Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ata. Ask for pin!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default battery swollen

So I've read here people charge everynight, and I do since at the end of the day my battery is about 2/5. I wook up today to find the battery swollen, which means the back cover won't fit. I've read online and its said that this is caused by overchareging, but people are still charging daily??

I've ordered a new battery, but should I avoid charging overnight now?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,510 Global Posts

With my 8900, it stops charging once its done. I charge every night and have not had that happen.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of perfection!

Quote Originally Posted by yehrulz View Post
    So I've read here people charge everynight, and I do since at the end of the day my battery is about 2/5. I wook up today to find the battery swollen, which means the back cover won't fit. I've read online and its said that this is caused by overchareging, but people are still charging daily??

I've ordered a new battery, but should I avoid charging overnight now?

No the battery just has gone bad. If you continue the use of the swollen battery chances are it will die quickly anyway. Hopefully your new battery will show up soon. I charge mine every night and have had no problems. My sons old Motorola did the same thing with his battery, swelled up. He had a pre-pay phone and it was cheaper to get a new phone. I'm sure that your phone is a different story. How much was the battery if i may ask?
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,088 Global Posts
    PIN
    32E87D6D

I had a battery inside a usb modem which was swollen. The repair people said just that the battery was bad. The unit was replaced under warranty/insurance, luckily for me with a different battery-less modem.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Your battery is bad. Use it no longer. Buy a replacement as soon as you can.

The cells insode the battery have failed and the swelling is caused by the membranes inside allowing the various chamicals to mix with each other. Not good.

Have a look at this link Lithium-Ion Battery Swells Up Like Jaba the Hutt (Made By Monkeys)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ata. Ask for pin!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

The battery was 7 dollars on amazon.

When its "bad", does it mean it can explode or anything? If its just unable to hold a charge, ill still keep it to use as an emergency backup.

Should I do anything different to the new battery?

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,900 Global Posts
    PIN
    G pong is not a sport

Just to be completely safe, I would buy a new charger also. There is supposed to be overcharge protection built in and this may have failed. I don't know of the protection is built into the battery, charger, berry, or all 3.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    PIN
    nacle of perfection!

When its "bad", does it mean it can explode or anything? If its just unable to hold a charge, ill still keep it to use as an emergency backup.

The battery is not safe. Its toast. Recycle it. Damaging your device is not worth the risk even as a back up.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Your $7 battery was manufactured like the canary - cheep. Nuttin' wrong with that, I have one too.

It is doubtful but, it could do the big firework. There is not a lot of energy stored in a BlackBerry battery but there is quite enough to make you drop your pants in a hurry if it lets go at the wrong time.

The battery is the root cause of this, not the phone, not the charger - if you are using the original BlackBerry wall charger.

The phone has built in electronics to charge the battery optimally. You can test thos by switchig the phon eoff via the red button and then charging it. The LED will flash green-ish during charges and solid when fully charged. If the phone gets waarm duriong charging, ot should cool down once the LED got solid although this may take a few minutes to happen.

GET A NEW BATTERY, like really.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ata. Ask for pin!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Haha I meant the NEW battery was 7 dollars. It said it was oem.

Thanks for the advice, although I didn't really get the whole led thing you wrote there pete

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,543 Global Posts
    PIN
    T of Beer Please

Angry

Haha I meant the NEW battery was 7 dollars. It said it was oem.

Thanks for the advice, although I didn't really get the whole led thing you wrote there pete

Okay. Switch the phone Off via the Red (drop call button on the rh side of the keyboard just below the screen), button - you press and hold it until the phone switches off.

Charge the phone with it switched off.

Whilst the phone is charging, the LED at the top right of the phone wil flash green. I think that there may also be yellow in there too. It will flash on/off approximately once every two seconds.

Once the phone has achieved a full battery charge, the LED will cease flashing On/Off and remain permanently on displaying a bright green/yellow color.

This is an internal phone funstion and has little to do with the wall charger or USB connection although these will charge faster or slower depending on if you are using the orogonal BlackBerry charger which is the best way to charge your phone.

If you need more info, please just say.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts
    PIN
    Ata. Ask for pin!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Ah I see. I usually leave my phone on to charge though. So this led thing is kust to test if the internal sensor is working?

And if is working, leaving the battery plugged in all night won't do it any harm?

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,321 Global Posts

There is no way to damage the battery by leaving it plugged in all night. Or all week for that matter.

CrackBerry Newbie

Smile A little info about rechargeable LI-ON batteries

Li-Ion rechargeable batteries have a special circuit in them that allows the battery and the charging circuitry in the said device to talk to each other. The circuit in the battery communicates its current state to the charging circuits both when charging and being used. This circuit in turn determines how much charging current to send to the battery. To prevent overcharging the charging process goes at full speed until the battery reaches 80% of it's charge. At this point, the unit switches to a "trickle" charging mode. This is where most of the charging time is used.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

all my phones have been great, just got a used blackberry and saw the battery was just starting to swell, the good thing is they are cheap on amazon, im restorig the phone and its all brand new stuff, battery life isnt fantasitc but its getting me threw a normal day
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Your battery is having a baby.
    CrackBerry Genius

Wow 3 year old thread back from the dead.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,845 Global Posts

I personally don't trust charging overnight, it really kills your battery capacity/life long term. Eventually you'll find your battery doesn't last that long at all, sooner rather than later.

The best strategy I've found is to start charging your device as soon as you get home and once it's at 100%, take it off the charger (at least before you go to sleep). When you wake up in the morning, put it back on the charger to get back those few percentages and then go on your way.

The problem is just leaving devices charging even when they're 100%, DON'T DO IT! I'm big on battery tech now and I've looked around, no one has a system in place yet that stops the battery from receiving a charge even if the battery is full, NO ONE. If they tell you they do, they are a liar.
    Don't be afraid to LIKE or say THANKS

BlackBerry Experience: BB Curve 8330 >> BB Bold 9000 >> BB Curve 3G 9300 >> BB Bold 9900 >> BB Q10 >> BB Classic (PRE-ORDER Cancelled "accidentally" by Digital River... idiots.)