I want to install the BB Desktop Software, but I'm required to have Vista Enterprise on my laptop. The Blackberry Desktop Software I've found thus far isn't supported on Vista. It's very frustrating - as I have no choice but Vista Enterprise. And, without the Desktop Software, I'm limited in the things that I can install to my Blackberry. Any suggestions, or does anyone know whether there are plans for a Blackberry Desktop Software version being built for Vista Enterprise? (I specifically ask about the Enterprise version of Vista, because this is what I have!) Help, please... I'll be ever-so-greatful!
    10-25-08 01:00 PM
    Enterprise-class Windows

A key component of the Optimized Desktop, Windows Vista Enterprise is the premium business operating system for organizations with multiple PC environments such as mobile workers, office workers, and contract workers.

Data protection with Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption

Organizations face increasing concerns around intellectual property and sensitive data being compromised on a lost, stolen, or recycled computer. To address this issue, Windows Vista Enterprise includes Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption, a new technology that helps prevent sensitive data and intellectual property from falling into the wrong hands.

Windows BitLocker uses hardware-enabled full-volume data encryption technology that gives you greater peace of mind knowing that your corporate intellectual property is safer and will remain your strategic asset. Also, because the entire Windows volume is encrypted, Windows BitLocker reduces the cost associated with decommissioning old PCs.
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

That is unusual, it is Windows Vista 32-bit, which does run BlackBerry Desktop Manger correctly.

It is possible the encryption could be causing a problem, but I doubt it. BlackBerry Desktop Manager does not use any ring 0 calls, so nothing should be flagged as a violation.

What stage of installation did you run into problems with?
    10-25-08 03:08 PM
    Hi Reed! Inspired by your post that it actually DOES work, I tried a few new things. For one, I installed the Desktop Manager WITHOUT Media. Also, I downloaded it locally prior to installation - before..., I was running the installation directly. It installed correctly and seems to be working. Thanks so much for your help! I swear - the minute I post to the forums, you guys snap your fingers and everything works. :-) Trust me - I usually try everything before posting. Thanks again!

Also, I should add that when I tried to install the Desktop Software version that contains Media - it would act like it was successful (I'd get the progress indicator bar, and it downloaded for a LONG time due to file size, but I was never given the option to install). Essentially, it just died at the end of a very long wait process.
    Last edited by thepaintedpony; 10-25-08 at 05:21 PM.
    10-25-08 05:18 PM
    I always select the save option, then do the install. If you attempt to install from a remote server, the odds of a timeout or other error are increased with the size of the install package. DTM with Media Manager is about 200 Mb, plenty of chance for something to go wrong.

Saving to the computer first is much more reliable. You can delete the package after it has installed.
    10-25-08 07:33 PM
    Does that apply for a specific version of Desktop Manager? I have 4.6 installed on my 32-bit Vista desktop with Media Manager and I have run into issues with Roxio not detecting my device attached. I don't know if it is something related to my recent OS upgrade on my device from 4.3 to 4.5.

I still have to play around with it.

Any suggestions or ideas?
    10-26-08 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD