APPLE.

In the present as it was in 2013, people are shopping for hardware and ecosystem first and they are happy with either iOS or Android. For the vast majority, a phone OS is an App launcher.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-17-19 03:29 PM
    I switched back recently to my Z10 and I LOVED IT unfortunately I had to switch when I needed my bank and cashapp applications. Also the browser was starting to fail because it wasn't updated. Till this day BlackBerry 10 is still far superior to any Other OS but its dead if it's not updated . I loved the OS but man I need those apps and I can't sideload those. I did pay for Whatsapp and it does work but I'm back to my key2.
    09-17-19 08:36 PM
    I switched back recently to my Z10 and I LOVED IT unfortunately I had to switch when I needed my bank and cashapp applications. Also the browser was starting to fail because it wasn't updated. Till this day BlackBerry 10 is still far superior to any Other OS but its dead if it's not updated . I loved the OS but man I need those apps and I can't sideload those. I did pay for Whatsapp and it does work but I'm back to my key2.
    Hey Jonathan,

Definitely use whatever works for you but there are Android browsers (including one specifically designed for BB10) as well as ways to load apps for banks and such if interested. If the KEY2 serves your needs go for it but just thought I'd mention there are ways to keep using BB10 if you'd like.
    09-17-19 08:54 PM
    Hey Jonathan,

Definitely use whatever works for you but there are Android browsers (including one specifically designed for BB10) as well as ways to load apps for banks and such if interested. If the KEY2 serves your needs go for it but just thought I'd mention there are ways to keep using BB10 if you'd like.
    Please clarify for me since I’ve not had the same experience. On the apps situation, if the minimum requirement is 4.4 or higher, I have compatibility issues and experience crashing etc. With the browsers, I’ve found compatibility issues when the browser opens what I believe is called html5 browser mobile app. If browser opens desktop website, does the ART requirement still kick in?
    09-17-19 09:05 PM
    Please clarify for me since I’ve not had the same experience. On the apps situation, if the minimum requirement is 4.4 or higher, I have compatibility issues and experience crashing etc. With the browsers, I’ve found compatibility issues when the browser opens what I believe is called html5 browser mobile app. If browser opens desktop website, does the ART requirement still kick in?
    On apps you certainly have to have (or use modified) apps that are compatible with Android 4.3 or below. But there are easy ways to do that, which is the point at which I was getting.

I'm a little confused on your browser question...there is no ART requirement related to browsing specifically of which I am aware.
    09-17-19 09:08 PM
108 123 ...