Just wanted to introduce myself, share my appreciation for this site/forum, and give some of my initial thoughts.

My first smartphone was the Palm Centro on Sprint. I had that for two years, and while it did everything I really needed, the hardware and software was certainly showing its age. It came time to upgrade. Since I am on a "special" plan with Sprint, I had extremely limited options. When it was confimed that the 8530 was available to me, I started my research.

This is where I have to thank you fine folks at CB. I started lurking about 3 weeks ago and went through TONS of posts. This is a two-year commit, so I wanted to be sure I'd be happy. Again, thanks to all.

My initial thoughts on my Curve 8530 are positive. When comparing to my old Centro, the screen, weight, feel and options really beat the ol' Palm. Of course, the apps are what's really doing the trick. Since Palm's new OS, all the Garnet apps were old and stale. I am now opened up to new, fresh apps.

My current "cons" I think have more to do with me just finding my way around this phone. I just received it the other day, so I'm a real newbie. I'm missing the touch screen. I still keep trying to press the screen! Also, it seems like more steps to send and reply SMS, place a call to a contact, changing the ring profiles (Vibrate at work, Normal outside) and turning on/off bluetooth.

The bluetooth issue isn't really that big of a deal, but in California, hands-free is the law while driving. To save battery (wow, this thing is a li-ion vampire!), I turn it off when getting out of the car.

Again, I just wanted to introduce myself, say thank you to EVERYONE that posts (since there are no stupid questions!!!), and look forward to having fun - and being productive - with my new Crackberry Curve 8530.
    Last edited by decypher44; 02-10-10 at 05:23 PM.
    02-10-10 05:07 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry and BB. Once upon a time a couple of phones back I, too, had a Centro. That phone was the start of my run to the 9000. If you enjoy the BB experience half as much as me you are in for a great ride.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 05:24 PM
    Another former palm user here; I was in your same spot not so long ago, went from the centro to the curve to the bold.

I think really out of the "cons" you mentioned, the only thing I really miss is the ringer vibrate switch. I have found for me personally, sms works best integrated with my email inbox.
    As far as calling contacts, if you are at your home screen just type the first few letters of the name and it will pull up your contacts that match. This also works for sending email and sms.

Like sedalia said, enjoy the ride!

02-10-10 07:28 PM
    Welcome to crackberry and soon you will become a crackberry addict
    02-10-10 10:40 PM
    Changing ring profiles isn't that tough either, I'm not sure about the Curve, but on my Pearl and the Wife's Bold, you can scroll up to the "speaker" icon on the main screen and click on it, this will bring up the profiles menu, and you can change profiles there. That's the 2nd easiest way to "quiet" a phone of all the phones I had (easiest was a Moto dumbphone, if you kept hitting the "down volume" button it would go from "low volume" to "vibe all" to "mute all").
    02-11-10 09:59 AM
    Wecome to the Party!!!
    02-11-10 10:00 AM
    Thanks all!

02-11-10 10:50 AM
    welcome to the madness lol enjoy your stay
    02-11-10 12:34 PM
    I just made the jump to BB from a Treo 700P and am enjoying the world of BB. I did miss the ringer silence switch but the concept of sound profiles has more than made up for it. I've created a "Work" and "car" profile and it's been nice.

I do miss the Desktop software and the desktop calendar function, but I'm getting used to using the device for that. Google Calendar is blocked here at work for some reason.
    02-11-10 01:33 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry also , I see you are already using (posting from) the mobile site as well now to Enjoy your BB
    02-11-10 01:36 PM
    welcome to crackberry and blackberry
    02-11-10 02:18 PM
    I too am a former Palm user...I went from my Centro to a BB Tour and I am in absolute LOVE. Instead of using Palm's old Desktop software, I now use Outlook, and it does pretty much the same thing.

You will be so glad you switched from Palm to RIM. Good luck and welcome to the forums!!
    02-11-10 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD