After reading numerous threads on battery pulls can someone please tell me the difference between a pull with the blackberry on and with the blackberry off. In my mind it makes more sense to turn off the blackberry, you avoid the possibility of anything being corrupted. Why is it always recommended to pull with the blackberry on?

I have seen this question many times but no one has ever answered it as far as I can tell. If the answer is somewhere in the forums someone please link me.
    07-29-08 01:21 PM
    If the phone is off, pulling the battery doesn't do anything.
    07-29-08 01:28 PM
    To me if you pull the battery with the phone off, thats not really doing anything to the phone. Since your phone is already off. But when you pull the battery when its on, you are resetting the phone.
    07-29-08 01:30 PM
    I have pulled with memory as low as 6 and got it all the way up to 10 with the blackberry off. Didn't do anything else besides the battery pull.
    07-29-08 01:30 PM
    To me if you pull the battery with the phone off, thats not really doing anything to the phone. Since your phone is already off. But when you pull the battery when its on, you are resetting the phone.
    When you turn off your blackberry I though the problem is that you are not actually turning it off otherwise it would do the same as the battery pull. Thats why your alarms will still ring. Unless I am mistaken?
    07-29-08 01:33 PM
    You should NEVER pull your battery (despite what others will tell you). Do a search for various posts I have done on the subject for a complete understanding of what it does and doesn't do, and how "free memory" is not at all what you think.
    07-29-08 01:36 PM
    I not sure about NEVER doing a battery pull. I fixed a lot of my problems with my phone.
    07-29-08 01:40 PM
    Use the Soft Reset program.

Just like a Windows computer, it's good to reboot every now & then.
    07-29-08 01:40 PM
    before pulling it out. try alt. rshift del. easier and softer than pulling.
    07-29-08 01:42 PM
    RIM, as well as most service providers, recommend doing a battery pull as the first step in the troubleshooting process. There are severe memory issues with the current blackberry OS that will hopefully be corrected when 4.5 is released.

Doing a battery pull with the device still on will not corrupt anything, or change settings, as these are actually stored in the processor memory, and not the battery itself.

Unfortunately, when the memory becomes TOO low (usually around 4-6MB of free space), the device will start deleting call logs, SMS messages, and e-mails to free up space. Keep in mind that if you download a lot of 3rd party applications to your device, that several of them can be memory hogs and eat up a lot of your memory.

It goes without saying, IMO, that non-essential files should automatically be saved to your memory card and not the device.

I just did a battery pull as I was typing this, and went from 6MB of free space to over 10MB. I know, it seems odd, but it somehow works. Again, IMO, I would do a battery pull maybe once ever week to two weeks, depending on how much you use your BB.

There are posts on several BB forums (including this one, I am sure) about steps you can take to free up memory on your device (i.e. deleting non-essential languages and files that come pre-installed on your device).

Hope that helps!
    07-29-08 01:42 PM
    The reason to pull your battery with your berry on is to close out everything running and reset your device. When you shut your device off is goes into suspended animation. So when you pull your battery with it off, you don't shut off the applications. When it powers up, those apps are still on. Look at the memory you've free'd up. 10 mb is still too low. Most experienced users here recommend a minimum of 12 mb - I asked and a million people answered .

If you're only at 10, you'll probably want to use Stoner's memory guide - link below. You probably want to do a reset most of the time, and a battery pull once a week.

Edit: Sorry about reset info -- Pearl is different, use reset app.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 07-29-08 at 01:53 PM.
    07-29-08 01:44 PM
    alt/right shift/delete doesn't work on a pearl.

The Soft Reset program is free and basically does the same thing without having to pull the battery. Handy if you keep your phone in a case.
    07-29-08 01:48 PM
    You should NEVER pull your battery (despite what others will tell you). Do a search for various posts I have done on the subject for a complete understanding of what it does and doesn't do, and how "free memory" is not at all what you think.
    I've read Patrick's essay. What he describes has never happened to me. But two weeks ago I was helping a new member with a problem. I advised her to pull her battery. She asked would she lose anything and I assured her she would not. She pulled her battery and nuked her device. So, while what he describes is not common, it can happen. Pulling the battery is something you sometimes have to do, but it is not completely risk free and is not as safe as rebooting a PC. I have become more cautious about automatically recommending it for every problem.
    07-29-08 01:55 PM
    The reason to pull your battery with your berry on is to close out everything running and reset your device. When you shut your device off is goes into suspended animation. So when you pull your battery with it off, you don't shut off the applications. When it powers up, those apps are still on. Look at the memory you've free'd up. 10 mb is still too low. Most experienced users here recommend a minimum of 12 mb - I asked and a million people answered .

If you're only at 10, you'll probably want to use Stoner's memory guide - link below. You probably want to do a reset most of the time, and a battery pull once a week.

Edit: Sorry about reset info -- Pearl is different, use reset app.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

i understand all the memory optimization things (yes i know i have low memory i am working on it ), i was just wondering about the difference between on and off. I usually use the left shift, back button combo to close open programs so what will be the difference between a battery pull on and off if I am still getting the freed space / fixing apps that freeze etc..
    07-29-08 02:03 PM

i second that. recently learned this and that's what i always use. try it!
    07-29-08 02:49 PM
    I'm not sure Kosai. I don't get any improvement in free memory when I shut my device off - I usually find I lose room when I turn off for the night . I try to limit the number of battery pulls I do - I worry about static nuking my berry. I have found a reset does help a lot, but I am unsure how you do that with a pearl , sorry. Just trying to help.

07-29-08 03:18 PM
    I'm not sure Kosai. I don't get any improvement in free memory when I shut my device off - I usually find I lose room when I turn off for the night . I try to limit the number of battery pulls I do - I worry about static nuking my berry. I have found a reset does help a lot, but I am unsure how you do that with a pearl , sorry. Just trying to help.

I just wanted a solid reason from someone why they always recommend battery pulls with it on, but i guess i wont get one *sigh* oh well. (softreset works for pearl but i prefer battery pull).
    07-29-08 03:23 PM

Can you post a link so everybody can read this?
    07-29-08 03:24 PM
    To add to this, make sure you close all your apps.
    07-29-08 03:31 PM
    First time ive heard not to do a battery pull. You need to post links please........
    07-29-08 03:44 PM
    I thought I did mention a solid reason why one pulls the battery with it on as opposed to it being off. The thread then got off on the usual debate about reset vs pull.

Patrick, I looked for your thread but couldn't find it. I would like to read it.

07-29-08 03:45 PM
    I thought I did mention a solid reason why one pulls the battery with it on as opposed to it being off. The thread then got off on the usual debate about reset vs pull.

Patrick, I looked for your thread but couldn't find it. I would like to read it.

I saw your answer but as far as I can tell I am getting the same results with a battery pull off as i do with a battery pull on. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this or am I jsut crazy lol
    07-29-08 03:49 PM
    Not crazy , just addicted

07-29-08 03:54 PM
    thanks for the helpful replies though!
    07-29-08 04:02 PM
    Here is the essay by Patrick that I alluded to in my earlier post. I'm making it a new post, rather than an edit, so those of you who requested the link will see it. Don't be thrown off by the title. The discussion started on memory and moved to power issues.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/coo...ing-app-47525/

After reading his comments, and seeing what happened to the user I was helping, I've become a little more hesitant to recommend battery pulls.
    Last edited by JeffH; 07-29-08 at 06:37 PM. Reason: clarifying title
    07-29-08 06:36 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD