Hi all

I am starting to use my bb messenger more and more and i noticed something yesterday...

One of my friends managed to set their "status" to busy on bb messenger.... now when i went in to change my status the only option i had was available or unavailable...now he can change his to busy or unavailable...how is that???
    04-12-07 04:57 AM
    Strange, I've never seen that. Only two options I know of are 'available' or 'unavailable'...

Now, he is using BlackBerry Pin Messenger? And his version number, is it: 1.0.94?

There is apparently a new version coming out soon, unless it's already out...

ps: welcome to CrackBerry.com, enjoy your stay.
    04-12-07 06:04 AM
    Not sure what version he is using, ill have to ask him... (he works for RIM)

I did mention it to him earlier today and he said that he only has the two options the same as me... he has said that maybe he was showing as busy as he might have been doing something else on his device at the time???

Its odd as when he is unavailable he gets the little red "x" by the smiley face and his name goes into italics... when he is busy, his name goes into italics the same but no little "x" or anything and when you ask for his contact info, it says he is busy...

Im just curious thats all...!
    04-12-07 07:41 AM
    Am curious now too!

But, on a seperate note, it would be great to have a RIM employee on here. So, fancy dragging him over?
    04-12-07 08:01 AM
    Im fairly new to the bb messenger and its functions (as i didnt have it on my old bb) so hence the top level of curiousness...

I do think that they should make a couple more status options available on the bb as your quite limited at the mo...

He thinks im nuts as im on all the bb forums and send him links to here nearly every day and some of the rumour stuff is cool as i send it to him and he is like where did you get that and i say here!

I think he does browse on here already im not sure, ill have a word with him...
    04-12-07 08:07 AM
    Now, you know albeit there are not lots and lots of status options, you can set a 'message' for other to see, albeit it small...

While in Pin Messenger, click the thumbwheel (depending on device) and go to available / unavailable, and in the message section, put something. Anyone that has you in their list, will see that messsage...

ps: if you send me your pin number, I'll add you, and you can see what I mean...
    Uzi likes this.
    04-12-07 08:17 AM
    when the bb shows you someone is busy or unreachable it either means they are on the phone or have it turned off. THats all i can figure out. Hope that helps
    04-12-07 07:57 PM
    when the bb shows you someone is busy or unreachable it either means they are on the phone or have it turned off. THats all i can figure out. Hope that helps
    I think if someone is on the phone, it will show busy. But I've noticed that even if someone has their BB turned off, and never changed their status before doing so (turned it off while still showing Available in BB Messenger), they will continue to show available.

With the 4.2 software, I have noticed little status icons associated with a contact that seem to indicate that they are texting at the time, and that they are on the phone. I would really like to see a breakdown of all the status icons as I'm still confused about some things.
    04-13-07 11:25 AM
    When someone goes busy, that generally means that you have sent them a message and they have not read it, hence they are busy (their status will change about a minute after you send the message if it remains unopened). Once they open the message, their appearance will go back to normal.
    04-13-07 03:47 PM
    Kasper,

with 4.2 I've also noticed what looks to be a phone that appears sometimes on the bottom left hand side of the contact, do you know if that is what it is actually supposed to be? Usually I'll get a 'busy' status on a contact displaying that icon.

Also, I have seen the 'test bubble' that appears when they are typing, but there are some images I'm not sure of. Of course they are very small, so deciphering them can be a challenge
    04-13-07 04:10 PM
    I think the image you are referring to is actually a clock with hour and second hands. It shows when a contact is busy and has not answered your message.
    04-13-07 06:44 PM
    You might be right. I think I'll make an appointment with the optomotrist next week
    04-13-07 06:56 PM
    I think the image you are referring to is actually a clock with hour and second hands. It shows when a contact is busy and has not answered your message.
    Actually that indicates a contact is unreachable.

Busy is an icon that displays a circle with a diagonal line thru it.

Unavailable is a circle with a horizontal yellow line thru it.

Also when sending a IM, a check mark means it left YOUR device. A check mark with a D above it means it was delivered. A check mark with a R means the IM was Read.
    04-19-07 10:17 AM
    Actually that indicates a contact is unreachable.

Busy is an icon that displays a circle with a diagonal line thru it.

Unavailable is a circle with a horizontal yellow line thru it.

Also when sending a IM, a check mark means it left YOUR device. A check mark with a D above it means it was delivered. A check mark with a R means the IM was Read.
    Welcome goblue. Enjoy your stay and look forward to seeing you regularly.
    The hour and second hands doesnt mean the contact us unreachable, it shows the person has "timed-out" in respect that for example, if i sent a message to someone and they dont respond immediately or for a period of time, it will appear...
    04-19-07 01:57 PM
    Welcome goblue. Enjoy your stay and look forward to seeing you regularly.
    The hour and second hands doesnt mean the contact us unreachable, it shows the person has "timed-out" in respect that for example, if i sent a message to someone and they dont respond immediately or for a period of time, it will appear...
    Actually I think we are talking about 2 different things....

The first three items in my post refer to the "status icon" at top of BB Messenger (little guy). The rest are to the right of the IM's. When you send someone a IM and they "time out" you are correct it is a CLOCK where the check mark usually shows up. If this happens you will notice their icon turns to a shaded person with a clock (very small). If you go back to main screen and highlight that person, select "contact info" it will say unreachable in thier status.

Are we on same page now?

Also it does not mean anything if they do not respond. It will show a "D" above check mark that the item has been delivered. Once they read it, it will go to a "R".

I just tested this Verizon to Sprint.

Thanks for the warm welcome, look forward to posting alot here.
    Last edited by goblue; 04-19-07 at 02:13 PM.
    04-19-07 02:11 PM
    The first three items in my post refer to the "status icon" at top of BB Messenger (little guy).
    OK, i think we were always on the same page, its more about how its been described. I agree about the D and R in the IMs.

The part i have left in the quote that maybe causing confusion....Is this icon when you are in the contacts info?
    04-19-07 02:23 PM
    Is this icon when you are in the contacts info?
    Yes and it also appears in conversation screen at top left.
    04-19-07 02:25 PM
    Is BB Mesngr the preferred mode of communication versus just initiating and replying to a PIN? If yes, why?
    01-23-08 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD