If there is anyone out there that can help me with this I would appreciate it.

My wife is legally blind and is currently using the motorola razor phone. The back cover is broken off of it and she wants to update to a new phone. I just purchased a storm and she was thinking of getting a different BB. The problem is that the razor has a talking phone option. When you push the keypad it says the number outloud that you are pushing. It will also say outloud the contact that you scroll through when navigating through the contact list. The people at Verizon couldn't tell me if any of the BBs would do this. So I called Blackberry. They didn't know either and said that they would e-mail me within 5 business days to let me know what they found out.

So does anyone know any type of app that I could download to any BB that would enable a talking keypad? Any help you can give on this would be much appreciated. Chad
    05-27-09 03:26 PM
    05-27-09 03:44 PM
    I really hope you find something that works for her.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 03:51 PM
    Search for 'talks' on google, i dont think its for BB but it will certainly help you.
    05-27-09 05:00 PM
    If there is anyone out there that can help me with this I would appreciate it.

My wife is legally blind and is currently using the motorola razor phone. The back cover is broken off of it and she wants to update to a new phone. I just purchased a storm and she was thinking of getting a different BB. The problem is that the razor has a talking phone option. When you push the keypad it says the number outloud that you are pushing. It will also say outloud the contact that you scroll through when navigating through the contact list. The people at Verizon couldn't tell me if any of the BBs would do this. So I called Blackberry. They didn't know either and said that they would e-mail me within 5 business days to let me know what they found out.

So does anyone know any type of app that I could download to any BB that would enable a talking keypad? Any help you can give on this would be much appreciated. Chad
    Might want to check out the LG EnV or EnV2.

not only does it do what you ask, but it also reads you your SMS messages. It verbally alerts you to who's calling, incoming SMS messages, and is very blind friendly.
    05-27-09 05:52 PM
    Yup enV or enV 2 can read messages to you. Really cool.
    Also, try Vlingo. You can voice dial and SMS with it.
    05-27-09 07:25 PM
    I totally agree. I had an Envi before a blackberry & I loved that phone. I thought the feature to read messages & such was pretty cool but I imagine it would be that much more so in your wifes situation.
    If you can't get a blackberry to provide exactly what she needs then you're doing her a major disservice & wasting cash at that.
    Good luck with your search!

05-28-09 02:04 AM
    I also think that the keyboard itself on a blackberry would be especially confusing for someone who cant see it well.

The keys are bunched up pretty much compared to any other "regular" phone out there..

I think the suggestion of a env might be nice..

I hope you guys find a good solution. I will take a look around to see if I can find any apps that do this but I haven't heard of one before..

good luck!
    05-28-09 04:09 AM
    Thank you very much to all that helped me out on this. Blackberry wasn't any help at all. I just got a response from them today that said that the phone can use voice commands to dial. I already knew that and that wasn't even my question that I was asking them in the first place!!!

Sounds like the EnV is the way that we will probably go.

Chad
    05-28-09 11:11 AM
    I think you will both b very happy with that choice. And if for some reason you're not you do have th 15 days to change your mind.

05-28-09 11:28 AM
    I would get as much BB as you all can afford and I would check to make sure it supports the latest version of Vlingo - a comer. My Storm only has a virtual Keyboard, but I can call my loved ones with my voice. For now, a BB with a keyboard is likely a must. If you travel internationally, check out the 8830, a sweet BB !

Doctor Neutron
    05-28-09 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD