Is there a way to see which way you are facing when using BB maps. There's a compass app so why not incorporrate it in the maps? Is there a option I'm missing maybe?

Seems odd that the two are not combined, would make maps awesome.
    02-22-12 04:27 PM
    Is there a way to see which way you are facing when using BB maps. There's a compass app so why not incorporrate it in the maps? Is there a option I'm missing maybe?

Seems odd that the two are not combined, would make maps awesome.
    Good idea, I think they should also combine it with BlackBerry traffic and make one complete application rather than 3 separate things.
    02-22-12 04:36 PM
    Got off my train yesterday, was .5 of a K away from destination but did not know which way to set off

So it was walk.......check.....no......walk.....check...no etc.

C'mon RIM you've a great compass app, maps is pretty good. COMBINE THE TWO....

PLEASE
    02-22-12 04:44 PM
    Not all BlackBerry devices have built-in magnetic compasses. The PlayBook does; my 8830, 9630, and 9650 do not. You don't specify which model you have. Devices without magnetic compasses use two consecutive points from the GPS to determine direction. This means you have to walk a few feet before the compass will point correctly. If you stand in place and rotate your body, a GPS-based compass won't be able to determine which way you are pointing at any given instant.
    02-22-12 07:47 PM
    Sorry should have said I have a 9900. So it has a digital compass and maps but doesnt integrate the two.

It just seems such an obvious user interface design decision. Android and os both do it from what I remember. But regardless if the tech is there why not use it?
    02-22-12 08:44 PM
    I can't tell from reading the specs whether the 9900 has a magnetic compass or not. I'm not sure what mean by the digital compass and the map app are not integrated. If the map does not rotate to show your direction of travel up, you can enable that. You will still have to be moving for the digital compass to calculate your heading from consecutive GPS fixes.
    02-22-12 08:55 PM
    By digital compass I mean the built in compass app, if it can tell which way is north without you moving, which it can, then there is no reason technically that I can think of for an arrow telling you which way you (the handset) are facing when looking in bb maps.

I would just like that feature in os7 maps as per android goggle maps. It would be very useful.
    02-22-12 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD