i was wondering if it will wear you battery down over time if you leave it on the charger over night, ive had this problem with other cell phones
    01-03-09 11:18 PM
    Has not affected mine by charging each night.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 11:20 PM
    You can leave the charger on 24/7 if you wanted to. These batteries and chargers are "smart" and will not overcharge.

kaemjose likes this.
    01-03-09 11:22 PM
    I always leave mine on the charger over night. Plus, on the heavy-use days, I "top it off" during the day. This has been my standard practice going back 5 phones and I've never had a battery go bad on me.

The modern lithium-ion batteries do not have the "memory effect" that the older Ni-Cad batteries suffered from. In fact, the Li-ions are almost the opposite: they like to have a full charge most of the time; too many cycles of deep discharge will shorten the life of the battery.

Here is a good write-up on prolonging the life of lithium-ion batteries:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    01-04-09 01:02 AM
    I thought I heard that lithium ion batteries lose 50% of their charge capacity no matter what after about 2 years or so.

01-04-09 08:48 AM
    I thought I read somewhere that u are not supposed to overcharge a bb battery for more than 3 or 4 hours
    But you can charge it anytime although ur battery only lose 1 bar

So far I never charged my battery over 4 hours, I always charged it when I got home and just leave it until I go to sleep
    Also in the mornings when I took shower because I like to leave home with my bb battery in fullu charged condition
    I also have an extra battery in my wallet just in case
    I'm a freak about batteries in my gadget LOL

And I charged mine with regilar chargers, not on a dock

01-04-09 09:03 AM
    no it doesn't hurt to charge it over night.
    01-04-09 09:17 AM
    As advised before, they are "smart" batteries. Charge them over night, top them off during the day or whatever. They will not acquire a memory like older technology batteries did where you "had" to run them all they way down before you recharged.

My 8800 did well going from overnight charging to getting plugged up once in a while during the day in my car just to top it off. Also, just going with the nighttime charge, It still ran a good solid length of time before it needed re charging. Now my Bold is getting treated the same way.

01-04-09 09:20 AM
    The new IL batteries have a number of "charge times" and it's good to completely discharge a battery every now and then.

Here's a good article to read.
    01-04-09 09:21 AM
    Charge it every night all night even if it doesnt need it. NEVER had an issue. Good Luck
    01-04-09 09:23 AM
    Thanks for all the info. I used to charge my nextel phones over night years back and after a few months my battery wouldn't last half the length it did when I got it. I currently charge my curve about every two days for about an hour or two until its fully charged, I'll start charging mine over night now that I know it won't shorten my battery. Thanks for the help

01-04-09 11:23 AM
    i was wondering if it will wear you battery down over time if you leave it on the charger over night, ive had this problem with other cell phones
    No, not a problem at all---
    01-04-09 12:18 PM
    Been doing this all the time with the newer BB's and there has been no ill effect thus far

01-04-09 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD