I have had my BB-9700 for about 2 months.

I have used BB Maps several times........and used the 'Local Search' feature several times and it worked flaw lessly.

For about a week now every time I select 'Local Search' the menu simply closes and I'm back on the map screen..........nothing really happens at all. (NOTE: My 9700 has a had a few full reboots since this started.......no change).

I read some bug issues from back 1-2 years ago......but........didn't read anything recent on this.

Any clues????? Thanks for any info!!
    03-03-10 12:33 PM
    Just a thought........

Would downloading/installing a locator program like "POYNT" disable something like "Local Search" in BB Maps????

It would seem that both would be unrelated. But.......in past experience on windows based systems it often seems that some PC installations have a designed way of interferring with competing programs.

Any thoughts!!
    03-05-10 12:06 PM
    Hey duckduke,

Good question. 3rd party applications cannot impact native application features in the way you describe. Speaking specifically to Poynt, Poynt does not circumvent features or capabilities of other applications.
    03-05-10 01:08 PM
    depietro: Thanks for the input/info!! I was just trying to think logically.........I guess it didn't work Thanks again!!

Oh.......... "Local Search" still doesn't do anything

EDIT:::::::::JUST NOTICED SOMETHING NEW::::::: (I simply did not notice before)

When BB Maps is open and I hit "MENU" (and the menu screen opens)
    .........at the top of the BB Map Menu list is "POYNT FROM HERE".

Maybe this is added and overrides the 'Local Search' which is contained in the same menu. ?????
    Last edited by duckduke; 03-05-10 at 04:34 PM.
    03-05-10 04:27 PM
    Depietro is correct, Poynt doesn't remove or change native functionalities within BlackBerry Maps. The "Poynt From Here" item will set your Poynt search location to wherever the crosshair is on the map.
    03-05-10 10:49 PM
    Hummm...I found this thread because I have exactly the same issue with my 9700 on AT&T. I had to dl the BB Maps Launcher app to get to maps at all because every time I did an OTA d/l from BB, the icon disappeared the next time I did a reboot. Guess the AT&T OS is removing that for me so they can gouge another $9.99 from me each month. With the launcher program, maps opens fine and everything works except "Local Search". When I press it, it goes right back to the map just as the OP describes. Any guesses as to how to fix this?
    03-22-10 04:36 PM
    Ah-ha. I dug a bit further and found that when I did a fresh OTA d/l of maps, it installed LBS_RIBBON on the device. Now if I enter Maps either thru the native icon or thru the maps launcher app, Local Search works perfectly. I did a backup of the file with desktop manager and whenever it disappears, I'll just reinstall it. Apparently the core application that AT&T allows me to have on the device doesn't include lbs_ribbon. Sorry if this is old news to the experts out there, but maybe it'll help the OP
    03-22-10 06:56 PM
    Stogies or anyone: This sounds like a great idea but where/how to locate OTA download of Blackberry Maps????

I've looked and I did find way on the Blackberry web site here:
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Maps Download

For some reason all I could get was an 'error'.

Simply looking to OTA download/install Blackberry Maps. Thanks for any info!!
    04-03-10 05:20 PM
    Never mind..........no need to OTA BB Maps.

All you need is the ribbon which can be downloaded at mobile.blackberry.com (scoll down and look for BB Maps download........this will download the ribbon)

Once the ribbon is downloaded......'Local Search' will work as described above.

Some additional info can be found here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f152/bl...sabled-378498/

(NOTE: The AT&T Launcher provided in these forums is great, but, does not fix the 'Local Search' issue. The only way I have found for 'Local Search' to work in BB Maps is with the ribbon installed. The repair described in the above link may be a better and more permanent fix since the ribbon can mysteriously disappear on a reboot.)
    04-03-10 06:09 PM
    Everytime I reboot (battery pull)...........the ribbon is lost on my AT&T unit.

The only way to maintain 'Local Search' for BB Maps (for me) is to keep the link for the BB ribbon download bookmarked in my browser and download/re-install the ribbon after any system reboot.

Hope this helps someone.

What a crock
    04-04-10 08:19 AM
    Everytime I reboot (battery pull)...........the ribbon is lost on my AT&T unit.
    Mine was doing that too until I upgraded the OS. Got rid of the vendor.xml file and followed the instructions found here...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/ne...tasian-454542/
    Maybe that will help you too. Yes indeed, what a crock.
    04-20-10 04:05 PM
    Thanks!! I will certainly try this.

I have upgraded .293 to .405 via AT&T.........but..........I think I will try an OS upgrade to resolve this. Thanks again!!
    04-22-10 07:56 PM
    I send my location to people thru bbm and I saved a location to see what would happen. How do I delete it?? Anyone know???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-10 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD