I noticed that my free memory was slowly going down from 20 million bytes to around 16 mil., even after cleaning out my browser cache, so I figured I'd try a battery pull to see what happens. Well, after the battery pull, my memory went right back up to 20 mil bytes.

Why is that? Where does the battery pull get so much extra memory, and is there a way for me to clean out my memory without having to do the pull? I haven't seen anywhere else in the system besides the browser cache, where there is memory to be gained.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 06:13 AM
    The battery pull clears up some memory, and I dont where the clear actually takes place, but If I took a guess I would say that it would be equivalent to what temporary internet files are to our pc's. After you clear your browser cache your device still has temp files. Try this alt+lglg and clear the event logs as well.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    08-17-08 06:21 AM
    The battery pull clears up some memory, and I dont where the clear actually takes place, but If I took a guess I would say that it would be equivalent to what temporary internet files are to our pc's. After you clear your browser cache your device still has temp files. Try this alt+lglg and clear the event logs as well.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    Hey thanks. Just tried the event log thing, and it pulls up Event log (warning). Why does it say warning? I was afraid of doing anything after seeing that warning.
    08-17-08 06:29 AM
    because other apps besides your browser require caching of data to operate. they'll occupy memory until they are completely reset, although in most cases, they'll release the memory once the app is closed. google maps is a very large example of how it's map cache can hog up memory and not release it until you actually clear the cache within google maps.
    08-17-08 06:32 AM
    I went into options in the event log and took the check out
    of every single box. Now I never have to worry about clearing
    it unless I install something new. And then I take the check out
    of the box for that too.

Too me the event log in non-intuitive and provides no useful
    info to me. Some techie may find it useful, I don't, so why let it consume memory?
    08-17-08 06:33 AM
    Hey thanks. Just tried the event log thing, and it pulls up Event log (warning). Why does it say warning? I was afraid of doing anything after seeing that warning.
    It says warning because you are going to delete your event log which is normally supposed to be kept but trust me nothing happens if you delete it. You still have everything on the device. You're just deleting the log for what you have done on your berry TEMP FILES remember?
    08-17-08 06:34 AM
    because of the minimum log level setting being set to "warning".
    08-17-08 06:34 AM
    I went into options in the event log and took the check out
    of every single box. Now I never have to worry about clearing
    it unless I install something new. And then I take the check out
    of the box for that too.

Too me the event log in non-intuitive and provides no useful
    info to me. Some techie may find it useful, I don't, so why let it consume memory?
    Hey, thanks Amazing! I just did the same thing and unchecked all the boxes. Will this in some way be detrimental to me if I ever have a problem with my Berry, and a techie needs to troubleshoot though?

08-17-08 06:46 AM
    Hey, thanks Amazing! I just did the same thing and unchecked all the boxes. Will this in some way be detrimental to me if I ever have a problem with my Berry, and a techie needs to troubleshoot though?
    No one at AT&T, RIM or here has EVER asked me to look at my event log and tell them what it says.
    It, too me is a waste of already limited memory, so I just don't allow it
    to log anything.
    08-17-08 06:50 AM
    No one at AT&T, RIM or here has EVER asked me to look at my event log and tell them what it says.
    It, too me is a waste of already limited memory, so I just don't allow it
    to log anything.
    Excellent. I totally agree. It stays unlogged from now on. Thx!
    08-17-08 06:52 AM
    Maybe I should have said the same thing. There is no purpose in logging it. You will never need it.
    08-17-08 06:55 AM
    Maybe I should have said the same thing. There is no purpose in logging it. You will never need it.
    Appreciate the advice. I just gained a nice little extra bit of memory for free.

08-17-08 06:59 AM
    Appreciate the advice. I just gained a nice little extra bit of memory for free.

Dont get to comfortable if you dont have a memory card go get one. A one gig is cool enough for now then you can upgrade later.
    08-17-08 07:08 AM
    3 week newbe,how do i get to the event log. 8330
    Last edited by winger09; 08-17-08 at 07:29 AM.
    08-17-08 07:26 AM
    3 week newbe,how do i get to the event log. 8330
    Well, I assume just the same as how I did. Just press ALT key (keep it depressed), and then press the letters lglg. It then brings up the event log.
    08-17-08 08:15 AM
    thanks,that worked
    08-17-08 08:31 AM
    Then you press Menu and select Options.
    08-17-08 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD