Hello, I've put put my backlight on 60% strength and have taken my mobile network off global. Anything else I can do to save battery? Also, I've have difficulty setting up my WiFi connection for my Bold. I have a macbook. I don't see where I enter the code my bold gives me. Yes, I have a WiFi network already set up in our house. Does using WiFi drain the battery more than the mobile network?

Thanks!
    08-14-10 09:13 PM
    Hello, I've put put my backlight on 60% strength and have taken my mobile network off global. Anything else I can do to save battery? Also, I've have difficulty setting up my WiFi connection for my Bold. I have a macbook. I don't see where I enter the code my bold gives me. Yes, I have a WiFi network already set up in our house. Does using WiFi drain the battery more than the mobile network?

Thanks!
    I'm not sure about the code number you are referring to, I didn't get that when I was setting mine up. What I did was to search for networks, when it found my network I simply configured it using the key that is setup in my router. Once I did that my Bold connected to my home network and has done so ever since.

Yes, the Wi-Fi does consume some battery. There are those who would tell you to tury it off if not using it, but then you need to remember to turn it on when you are in range of a network that you have setup on your phone, such as Starbucks or other public free access networks.

There are those too who would tell you to turn the GPS off unless you need to use it. My personal feeling is that the battery should last long enough to get through a full day with reasonable use of the devices features; thus, I don't turn anything off.

Another thing that will drain your battery quickly is if you are in areas that don't have a strong signal. When you have only one or two bars, the radion is working overtime to try and fine you a better signal. This extra effort uses battery power and contributes to your battery drain.

I would suggest that you watch what you have running in the background, be sure that when you are finished with a program you actually close it by pressing the BB key and selcting "Close" or "Exit". These programs running in the background can also drain your battery pretty quickly.
    08-14-10 10:05 PM
    Do you use BBM (blackberry messenger)? Deleting this application saves quite a bit of battery, as it is always running in the background.

To do this, you will need to download the app from App World, replace the existing file, and then delete from Options > Applications
    08-14-10 10:10 PM
    why use wifi if you have to pay for unlimited data fees...just use the data you pay for. your beating a dead horse if you have service of course.
    08-14-10 10:35 PM
    why use wifi if you have to pay for unlimited data fees...just use the data you pay for. your beating a dead horse if you have service of course.
    WiFi is faster than 3G. WiFi drains your battery less than cell radio. WiFi allows you to make a phone call and use data services at the same time.

If you're not using it, by all means, shut the WiFi radio off to save battery. Same with the Bluetooth radio. If you can use it, though, feel free.
    08-14-10 10:57 PM
    I think wifi uses less battery than the radio if you're surfing online. It's a little faster (not much as far as I can tell).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-10 10:57 PM
    Got the wireless network set up. Thanks so much.

As far as closing applications, Facebook ALWAYS seems open even when I try to close it which is very confusing to me.

I really want to close GPS as I never use it but is that the Maps App or something?
    08-15-10 08:56 AM
    I think wifi uses less battery than the radio if you're surfing online. It's a little faster (not much as far as I can tell).

You are absolutely correct! Wi-fi uses less battery and is MUCH faster than the cellular network! If you have access to it...USE IT!!!!
    D-a-m-n the cellular contract you have! You want speed and battery life.
    08-15-10 09:26 AM

As far as closing applications, Facebook ALWAYS seems open even when I try to close it which is very confusing to me.
    To shut down the FB App click on the BB Menu > Options > then choose Log Out. Otherwise the App keeps running.

Sometimes it gets really quirky and won't even let you log out unless you pull the battery. I stopped using the FB App while on my Curve b/c it got so buggy and lost some functionality. Now on the Bold its barely useable as it practically brings the phone to a screeching halt. I find it easier & faster to just log-in to FB mobile and forget the App even exists.

08-15-10 09:33 AM
    Do you use BBM (blackberry messenger)? Deleting this application saves quite a bit of battery, as it is always running in the background.

To do this, you will need to download the app from App World, replace the existing file, and then delete from Options > Applications
    I have never heard that before, it does not make any sense.

BlackBerry uses a multitasking operating system. Applications are resident in memory at all times and are serviced on demand.

When an application like Phone, Call Log or Messenger are not active, they do not demand services, there is no battery consumption generated.

When a Messenge arrives, the application will be serviced for the brief period it takes to store the message.

I use Wifi all the time becasue I live in a sub 1 bar service area. There is a huge difference between my battery life when using Wifi over my carriers very weak signal.
    08-15-10 09:55 AM
    To shut down the FB App click on the BB Menu > Options > then choose Log Out. Otherwise the App keeps running.

Sometimes it gets really quirky and won't even let you log out unless you pull the battery. I stopped using the FB App while on my Curve b/c it got so buggy and lost some functionality. Now on the Bold its barely useable as it practically brings the phone to a screeching halt. I find it easier & faster to just log-in to FB mobile and forget the App even exists.

Thanks, logging out worked for me! Didn't even think of that! Will try facebook mobile too.

Is the mail app and SMS always open?
    08-15-10 10:28 AM
    I get fantastic battery life using Wi-Fi, much better than 3G...
    08-15-10 11:12 AM
    Downloads are much faster for me when I turn the wifi off. 10KBs wifi on, 80KBs wifi off. I have tried it in many locations, hotspot browser, internet browser, whatever, with my phone the wifi is considerably slower. I wonder if I should take it back for a new one.
    08-16-10 10:06 AM
    WiFi will not be faster than cellular in all situations and could cause a faster battery drain in some situations, you have to test for yourself in your location and decide which works better for you. Others have reported problems with the FB application and some themes don't play as nice with other apps, so try the log out suggestion, try with stock theme if not already and see what works.
    As for GPS, go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS>GPS Services> and select "E911 Only" and set Location Aiding to "Disabled" if you like and see if that helps.
    08-16-10 12:35 PM
    Interestingly I do not have an option to delete BBM. I don't use it, friends don't have Blackberries. What am I missing?
    Last edited by tandaina; 08-16-10 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Silly me, wifi question already answered.
    08-16-10 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD