I've already searched for terms such as "mute certain caller" "mute one caller" etc., plus my brain is a little fried from recent stress so please forgive me if there is an obvious solution to this problem.

I have a friend who has become a severe alcoholic in the 18 years that I have known her. I can only tell you that the reason I still maintain contact with her is because of concern over her child. She is being evicted right now so DRAMA and DRINKING are at an all time high.

She is drunk calling and texting at night. I need other people to have the ability to reach me during the night in an emergency such as my elderly parents.

What is the most logical, fast, least number of button pushing and easy way to mute one person's calls and texts only at night? How would you do it?
    06-19-08 10:55 PM
    Idk, I wonder if a BES could do it?
    06-19-08 10:57 PM
    I don't know about text's, but you can edit a contact, press menu, select custom ringtone, and select MUTE. That works for calls. I accidentally did it to my wife's entry and couldn't figure out for the longest why I wasn't getting her calls!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-08 11:01 PM
    Address Book > Choose caller > Go the the edit screen for that caller > Menu > Add Custom Phone Tune > Press trackball > There should be a list of tunes, and right below Browse it should say MUTE.. Click mute. For texting I don't know.
    06-19-08 11:02 PM
    Maybe just silence your phone for texts, but change the caller tune for her to Mute. I don't believe there is anyway to edit the settings for individual text alerts.
    06-19-08 11:04 PM
    I don't know about text's, but you can edit a contact, press menu, select custom ringtone, and select MUTE. That works for calls. I accidentally did it to my wife's entry and couldn't figure out for the longest why I wasn't getting her calls!

Yeah, probably the easiest way is to do what Jeff suggests. Create a profile exception for the contact and just set the phone and sms settings to mute. Alternatively, you could purchase a call blocking app that you could use to block her number.
    06-19-08 11:04 PM
    Learn something new everyday, I usually list them under DNA then ignore the call. Nice to know I can now mute the DNA listing.

You guys are the greatest! Thanks JeffH
    06-19-08 11:05 PM
    That's too bad! And you can't help these people you aint tellin em sh*t. I got a brother I don't talk to bc of the same thing.
    Alcohol, drugs, or gambling is never the answer people. If you need help, turn to your bb!

06-20-08 12:57 AM

Accidentaly, mmmhmm fess up buddy!!! :-p
    06-20-08 12:59 AM
    Like the others have said, Mute her profile, but you can also set your Profiles to Phone Only at night. This will mute ALL messages (SMS, MMS, email, etc.) but still allow your phone to ring.

I hope your friend can get some help soon. If not for her, for the child.
    06-20-08 01:13 AM
    this will do exactly what you want
    create a new profile and go in & mute absolutely everything.
    create a new exception for this person & tell it to use that new profile.
    when you want to mute that person, you only then need to turn the exception on & off and will only affect calls from her.
    06-20-08 01:38 AM
    That's a good point harbinger.

Go to Profiles>Advanced>Menu>New Profile>name it "Mute" or something and set all notifications to Mute.

Then Profiles>Advanced>Menu>New Exception>Exception: (put her name in the title)>From: (click the trackball and navigate to her contact in your address book)>Use Profile:>Mute

That should take care of it for you. To turn the exception off go to Profiles>Advanced and uncheck the box next to her name and it will ring normally for her.
    06-20-08 02:34 AM
    kronk, check pm...sorry..OP
    06-20-08 02:35 AM
    this will do exactly what you want
    create a new profile and go in & mute absolutely everything.
    create a new exception for this person & tell it to use that new profile.
    when you want to mute that person, you only then need to turn the exception on & off and will only affect calls from her.
    That's a good point harbinger.

Go to Profiles>Advanced>Menu>New Profile>name it "Mute" or something and set all notifications to Mute.

Then Profiles>Advanced>Menu>New Exception>Exception: (put her name in the title)>From: (click the trackball and navigate to her contact in your address book)>Use Profile:>Mute

That should take care of it for you. To turn the exception off go to Profiles>Advanced and uncheck the box next to her name and it will ring normally for her.
    Excellent stuff to know.
    07-08-08 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD