Hi guys. So I just recently was able to get the wonderful Japanese input available on my Bold with the .216 OS EastAsia. It's great, though of course anyone I send japanese text to can't read it and it just comes up as small white boxes. Would be cool if they could read it. But anyway, that's not the point of this thread.

I have one (1) Japanese friend in my life haha. I live in GA and while there are some Japanese here, most asians here are Korean. Anyway, she is an older adult and she has a phone called an LG Vu? It's with AT&T she says. I don't keep up with mobile news unless it's blackberry (and I just now recently started keeping up with that news).

I am a beginner of Japanese and she loves to sort of help me along and she wants very badly to be able to not only read my Japanese texts on her phone, but also to have Japanese input on her phone as well to send to me.

I am 100% new to Japanese input on any phones, and this Bold is my first Blackberry (got it on Christmas) - therefore, forgive the long explanation please. Basically, does the LG Vu (pronounced View?) allow Japanese input? I googled but am not coming up with much. If not, what are other phones that do allow it so that we can communicate in Japanese through text messages/e-mails? She tells me she's not all that happy with her LG Vu anyway, so if it turns out she has to have a blackberry in order to do it, she may buy one someday eventually anyway. However, I'd definitely like to save her the money first, if at all possible. Plus, it may be kind of dumb to just buy a new phone altogether to type in Japanese with me on it. Unless she really hates that LG Vu. :P

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated here. Thank you so much for your time - I hope I posted this in the right place.
    01-26-09 01:37 PM
    With no reply yet, I'm wondering if people just don't know any answers or suggestions, or if there is a better place in the forums to ask this? If the latter, would someone be so kind as to redirect me?
    01-27-09 09:58 PM
    Jonneh -

I tripped over your question while searching for a how to on Japanese input on the Curve. This is just a thought, but perhaps no one here has responded to your question about the LG Vu because ... it's not a Blackberry?

Anyway, I noticed an LG Vu forum at www. ->

phonescoop.com/phones/p_forum.php?ff=1378

...but didn't see a discussion of Japanese input there.

Other candidates... [ Login required to search these ]

www. ->

lg-vu.com
    howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Sorry about the funky way of listing the links... It wouldn't let me post an actual URL since I just created this userid tonight.

Good luck.

8-)
    01-30-09 12:46 AM
    Thanks a lot for your response - it's very much appreciated.
    I figured it still kind of related a little, I mean, this is the "general Blackberry forum" and all, and this question has to do with blackberries and asian input support in general as well, along with the LG VU stuff. So, I don't know - I just wanted some help with it, and google did not turn up any good results at all. In fact, I tried again earlier tonight to see if I could find something about it, and I again found nothing. So, thank you for that link to the LG Forum. Maybe I'll be able to start an LG VU Japanese input thread there. We'll see.

Thanks again =)
    01-30-09 12:53 AM
    Are you using hiragana when you type? Can't you just the english alphabet (romaji)? Boku wa Troy desu

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by eripmu; 01-30-09 at 12:12 PM.
    01-30-09 02:27 AM
    (Didn't mean to come across as chastising you for the post, btw.)

I wonder if (part of) the lack of response was just the relative newness of the LG Vu. Anyway, hopefully the LG Forum will pan out. You'll be a pioneer... blazing new trails.

Good luck on your Japanese quest also. If you're looking for a useful resource with that, I recently ran across a Japanese language column in the Yomiuri Shinbun. (No, I don't read it regularly... I was Googling). It's called Pera Pera Penguin, and each "lesson" is about five or ten minutes of material. If you want to take a peek at that, they list the ones they've done here:

www.

yomiuri.co.jp/dy/columns/0002

As with your J-input effort, good luck with your learning.

- Pat
    01-30-09 04:27 AM
    Are you using hiragana when you type? Can't you just the english alphabet (simplified)? Boku wa Troy desu

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes, I am using hiragana. Rather, we would LIKE to be using that. And it also has kanji though I am definitely not up to that level as of yet. That is what we do right now - type in romaji, like you just did. However, once actually learning the language in a serious manner, you realize romaji is a bad crutch and you really need to get more used to actually reading at native speed in hiragana, katakana, and even kanji. As of now I read VERY slowly lol. Of course, as I said, though, right now she can't read what I send because it's just white boxes on her phone, and she also can't type any japanese other than romaji to me with her phone.

(Didn't mean to come across as chastising you for the post, btw.)

I wonder if (part of) the lack of response was just the relative newness of the LG Vu. Anyway, hopefully the LG Forum will pan out. You'll be a pioneer... blazing new trails.

Good luck on your Japanese quest also. If you're looking for a useful resource with that, I recently ran across a Japanese language column in the Yomiuri Shinbun. (No, I don't read it regularly... I was Googling). It's called Pera Pera Penguin, and each "lesson" is about five or ten minutes of material. If you want to take a peek at that, they list the ones they've done here:

www.

yomiuri.co.jp/dy/columns/0002

As with your J-input effort, good luck with your learning.

- Pat
    Hey no problem! You didn't come off as that at all, don't worry =) I was just happy to have a response anyway hahah

I haven't had a chance to go over to the LG Vu forums and try yet, and the only reason I'm even here right now (I just woke up :P) is that I was subscribed to this thread and get e-mails sent to my blackberry haha. Hopefully, if she still wants the input badly enough, I will find time to go over there and ask about it.

Thanks again for all your help and kind words. Thet Pera Pera Penguin thing, oddly enough, I have never seen or heard of! Neat! Thank you!
    01-30-09 11:40 AM
    Sorry can't help you out with a program. But, have you ever heard of Rosetta Stone? That's a great way to learn Japanese. I'm actually trying to learn Japanese that way. The program isn't tuff itself it's the language. Wow it's tuff to learn but in the same time it's rewarding.
    01-30-09 01:40 PM
    Yes, I've heard of that program. Unfortunately it is wildly expensive, haha. If I save up a couple paychecks and quit buying fast food and going out, I could probably manage though. And I just might someday. Thanks for the suggestion learning another language is quite rewarding. After japanese I am already thinking about others..
    01-30-09 02:08 PM
    I think I might have an answer... Have you tried PiClip? It's not made specifically for blackberry... but it works on my Pearl. I'm not 100% on whether it works on other phones, but if it uses basic java and the phone has an sd card it should work.

I haven't found a post about how to do romaji into kanji... or any input with Pearl.

But basically what I did is install the CJK font support, install PiClip.

PiClip lets you type in hiragana, katakana and kanji. You just type and pick from the list of kana/kanji choices. It lets you copy the text and also send SMS (though I haven't tried sending.) But only inside the program can you send SMS.

If you try to copy and paste it into SMS it will turn into ???? or squares... But I found that if you copy and paste it into MMS it will show up fine. (I've sent it by MMS, and it shows up fine for the other person too... if they have the font support).

So... then all that's left is my poor version of auto convert romaji-kana/kanji...

Go to options->autotext, and then make new entries... and paste what you want the words converted to. But with this I use specifically the romaji and not the meaning, because it will autoconvert whenever you use the word.

Like if you put "meadow" to autoconvert to 原. It would ALWAYS convert to that. Which can be annoying when you're not using japanese. So instead put "hara" or whatever romaji you want.

The only problem with this is homophones! ^^ I wish I could find a better way.

I wonder does the new OS work for Pearl too? Hu~~

Hope I helped!
    (btw, I'm new here too ^^)
    02-03-09 02:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";