when backing up the device i see that it creates a new file every time since the file name is the date. my question is: what do most of you do when backing up your device? do you delete the old ones? change file name and overwright? would there be any reason not to delete the old ones and have ALL backups saved?

any suggestions would be helpful! thanks!
    09-18-08 09:14 AM
    I would save a couple as you may discover a problem that was created by something from a week ago.
    09-18-08 09:15 AM
    I would save a couple as you may discover a problem that was created by something from a week ago.
    ah. good point. thank you.
    09-18-08 09:17 AM
    As an example, I had a file corrupt a few months ago and it took out all of my messaging, no email, no texts, well this file was saved in my most recent backup, but not in the one prior, so I lost some current messages, but not everything had I not had an older backup.
    In the advanced section you can also select categories themselves to back up seperately, so once a month I grab a seperate backup for saved messages, in case this ever happens again.
    09-18-08 09:21 AM
    In the advanced section you can also select categories themselves to back up seperately, so once a month I grab a seperate backup for saved messages, in case this ever happens again.
    ok, i haven't tried this yet. i will go look at it!

what would corrupt your BB though?
    09-18-08 09:36 AM
    Best I can figure, it was an email that just didn't come through quite right, I stopped receiving all messages for a day, ended up having to do a complete wipe restored my contacts , memos and calender from outlook, lost my saved messages and password keeper stuff, now I back these seperate once a month just in case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 10:14 AM
    Best I can figure, it was an email that just didn't come through quite right, I stopped receiving all messages for a day, ended up having to do a complete wipe restored my contacts , memos and calender from outlook, lost my saved messages and password keeper stuff, now I back these seperate once a month just in case.

interesting. i don't back up often (twice actually) because i thought only a corrupted app would cause this and i don't dl many apps.

when you back up the device does that back up any 3rd party app as well? or does this need to be done sepatately?

when you back your info up separately does it label it as calender and such and make separate files or folders for each?
    09-18-08 10:18 AM
    Exactly as others said... it is good to have a backup history or an archive of your backups. These files do not take up much space on your PC and may come in handy.

The way I see it : Why would it hurt to keep extra backups?! ya never know why you might need them
    09-18-08 10:26 AM
    Exactly as others said... it is good to have a backup history or an archive of your backups. These files do not take up much space on your PC and may come in handy.

The way I see it : Why would it hurt to keep extra backups?! ya never know why you might need them
    true. true. i am backing up to a memory stick. but i will keep a few on there just in case!

thanks all!
    09-18-08 10:33 AM
    You can name them whatever you want, as far as apps go, I like to load everything from my pc, so the app file is there, I also have an edited version of my 4.3 OS and an edited version of 4.5 on my pc, this makes a bad situation an easy restore.

09-18-08 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD