does the blackberry messenger need internet?
    If I have not included an internet deal on my blackberry can I still use the messenger? Not msn but the blackberry messenger.
    08-07-08 06:18 AM
    Welcome to CB!

You need to have a data plan to use BBM.

To use the Inernet you need to have a data plan.

Recommended reading: BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by tyroni; 08-07-08 at 06:25 AM. Reason: add link
    08-07-08 06:19 AM
    so the blackberry messenger uses the internet?
    08-07-08 06:33 AM
    Yes it does
    08-07-08 06:55 AM
    so the blackberry messenger uses the internet?
    Well, it uses data transfered over RIM's servers, so yes, it needs a data plan. It doesn't really "use the internet" per se.
    08-07-08 07:02 AM
    Because a big deal is made over the ' free' blackberry messenger when actually it isn't free, an internet deal costs money.
    08-07-08 07:44 AM
    Because a big deal is made over the ' free' blackberry messenger when actually it isn't free, an internet deal costs money.
    Yeah, but you are not paying per message, are you??

And most people who own a Berry have some form of a data plan... therefore it is free for the average BlackBerry user

You need a data plan. And check out some of the links in my signature, specifically the BB 101 Lecture Series. You will learn a lot
    08-07-08 07:51 AM
    I don't have an internet data plan on T-mobile, but I do have an email plan. BB messenger works great.
    -Brent

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 07:53 AM
    I don't know who is making a big deal over it, but they are misinformed.

BBM does allow for IM, picture, and voice-note messaging without any additional cost to other BB users. Additional meaning outside of your regular data plan charges. It does not use up SMS or MMS that you have on your phone plan.
    08-07-08 07:55 AM
    I don't have an internet data plan on T-mobile, but I do have an email plan. BB messenger works great.
    -Brent

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The TMo "email only plan" is a data plan. It's just one that disables internet browsing. So yes, BBM and PIN messaging work on it.
    08-07-08 07:58 AM
    Thanks for your help! I will get an internet plan, but I am unsure how to do it. I purchased a blackberry a few days ago, and it is an British phone and I am using my British sim from vodafone. However, in a few weeks I am moving to France so are there internet cards I can buy or something?
    I am mainly interested in the blackberry messenger, as I have many colleagues on that which makes everything easier. I am wondering how I will use the mesenger
    08-07-08 08:51 AM
    And I also have a French sim card.
    08-07-08 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD