Hey these are 2 new phones that RIM made, but i just wanted to know the difference between the javelin and the niagra
    04-02-09 05:50 PM
    One starts with a J and ends with avelin while the other starts with an N and ends with iagra. Hope that helps!
    04-02-09 05:53 PM
    The Javelin (8900) is a 2G GSM handset. The Niagara (9630) is yet to be released but is CDMA based but capable of EV-DO Rev A data, supposedly.

Those are the biggest differences. It doesn't matter what OS or CPU speed is if you are stuck with a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon or a GSM carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile. If you can't switch then you'll be limited to the device they have to offer. The good thing about GSM devices is that they can be unlocked and used on other GSM carriers. You cannot do this with Verizon and Sprint phones.

Yes, this is a very USA centric answer, I don't know much about wireless services in Europe.
    04-02-09 06:00 PM
    8900 adopts the Curve's keyboard and the Niagra adopts the Bold's keyboard. Persoanlly, I cannot stand the Bold's keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 08:01 PM
    I personally think the 8900 is much better looking. Lol

Just echoing what people say, the biggest difference is in the gsm vs cdma technology because that will be your biggest issue - you'll go with whatever your carrier uses. If you're not carrier-loyal then it'll go down to smaller things

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD