Instead of selling stickers or personal pin, and restricting it to the business users, why Blackberry doesn't make Balance available for every customer ?
    I'd pay for it annually, and I am sure a lot of people would too.
    Blackberry has a great opportunity to introduce its privacy features and safety know-how to a broader audience than business users.
    They would be the first too as no smartphone has that kind of safe place integrated at all levels in its OS.
    Blackberry Balance would be a great solution to keep your privacy when you lend your phone to a relative or a friend/co-worker etc.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 04:17 PM
    Instead of selling stickers or personal pin, and restricting it to the business users, why Blackberry doesn't make Balance available for every customer ?
    I'd pay for it annually, and I am sure a lot of people would too.
    Blackberry has a great opportunity to introduce its privacy features and safety know-how to a broader audience than business users.
    They would be the first too as no smartphone has that kind of safe place integrated at all levels in its OS.
    Blackberry Balance would be a great solution to keep your privacy when you lend your phone to a relative or a friend/co-worker etc.

Posted via CB10
    It is available to every customer. They have a cloud version which could be used for one user.

BlackBerry
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    06-01-15 04:43 PM
    Thanks I didn't know!
    But it still looks like a "professional" solution where the Balance would be one tiny part of the equation.
    What I intended was more of a 'consumer' solution, something that would interest even an Apple user and work as a partition on your phone: public vs. private partition.
    Something that you could implement subscribing to a program too but without all the 'business orientation'.
    Let say a 'consumers' version of Balance which is a professional tool.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 04:57 PM
    Thanks I didn't know!
    But it still looks like a "professional" solution where the Balance would be one tiny part of the equation.
    What I intended was more of a 'consumer' solution, something that would interest even an Apple user and work as a partition on your phone: public vs. private partition.
    Something that you could implement subscribing to a program too but without all the 'business orientation'.
    Let say a 'consumers' version of Balance which is a professional tool.

Posted via CB10
    It's yours for $25/year (just over $2/mo). BES12 Cloud Silver package. Just don't use the other stuff if you don't want to. Although with only one user, nothing else would be of much value anyway.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    rthonpm and BroncoVAL like this.
    06-01-15 05:11 PM
    It's yours for $25/year (just over $2/mo). BES12 Cloud Silver package. Just don't use the other stuff if you don't want to. Although with only one user, nothing else would be of much value anyway.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    I will look into it so!
    25$ a year is very reasonable !
    They should promote it though, I don't think I am the only one to ignore that possibility... or am I ?

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 05:15 PM
    I will look into it so!
    25$ a year is very reasonable !
    They should promote it though, I don't think I am the only one to ignore that possibility... or am I ?

Posted via CB10
    The nature of balance locks you down and prevents you from moving things between the work and personal sides. It may prove a pain in the **** when you're the only guy and have no real need for that level of security.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-01-15 05:33 PM
    The nature of balance locks you down and prevents you from moving things between the work and personal sides. It may prove a pain in the **** when you're the only guy and have no real need for that level of security.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Really?
    Humm so I keep thinking Blackberry should propose a 'consumer' version more versatile (with the ability to move items between personal and private).
    The 25$ /year is fine.
    Thanks for the feedback

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 05:52 PM
    Really?
    Humm so I keep thinking Blackberry should propose a 'consumer' version more versatile (with the ability to move items between personal and private).
    I'm not sure you really understand why Balance exists in the first place...

The point of Balance is so that when you are issued a corporate phone that has the "work side" locked down, so that you can't get data in and out of that side without going through approved work channels, that you still have a "personal side" that you can install apps on and do what you want with the data.

If you aren't being issued a corporate, locked-down phone, then there's no reason for Balance at all, because you can already do whatever you want to all parts of the phone.
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    06-01-15 06:08 PM

The point of Balance is so that when you are issued a corporate phone that has the "work side" locked down, so that you can't get data in and out of that side without going through approved work channels, that you still have a "personal side" that you can install apps on and do what you want with the data.

If you aren't being issued a corporate, locked-down phone, then there's no reason for Balance at all, because you can already do whatever you want to all parts of the phone.
    I think what he is really interested in is a type of "guest" mode or "child" mode.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    06-01-15 06:13 PM

I knew it was business related to make it simple.
    I would like to see a possibility to have a multi users session like when you share your pc and let a guess use it.
    It's a thing that ipad users have been asking for some time (a tablet in a house can be used by everybody, but Apple wouldn't implement something that could prevent you from buying an ipad for any soul in the hous ) and I would find it very handy to be able to switch to a 'guest' partition when I let my cousins or nephews have a go with my passport.
    It's a question of privacy and Blackberry could be different in that area too which is more for the consumer market

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 06:20 PM
    I have been using the cloud service and Balance since it came out. As mentioned by the other posters, the ability to move things or copy and paste between apps or into emails is very limiting. I will probably delete the work partition next time I get a chance.

The second reason I bought the cloud service is to see if I could use it for a Parental control when my youngest son gets a cell phone. This it seems to be very capable of, especially in the work only mode.

Posted via CB10
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    06-01-15 09:01 PM
    I have been using the cloud service and Balance since it came out. As mentioned by the other posters, the ability to move things or copy and paste between apps or into emails is very limiting. I will probably delete the work partition next time I get a chance.

The second reason I bought the cloud service is to see if I could use it for a Parental control when my youngest son gets a cell phone. This it seems to be very capable of, especially in the work only mode.

Posted via CB10
    Well, both iOS and Android have parental controls for app-downloads and in-app purchases. Also Android has support for mutliple profiles (or even guest mode) starting with 4.3 for tablets and 5.0 for smartphones.

BB10 also has parental controls: How to enable Parental Controls on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

Why would anyone need Balance on a non-company issued phone.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-02-15 02:06 AM
    [QUOTE=robsteve;11684829]The second reason I bought the cloud service is to see if I could use it for a Parental control when my youngest son gets a cell phone. This it seems to be very capable of, especially in the work only mode./QUOTE]

Unless they changed it with BES12, you will disable Parental Controls when you enable Balance.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 02:12 AM
    As a consumer... I really wanted Balance to work opposite of how it worked.

I too tried the free Cloud BES for a little while, but it just didn't work for me they way I wanted.

And too be honest, while the idea behind Balance sounds great for enterprise. In my experience, enterprise really doesn't care to give users a company device that can be used "personally". I think it does make sense for BYOD.... but that leads to who is buying BlackBerry when it's their choice.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-02-15 10:18 AM
    Well, both iOS and Android have parental controls for app-downloads and in-app purchases. Also Android has support for mutliple profiles (or even guest mode) starting with 4.3 for tablets and 5.0 for smartphones.
    Right... and this makes it very hard for BB to charge for features that people can get on other platforms for free, which circles us back around to the original topic.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    06-02-15 05:32 PM

BB10 also has parental controls: How to enable Parental Controls on BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com

Why would anyone need Balance on a non-company issued phone.
    I am not that familiar with the other OS, but when on the BES12 Cloud, you can lock the phone down so that it will only connect to wifi profiles sent to the phone via an IT Policy. What this means, is you can limit the younger kids to wifi connections that have content filtering, such as the school's wifi and a home router with OpenDNS setup on it to filter out mature and inappropriate content. This also allows you to keep them off unlocked and neighbor's routers.

You can also control what apps are allowed on the phone via the work app store. The locking down purchasing has never been a problem, as I control the password. In the past if my older son wanted a paid app, he just asked me and I bought it for him.

I can go on, with more differences, but as I said earlier, BES12 in work only mode allows you more control than the default Parental controls in the OS.
    06-03-15 07:45 AM
    Right... and this makes it very hard for BB to charge for features that people can get on other platforms for free, which circles us back around to the original topic.
    I have limited knowledge of IOS and Android. Can their form of Parental controls limit the wifi access points they can access to a predetermined list and block out open and free wifi access points?
    06-03-15 07:52 AM
    Balance never came out like it was supposed to.
    06-03-15 07:53 AM
    Well if you already charge for anything like BlackBerry does your consumers are somewhat used of it.
    Many apps that are free in Android aren't in BlackBerry's ecosystem.
    But there should be a way to propose a guest partition on BB10 devices without having to check every app and allow its use or not in parental control mode.
    Blackberry focuses on business that's right but that kind of feature advertising Blackberry like as secure for privacy in an entertainment environment as it is advanced in corporate personnal data wouldn't hurt imho.
    And because it would be nothing like the free solutions available on Android they could propose it at a low cost.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 08:23 AM
    I would love a guest partition. That way I could hide all my secret stuff and not worry about ever having to lock it

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 09:08 AM
    Isn't it obvious that some kind of secure mode like this would have to be built into the OS rather than created by a third party? It would have to have the ability to keep certain apps from launching and limit the flow of data between apps. What's the point of some kind of guest partition when anyone who is using an unlocked iPhone can open the mail app, iMessage, phone call log, photos etc.? Third party apps don't have the ability to control user access to native apps.
    06-03-15 09:23 AM
    Isn't it obvious that some kind of secure mode like this would have to be built into the OS rather than created by a third party? It would have to have the ability to keep certain apps from launching and limit the flow of data between apps. What's the point of some kind of guest partition when anyone who is using an unlocked iPhone can open the mail app, iMessage, phone call log, photos etc.? Third party apps don't have the ability to control user access to native apps.
    obviously it is on the OS level of security and it's why Blackberry could monetize that function:
    if you want it you have to subscribe and then have access to a special version of the OS for example with a "Balance-like" option.
    They could also create a "Blend" function for guests:
    when you let your phone on guest mode it goes on a web based OS that is all virtual and doesn't affect your phone and personal data...
    but i don't know how efficient that would actually be...
    06-03-15 10:14 AM
    obviously it is on the OS level of security and it's why Blackberry could monetize that function:
    if you want it you have to subscribe and then have access to a special version of the OS for example with a "Balance-like" option.
    Since when does Apple or any other smartphone maker allow another company to create and market a special version of their OS?
    06-03-15 10:22 AM
    Since when does Apple or any other smartphone maker allow another company to create and market a special version of their OS?
    i never talked about Apple.
    Apple would never let anyone put their fingers in their OS.
    I was talking about Blackberry devices and Blackberry OS.
    When i took the example of the iPad and multi-user option needed i wasn't expecting Blackberry to implement their solution for other platforms, i was just insisting on the fact i already had the same problem on other platform.
    06-03-15 10:36 AM
    I have limited knowledge of IOS and Android. Can their form of Parental controls limit the wifi access points they can access to a predetermined list and block out open and free wifi access points?
    I don't think so - as I understand it, it primarily limits what apps can be run, what services can be accessed, whether additional apps can be installed, and can prevent (without a password) money being spent on various services, including in-app purchases. While I agree that being able to limit the device to certain white-listed networks isn't a bad idea (and useful in certain situations), it would be surprisingly easy to bypass that by simply renaming another WAP with the same SSID and password as a white-listed one. That could be why it isn't implemented elsewhere - I really can't say.

My point, though, was that iOS and Android already have a Parental/Guest mode that will do the things that most people care about, so unless BB (or some other company) came up with something pretty revolutionary, it would be difficult to charge money for those features on other platforms. That's simply the pressures of competition. Could BB do a better job in this feature? I'm sure they could; I'm just not sure they can monetize it.
    06-03-15 11:25 AM
30 12