So can anyone advise me whether RIM have plans to resolve the poor battery life on their flagship phone?
    The screen and keypad are first class but I'm afraid its going back to Vodafone within the 7 day trial period unless I can be convinced this is just a design issue V soon to be resolved!
    02-10-12 01:44 PM
    well the battery does need a break in period.
    It took mine about 10 days to really get good battery life.

I also have a 3500mah battery coming for when i cant reach a charger after 24 hours.
    02-10-12 02:02 PM
    Yeah took me a few weeks, you have to break the Battery in no question.
    02-10-12 02:11 PM
    Thanks for the info. Trouble is the 7 day return policy expires during this time.
    Hard to believe RIM make such a fundimental error in providing a smaller battery with their newest model?!
    02-10-12 02:21 PM
    Thanks for the info. Trouble is the 7 day return policy expires during this time.
    Hard to believe RIM make such a fundimental error in providing a smaller battery with their newest model?!
    Just a couple of questions. How are you using your phone?
    What is your screen brightness set at?
    How long till your screen fades out?
    What connections do you have setup(are you running bluetooth even when not near an antenna, etc)
    How many apps are running on your phone? Or you completely out of them when you exit?

I keep track of that stuff and I can last almost two days with my 9860. I mainly use my phone for SMS, BBM, emails and some web browsing though.
    02-10-12 02:25 PM
    Sreen is at factory setting and fades after approx 10 seconds. Normal apps like FB, Linkedin, Twitter etc. Usage is quite high duringa normal day; using email, voice recorder, camera and google maps....................Think I might stay with my 9700 until RIM iron out the problems!
    02-10-12 03:23 PM
    9700 is a great phone. I still have mine as a just in case. Best phone I ever owned.
    02-10-12 03:30 PM
    From what I understand...once the battery is broken in the 9900 has good battery life as long as it has a good radio signal...it seems when it's searching for week signals, that does reduce it's battery life by quite a bit.

So here's my question for you. Do you have wifi @ home? & what is your signal streagth at home & at work?....If these are both strong, theoretically you should be fine
    02-10-12 05:02 PM
    I just bought a car charger eh so I'm good to go
    02-10-12 08:31 PM
    I've got a feeling my Battery Life Improved by Upgrading to OS7.1, altough it isn't anywhere near the 9700 (on OS5, Battery kinda s*cked on OS6). It gets me mostly troughout the day, and I also have a Cradle at home and at the Office.

For those really Critical Moments I'm also carying a Duracell Instant USB Charger which gives me just about 60% which should be around 12hours of battery life.
    __007__ likes this.
    02-23-12 01:42 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I have however already returned the 9900 and returned to my 9700 until such a time that RIM actually provide a model fit for purpose.
    With minimal use the 9900 battery barely lasted a day whlist my 9700 easily lasts two days.
    As I use a lot of the phone features for my day to day work (mic, camera, email ,sms, browser etc) frequently, I dont want to have to worry whether or not the phone will fail before sundown.
    I agree with everyone that keypad and display are the best yet on a BB............come on RIM get the rest right!!!!
    02-23-12 01:57 PM
    It's not a design flaw per se, it's just the results of RIM using a modern ghz CPU, bright relatively high res screen etc.

It might get slightly better with an update, but not much.

Battery life in general will improve over the years, but in general this is the path that all manufacturers, including RIM now, has chosen: A high powered device over battery life that lasted for days.
    __007__ likes this.
    02-23-12 02:21 PM
    I guess you are right. Seems a shame in this day and age we can't manage to get both don't you think?
    I can't believe I will be the only one returning the 9900 in the hope that RIM look into matching battery life with their older models. If it meant another mm on the thickness I'm sure nobody would have complained. After all they make it nice and thin then give you a chunky case to keep it in lol!
    02-23-12 02:34 PM
    So can anyone advise me whether RIM have plans to resolve the poor battery life on their flagship phone?
    The screen and keypad are first class but I'm afraid its going back to Vodafone within the 7 day trial period unless I can be convinced this is just a design issue V soon to be resolved!
    All smartphones have poor battery life. There are a few easy solutions:

1. By an extra battery and charge pod.
    2. Walk with a charger.
    3. Buy a charger for the car and office and keep it plugged in all the time.
    4. Stop using it so much.
    02-24-12 12:24 PM
    Sreen is at factory setting and fades after approx 10 seconds. Normal apps like FB, Linkedin, Twitter etc. Usage is quite high duringa normal day; using email, voice recorder, camera and google maps....................Think I might stay with my 9700 until RIM iron out the problems!
    Sorry you were disappointed with the 9900. My battery life is only fair compared to previous BB's, but it's livable.

I don't know if later versions of LinkedIn have been cleaned up, but the last time I installed it (on my 9800), you couldn't shut the app off. Once installed and running, it would stay running until a reboot. Something like that could contribute to bad battery life, although it wouldn't likely be the only cause. But both FB and twitter can also draw heavily if they are set to check for updates too frequently. I completely turned FB updates off and I don't tweet. And of course I sh!tcanned LinkedIn a long time ago. They've got a decent mobile web page now, so I don't need that app anyway.

Too little too late, I know.
    02-24-12 12:42 PM
    They sorted it by selling a separate battery, charging case, and Y usb cable. For around 60USD .
    The 7.1 is better too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-24-12 01:20 PM
    There are plenty of methods to try and maximise battery life, but ultimately its still a compromise these days with smartphones (except the RAZR MAXX). Hopefully its a trend that would change soon, and smartphone makers will try to optimise battery life and include bigger capacity battery.

i would be delighted if RIM could squeeze in more juice into the JM-1 battery, i'll be happy with 1500mah. that plus 7.1 on battery saving mode.
    02-24-12 01:55 PM
    I guess you are right. Seems a shame in this day and age we can't manage to get both don't you think?
    I can't believe I will be the only one returning the 9900 in the hope that RIM look into matching battery life with their older models. If it meant another mm on the thickness I'm sure nobody would have complained. After all they make it nice and thin then give you a chunky case to keep it in lol!
    Lol! It's kind of annoying that battery life hasn't kept up with CPU speed or screen density. But then again... I'd rather have a smartphone I need to charge every 12 hours,methanol a features hone with a three day battery. Especially with USB charging and microusb being a standard these days.

And battery life WILL get better! Dual and quadcore CPUs are already much more efficient than single core CPUs, so in a year or two, we will be back to the battery life we had a few years ago, lol!

U til then, there's always the Razr Maxx, with it's massive two-three day battery...
    02-24-12 02:22 PM
    U til then, there's always the Razr Maxx, with it's massive two-three day battery...
    The screen is garbage IMO.
    02-24-12 07:19 PM
    You might try the 9810 if you can. I get 2 days and a little more on mine. Actually my 9810 gets better battery life than my 9800 did.

BTW I also keep my 9700 as my JIC phone. Without a doubt my all time favorite BB phone for it's time.
    02-24-12 07:53 PM
    I believe that BB9900 battery issue may be OS/hardware related since the smaller battery (by 16pc to iphone or most other phones) does alot worse than the battery difference. especially when in heavy use mine can such up to 15pc/h (device analyzer says radio takes 90pc)
    I'm hopeful that future OS will fix it.
    02-24-12 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD