I have been following Jolla Tablet campaign and thinking why BB doesn't see space for BB Tablet...?

If you don't know who Jolla is; they are small company created by ex-Nokians and they have Sailfish OS(Similar to BB10, Linux based, Runs Android apps). Last year they announced their phone and this year it is tablet. Specs seems decent, very similar to iPad Mini 3 with $209 usd price + shipping. I pledged for one, love to support all alternative companies in mobile industry.

More:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j...blet/x/9174763

edit: mods, not sure if category is right...
    11-20-14 10:43 AM
    That looks like a pretty sweet tablet for sure.
    11-20-14 10:51 AM
    Jolla has something going for it which BB does not... It's new. So it will grab much more attention than what Chen thinks another BB Tablet will do. JC didn't say that he sees no space for a BB Tablet, he said in order for him to sign off on making a BB Tablet it has to do something different than the rest. Much like the Passport is doing right now. Reality is that Jolla has yet to show to me why should I buy it instead of a well established company like Nexus, Samsung, etc's tablet... And that shows why Chen is waiting for BB to figure out something than the rest. Because right now all the tablets are basically the same.
    stevobbm, Supa_Fly1 and gfondeur like this.
    11-20-14 10:59 AM
    Can I run the Blend Android App on this tablet? Kinda has the stainless steel frame theme going. Would pair nicely with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 12:27 PM
    Seems like that they have an android runtime like BB10. The question is its functionality. Is it back to where BB 10.0 was or is it where the 10.3.1 runtime is? That's the real question here.
    11-20-14 03:04 PM
    I have been following Jolla Tablet campaign and thinking why BB doesn't see space for BB Tablet...?
    Because Jolla isn't going to make any noticeable impact on tablet sales. No, seriously. It won't be worth mentioning.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Rello and kbz1960 like this.
    11-20-14 03:15 PM
    Seems like that they have an android runtime like BB10. The question is its functionality. Is it back to where BB 10.0 was or is it where the 10.3.1 runtime is? That's the real question here.
    It's much like BB10 after we could load APK directly onto the device... They can use any of the 3rd party stores to download apps.

But just like BB10 they don't have Google Play Compatibility Really think that Sailfish, Tizen, BB10, along with the non compliant China releases of Android are why Google is closing ranks.

Looks like nice hardware at a pretty good price... battery seems a little small. But it would be neat tablet for $230 (with the US shipping). It has an Intel processor, wonder if you could install Windows 8.1 on it too?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-14 03:18 PM
    It's not just a bunch of ex-Nokians releasing a new product but sort of a new version of one of Nokia's last great hits - Jolla traces its roots to the stillborn Nokia N9. The N9 is yet another example of how good products can be killed through bad management and biased/ignorant press (you'll remember how everything Apple made was rubbish right up to the minute where they became magical). It was based on Linux and, much like WebOS and BB10, a custom all-touch user interface with gestures . Apps were to be written against the QT library which brought with it the possibility to port many existing QT applications. That would allow developers to target both later Symbian releases and Meego Harmattan (name of the software stack N9 ran) so Nokia would have a transition path that would allow developers a new platform to look forward to and therefore have motivation to develop apps in the first place. I suppose users could just upgrade their apps to native Meego versions when they moved from Symbian to Meego.

Then, Mr. Elop killed the Meego effort with his famous burning platform memo and the product wasn't properly marketed. Yet anybody who tried it seems to have loved it. However, as Nokia transitioned to the Windows Phone platform development stopped and many bugs on this new platform were left for the users to fix on their own or to deal with, period. Some were fixed and new software distributions were rolled out, but as only part of the stack was open source I believe that effort has stalled. Jolla started along the same lines, but their user interface is new code, built on the same open source components (Meego) as Nokia but distinct from the Nokia user interface (Harmattan). Many N9 users were therefore looking forward to the Jolla phone.

However, this indiegogo success is a bit misleading for exactly that reason. N9 users are/were some of the most dedicated anywhere because they have found a product that they loved and had no equal in the marketplace because it is more open than Android, iOS or BB10 and has a great interface as BB10 and WebOS users would admit. If the Jolla phone did sell at all despite the really poor specs, that's because of the software stack and a dedicated userbase. Yet we are talking of only several thousand orders so far. It takes only minutes on Crackberry for a thousand free licenses to disappear. Those few thousand orders may represent all of Jolla's potential market, which might be a grim counterpoint.
    11-20-14 03:52 PM
    I am also one of big MeeGo fans that is currently using both BB and Jolla phone. BB10 is very similar to MeeGo, I would say even more than Sailfish, but Sailfish on tablet seems like perfect fit. I meantime campaign passed 1 million USD https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/j...blet/x/9174763
    11-20-14 04:16 PM
    This is actually pretty cool. I'd love to contribute

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT on T-MO
    11-20-14 05:09 PM
    I will be buying one unless BB gives me a better reason not too. I always go for the small guy. Like the attitude.

May go for the phone if it becomes available in the US. Could be the end of my BB affair.
    11-20-14 05:15 PM
    I will be buying one unless BB gives me a better reason not too. I always go for the small guy. Like the attitude.

May go for the phone if it becomes available in the US. Could be the end of my BB affair.
    I only go for the small guy if there's a benefit in there for me

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    11-20-14 05:19 PM
    Because Jolla isn't going to make any noticeable impact on tablet sales. No, seriously. It won't be worth mentioning.

Penned via Tapatalk
    I don't understand why people don't understand this. Everyone though most BlackBerry users would also buy a PlayBook and we see how that went lol

I think they will eventually make one but it's gonna have to do more than simply be a big screen running BB10

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 05:22 PM
    Why do some think that BlackBerry should copy everything others do?

? Z10
    11-20-14 05:50 PM
    This look sweet! But how's their app store?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:12 PM
    Jolla phone won't come to US, I know for sure, you can try eBay.

This look sweet! But how's their app store?

Posted via CB10
    Native app store is really small, but from my experience Sailfish runs apps better than BB10.
    11-20-14 06:20 PM
    As for BB,,,. it comes down to whether Chen thinks it fits into his business model... in essence ... if Business asks for one you may see one..... if not would not hold my breath.... also it is a bit too soon as the stink of the Playbook still plaques the BB brand..... ( PS..,. I own three playbooks ) not a dig just a fact....
    11-20-14 06:24 PM
    Sailfish OS does a much, much better job of running Android applications. There isn't a Android runtime in Sailfish. The OS itself is compatible with Android apps and hardware.

Jolla?s Sailfish OS is now compatible with Android apps and hardware - The Latest Gadget News and Reviews - GadgetNerdly

With Sailfish, there is no starting up a Android player and waiting for things to load. A app is an app wheter it is a Sailfish or Android app. As a bonus, Sailfish users can easily add Google Services and then run pretty much any Android app there is, including Google Play, which identifies Sailfish devices as just another Android device.

There truly is no comparison when it comes to piggybacking off of Android. Jolla simply does it better.
    11-20-14 06:34 PM
    Sailfish OS does a much, much better job of running Android applications. There isn't a Android runtime in Sailfish. The OS itself is compatible with Android apps and hardware.

Jolla?s Sailfish OS is now compatible with Android apps and hardware - The Latest Gadget News and Reviews - GadgetNerdly

With Sailfish, there is no starting up a Android player and waiting for things to load. A app is an app wheter it is a Sailfish or Android app. As a bonus, Sailfish users can easily add Google Services and then run pretty much any Android app there is, including Google Play, which identifies Sailfish devices as just another Android device.

There truly is no comparison when it comes to piggybacking off of Android. Jolla simply does it better.
    So, it runs all of android apps? If it does, I'll pick this tablet up

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:58 PM
    @Witme nicely explained, now I know the reason my Jolla runs Android better than my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    You will have problems with some, but more apps work on Jolla then on BB10. There is also Google Play installation tutorial, but I don't know the details, Google it.
    11-20-14 07:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    It is impossible for anyone to answer that question with 100% certainty. After all, many actual Android devices can't run ALL Android apps. There are a few too many Android apps out there to test them all, but I've yet to encounter an Android app that didn't run on my Sailfish. I think you'd have to try really hard to find one that didn't work.
    11-20-14 07:31 PM
    It is impossible for anyone to answer that question with 100% certainty. After all, many actual Android devices can't run ALL Android apps. There are a few too many Android apps out there to test them all, but I've yet to encounter an Android app that didn't run on my Sailfish. I think you'd have to try really hard to find one that didn't work.
    Are you running Sailfish on a Nexus device? If Sailfish 2.0 gets released in alpha I may give it a whirl.
    11-20-14 07:52 PM
    Are you running Sailfish on a Nexus device? If Sailfish 2.0 gets released in alpha I may give it a whirl.
    On a nexus??

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    11-21-14 12:52 AM
    It's not just a bunch of ex-Nokians releasing a new product but sort of a new version of one of Nokia's last great hits - Jolla traces its roots to the stillborn Nokia N9. The N9 is yet another example of how good products can be killed through bad management and biased/ignorant press (you'll remember how everything Apple made was rubbish right up to the minute where they became magical). It was based on Linux and, much like WebOS and BB10, a custom all-touch user interface with gestures . Apps were to be written against the QT library which brought with it the possibility to port many existing QT applications. That would allow developers to target both later Symbian releases and Meego Harmattan (name of the software stack N9 ran) so Nokia would have a transition path that would allow developers a new platform to look forward to and therefore have motivation to develop apps in the first place. I suppose users could just upgrade their apps to native Meego versions when they moved from Symbian to Meego.

Then, Mr. Elop killed the Meego effort with his famous burning platform memo and the product wasn't properly marketed. Yet anybody who tried it seems to have loved it. However, as Nokia transitioned to the Windows Phone platform development stopped and many bugs on this new platform were left for the users to fix on their own or to deal with, period. Some were fixed and new software distributions were rolled out, but as only part of the stack was open source I believe that effort has stalled. Jolla started along the same lines, but their user interface is new code, built on the same open source components (Meego) as Nokia but distinct from the Nokia user interface (Harmattan). Many N9 users were therefore looking forward to the Jolla phone.

However, this indiegogo success is a bit misleading for exactly that reason. N9 users are/were some of the most dedicated anywhere because they have found a product that they loved and had no equal in the marketplace because it is more open than Android, iOS or BB10 and has a great interface as BB10 and WebOS users would admit. If the Jolla phone did sell at all despite the really poor specs, that's because of the software stack and a dedicated userbase. Yet we are talking of only several thousand orders so far. It takes only minutes on Crackberry for a thousand free licenses to disappear. Those few thousand orders may represent all of Jolla's potential market, which might be a grim counterpoint.

yeah, such a great system. had 2 fantastic years with the n9 and the community. i couldn't understand ditching such a os, too.

great post.

cheers,
    neovty
    11-21-14 01:13 AM

No, they don't. BB10 is, in fact, exactly the same. We might call it the "Android runtime", but it isn't emulation anymore than it is in Sailfish.

The BIG difference is that while BB10 can run absolutely EVERYTHING that Sailfish can, the BB10 native library is much bigger than Jolla's.
    11-21-14 01:20 AM
53 123