I just ordered a Q10, that's my contingency plan! Actually, if BlackBerry was thrown to the wolves, I would have gone Windows Phone too.
    09-01-13 08:06 PM
    Care to share, why Windows Phone is your next choice?

I see that Windows User interface is the least attractive. Square, stamps and not customizable.

The application ui design is also confusing. Because windows want to make all apps UI following their standard. For example Facebook application is way different look than original FB UI.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 10:14 PM
    I'd probably just reactivate one of my old phones:

BitPusher2600 likes this.
    09-01-13 10:22 PM
    For me, I'll continue to utilize my Z10 as long as I have carrier support. BlackBerry may end up being bought by a company that wants to sell new phones six months later. So, if the what if scenario kicks in, My plan is use whatever is available that will fill my needs - regardless of the platform.
    09-01-13 10:39 PM

I see that Windows User interface is the least attractive. Square, stamps and not customizable.

The application ui design is also confusing. Because windows want to make all apps UI following their standard. For example Facebook application is way different look than original FB UI.

Posted via CB10
    For me it's partially the Windows office integration and partially simply because it's not android or apple.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 10:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    I would just re-state that it would require BIS to down and my device unusuable (no data) before I would go to anything else.

As for Windows Phone, it's because Microsoft is the only company of the remaining bunch I remotely like. I can't take Android seriously nor do I want anything to do with Google, and I refuse iOS because I like to have full unhibited access to my own data (usb mass storage).
    09-01-13 11:10 PM
    My plan B is what I wanted for plan A.

BlackBerry should partner with hardware manufacturers and scratch their back significantly better than Google does.

Example Sony. Give them a deal that they could share the app sale revenue.

15% Sony
    15% Blackberry
    70% Developer
    Yeah this won’t work.Your post makes seems to rely on the premise that app sales deliver significant revenue to Apple, Google and Amazon, but in fact they are run more like break even businesses by those companies. The purpose of app stores is to drive sales of hardware (Apple), device activations (Google), or to encourage hardware sales which will ultimately lead to content sales (Amazon). Their purpose is not to generate any real profit for those companies. In fact, when it comes to apps, it’s the successful developers who absorb the profits. This becomes apparent once you plug in actual numbers instead of the percentages you’ve used.

As an example, Apple reported a couple months back that $10 billion had peen paid to developers since the App Store opened five years prior. Since developers take 70% of app revenue, that pins overall App Store revenue for that period at roughly $14 billion over the previous five tears. So, despite how successful the App Store has been, Apple’s take over the four years has been just $4 billion, and that’s BEFORE costs, which include credit card fees, marketing, actually serving apps, building and refining the SDK annually, etc. To put that number in perspective, last quarter the company $2 billion was paid to developers in just the last few months, that’s still just $850 million for Apple over the same period, which is a run-rate of about $3.5 billion for the year. This is still just 2.5% of annual revenue.

Despite the above, let’s consider your idea. Let’s say BBRY can generate half as much revenue as the App Store (which is a generous estimate at $1.4 billion a year). The 70% developer cut sends $1 billion to developers, leaving BBRY with $400 million. Then, let’s split that in two, since we’re sharing it with Sony, so $200 million each. That may seem like a lot, but it really isn’t to a company like Sony if what you’re asking in return is for Sony to invest in a platform that lacks broad consumer support.
    09-01-13 11:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    MS Office integration, One Note mobile, able to pin anything to the start screen (a feature I wish BB10 had) I find the Windows Phone 8 platform functional, but still lacking in some areas, I like it better than iOS or Android.
    09-01-13 11:34 PM
    Well to be honest it really depends on your meaning on Attractive. in my opinion it should be clean and minimalistic simple. But yea if you don't find it attractive it's your opinion

also the reason why it looks like other Facebook apps is because it's a massive app and because MS and Facebook built it. (wish Facebook built BB's)

sent using my Z10
    09-02-13 12:54 AM
    Well, I figure android gingerbread was around for awhile so even if 10.2 is the last one it'll last a few years. I can't see anything but BlackBerry anymore after seeing the others, Don't care either.

Meaning, the new ideas presented in BlackBerry 10 are a few years ahead, and jellybean means most new apps will he able to be side loaded even three or four years from now, so w.e

While I don't know about apple, android is here to stay as it seems the only thing that entrenched windows was pcs being expensive, open things will usually sell more long term due to lower costs.

Posted via CB10. Khalistan Zindabad
    09-02-13 01:06 AM
    In a what-if, worst-case scenario where the BlackBerry becomes extinct, I'd return to Nokia. My very first phone was a Nokia (that was around 1997 or 1998), and I've always used Nokias up until I switched to BlackBerry in 2011. No way will I go iPhone or Samsung.
    09-02-13 04:12 AM
    In the event that BlackBerry stopped its hardware business, I would continue using the supported Q10. If the software updates were to cease at 10.2.X as well, I would fall back to my 9370 right away. Now, if the BlackBerry infrastructure stopped or changed hands I would first look to acquire and localize the consumer version of that. Assuming that will never happen, I would coerce Verizon into shipping me a free Lumia 822 or its natural successor. Out of the top three operating systems, Microsoft is the only one I do not dislike. Nokia being the best in hardware quality.

Posted via keyboard bearing Q10
    09-02-13 09:17 AM
    I'm not a Blackberry fanboy (I own smartphones for all the major mobile OS, though I haven't bought a BB10 device yet - I do intend to do so regardless what happens to Blackberry), but in all seriousness provided Blackberry doesn't shut down its servers, Blackberry advocates can use Blackberry devices for many years to come. As a frame of reference, look at webOS. There are still many webOS (and heck, Palm OS) devices floating around on eBay, including many that are new-in-box or opened box but never used, and in most cases those off-contract devices are very cheap (under $100 for a new device). I've personally bought a never officially-released VZW HP Pre 3 new in never-opened box for under $200 on eBay, and have seen other webOS devices NIB being sold on eBay for under $100.

With the large number of unsold Z10 and Q10 devices that are apparently out there for most carriers, as well as a decent number of "new" BBOS devices, Blackberry fans should be able to purchase replacement smartphones without much financial outlay for a number of years to come.
    09-02-13 09:49 AM
    It's likely that I would switch to that Lenovo K900 if at all possible. I'm not sure if Sprint would carry something like that though. If I was unable to get the Lenovo I would most likely go with the Nexus or the Google phone. There isn't much else out there that I like other than Blackberry. I do not like Apple and I do not like Samsung. I haven't played with too many Windows phones but that could be an option also. The iPhone and the Galaxy would be a last resort for me.
    09-03-13 05:47 PM
    I would hopefully run my blackberry until something new and better came out from whatever company happens to get BlackBerry's patients. I don't like the other options at all.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 07:22 PM
40 12