There is a lot of information and videos of the full touchscreen BB10 device coming, but where is the videos of the qwerty device ? I saw some still pictures but really no videos of this device in action. Am I missing them ?
    01-20-13 08:53 AM
    That device is not due in the stores as soon as the all-touch model so less people have them and thus there are far less leaks.
    01-20-13 08:59 AM
    From the information and comments I read the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with physical keyboard (N10) is no better than the BlackBerry Bold 9900 in terms of the touch-screen interface from a usability perspective. The aesthetics of the BlackBerry N10 are so bad, in my opinion, that the design should be scraped and replaced with the BlackBerry Blade or a slider form-factor device. I would prefer a physical keyboard but the current "potential final design" BlackBerry 10 smartphones scream poor user experience for anything other than the all-touch BlackBerry Z10. RIM is stuck in a rut with the smartphone-with-physical-keyboard designs; they need to bring an innovative design to market.
    01-20-13 09:03 AM
    Quite frankly, unless Blackberry can kill it with a new qwerty design for BB10, I'll be going with iOS or android. The full touch screen device doesn't look like it offers much new innovation, in fact, to me it doesn't look as good as Samsung or Apple. I am a huge BB fan, just want something more.
    01-20-13 09:15 AM
    I think people should considering waiting till January 30 to really see what they'll be getting, and even wait until they try one, rather than pre-judging based on the stuff we've seen so far online. Don't assume you've seen nearly everything yet as far as new innovation in BB10.
    01-20-13 09:23 AM
    Quite frankly, unless Blackberry can kill it with a new qwerty design for BB10, I'll be going with iOS or android. The full touch screen device doesn't look like it offers much new innovation, in fact, to me it doesn't look as good as Samsung or Apple. I am a huge BB fan, just want something more.
    What have you seen of the Z10 to be able to say it doesn't offer much new innovation?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-20-13 09:35 AM
    So if you don't like the new X10, you'll go for a full touch device..... ok. Makes sense but I ask, what does iOS or Android offer that the Z10 doesn't?
    01-20-13 09:56 AM
    I think you might be surprised and I would recommend trying out the Z10 before you make your decision. I was firmly against touchscreen keyboards until I tried out the Z10. It is very accurate and the flickup feature worked much better than I expected.
    01-20-13 11:22 AM
    The problem here is simple: We know basicly nothing about the QWERTY device by now. Here are the hard, available facts:
    - It will have a physical QWERTY keyboard
    - It will feature a 720x720px resolution, meaning an uncommon 1:1 aspect ratio
    - It will run Blackberry10 OS
    - It will be launched on January 30th

That is about it, simple as is. There are more rumors going on saying it might come with an AMOLED screen. There are a couple of pictures good old Mr. Blurrycam shared with us, the latest picture set was commented by the photographer as "not the official X10, but an older model used for software testing". Which means it might either be the Dev Alpha C, a complete different prototype or maybe an early pre-production model.

kill_9 stated a few things based on which "facts"? Blurry shots of an unknown BB10 device which *might* be the X10 but could also be a completely different thing? Since no information about the actual usability is available, how can one state wether the UX is decent or not? Sure a full-touch interface is nice(r) on a big screen, however there always have been smaller screened devices running full-touch controled operating systems. There are even some BB-like Android models featuring 3" screens which can be used without problems in terms of touch experience. Even the app launcher appears to be a very early, completely unfinished version. In terms of software, there are no demos available.

I only remember one early Engagdet(?) article saying, the tried-out QWERTY variant felt "awkward" because of the very unusual aspect ratio. However that article should be now be quite some weeks old and they most likely have seen yet another early, unfinished software.

I can also add some more speculation around here:
    It is rumoured the X10 will offer similar dimensions as the Bold 9900, so let's say they keep the device width of 66mm. The screen can't get any wider, however the 9900 has a screen ratio of 4:3 while the X10 will have 1:1. Considering the screen width will be kept the same, we'd have a 3.15" screen, sporting around 56,6mm by 56,6mm.
    Now 3.15" is again a bit odd, let's say keep slightly more room for side bezels in terms of gestures and reduce screen size to 3.1" - we'll now have 55,7mm by 55,7mm for the display dimensions. How large is that? Take your Bold 9900, look at the top of the "T" and "Y" keys. Right above will be the bottom side of the screen. Now straighten the keyboard an you'll get an idea. IMO this actual is quite some additional screen real estate added there.
    In addition, here is a quick grpahical size comparison: http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...9900-screen-1-
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 01-20-13 at 11:43 AM.
    austriker likes this.
    01-20-13 11:24 AM
    So if you don't like the new X10, you'll go for a full touch device..... ok. Makes sense but I ask, what does iOS or Android offer that the Z10 doesn't?
    iOS and Android offers proven reliability with the OS and apps. If RIM could come up with a killer qwerty device with a new and unique OS (and not a rip off of IOS or Android), I would be extremely excited.
    01-20-13 11:38 AM
    iOS and Android offers proven reliability with the OS and apps. If RIM could come up with a killer qwerty device with a new and unique OS (and not a rip off of IOS or Android), I would be extremely excited.
    As of now it looks RIM will be the only company which keeps designing high-end QWERTY devices, that is something you should keep in mind. Even the rather new announced Android QWERTY models have rather low specs, considering they are Android powered. HTC already announced there won't be any future models with physical keyboards by their company. Nokia most likely won't release a QWERTY Windows Phone 8 device (though they could easily do a nice slider, basicly a Dell Venue Pro successor) and keeps releasing Asha feature phones with real keyboards.
    My only bet would be Motorola who might land a hit with a true new Droid slider model. However theirs and Samsungs BB-like models are those with the rather low specs.....

So RIM more or less owns this market, with BB10 this should be even more clear than it is today.
    01-20-13 11:53 AM
    BB10 QWERTY will be Shown along side the Full Touch Z10 on January 30th. Come back then to see the FINAL design, hardware and software of the X10 before you make these judgements.
    01-20-13 12:00 PM
    BB10 QWERTY will be Shown along side the Full Touch Z10 on January 30th. Come back then to see the FINAL design, hardware and software of the X10 before you make these judgements.
    Fair enough. I can wait 10 days !!! What with I do without a scroll pad though ? Lol
    01-20-13 12:09 PM
    Fair enough. I can wait 10 days !!! What with I do without a scroll pad though ? Lol
    The trackpad will be gone for good, that would be another "hard fact" we know for sure. Since BB10 is designed completely for touch-input (unlike OS6 or OS7, which basicly have just touch support), there will most likely be many things which makes live easier in terms of text selecting and editing. Navigating around the UI will be easy - you simply don't need the TP anymore, since everything runs gesture based. The new OS is simply completely different in terms of UI than all previous BBOS versions.
    01-20-13 12:14 PM
    Well they are doing just that with the BB10 OS.
    01-20-13 12:16 PM
    Well they are doing just that with the BB10 OS.
    We'll see. I'm s skeptic, we'll see.
    01-20-13 12:41 PM