ok...

finally bought a bluetooth headset...

the blueant z9 (for lots of reasons...but mostly because it was one of the two highest rated headsets around...the other being the jawbone...)

so far i am pretty happy with it. no complaints about tunnel noise...echo...feedback etc...

so I have read lots of posts about conserving battery life and realize that the 8130 is NOT the best at power conservation...(hence the reason I bought the spare battery which I almost never swap...)

the QUESTION that I have is:

when the pearl is set to "bluetooth connection on" and the blueant is ON...the berry flashes a blue LED (which means connected to the bluetooth)...when I press and hold the multi-function button on the bluetooth it drops the conection to the berry(which states bluetooth connection terminated...) and the LED stops blinking...

however...the bluetooth connection is still "on" according to the manage connections screen...

sorry to take the long way to get to the point but here it is: Is the pearl battery working as hard when the connection is off between the headset and the berry? what I mean is...is it worth it when I am not using the headset to go into manage connections and turn off the bluetooth..?

I haven't taken the time to see if the battery is dying out much quicker when it is on (again the headset connection is off...so therefore it should not be searching/synching with it constantly..)

anyone with more bluetooth experience chime on in...

should I click the bt connection off or is it ok to just power off the headset (thus stopping the bt connection...)?

-db

I finally came back to bluetooth after more than one bad experience with lesser ones.
    02-11-08 06:34 PM
    sorry to take the long way to get to the point but here it is: Is the pearl battery working as hard when the connection is off between the headset and the berry? what I mean is...is it worth it when I am not using the headset to go into manage connections and turn off the bluetooth..?

I haven't taken the time to see if the battery is dying out much quicker when it is on (again the headset connection is off...so therefore it should not be searching/synching with it constantly..)-db
    I never disable bluetooth on the device and I'm very pleased with battery life. The amount of battery power used when BT is in standby state (not actually connected with the headset) is IMO negligible and would not be noticed in faster battery drain - someone correct me if I'm wrong. Now of course there is a definite higher battery draw when BT is connected to headset. It may be worth conducting some tests along these lines for confirmation but personally I doubt you'll notice enough of a difference to warrant constantly enabling/disabling BT on the device.

As I say, someone correct me if I'm way off base here.
    02-11-08 06:54 PM
    thanks GG...

-db

i thought as much.... but sometimes the conversations I have with myself are not as illuminating as I would like...
    02-11-08 06:59 PM
    Ha... I hear ya db.

Let us know your findings if you actually ever do take the time to test it out.
    02-11-08 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD