What is BlackBerry doing to catch the "back to school" wave in North America? I see double paged colour adds for Apple almost every day in the newspapers, Dell and others are already advertising back-to-school specials. Is Blackberry going to promote the hell out of their existing products or release something new, or nothing? Are we (the fans) the only ones trying? Come on guys - you have to start moving!
    07-18-13 10:29 AM
    I agree. With the office apps and how easy emailing, sharing, and apps we now have I think it would be a smart move. However you know they'll just push it off like they shouldn't advertise.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 10:34 AM
    I agree. With the office apps and how easy emailing, sharing, and apps we now have I think it would be a smart move. However you know they'll just push it off like they shouldn't advertise.

Posted via CB10

If there is any age group that would avoid BB like the plague, it's the 18-21 back to school crowd. The brand is so completely uncool among that group, it's not funny. Just the fact that it doesn't have Instagram is a deal breaker right there. Double page newspaper ads aren't going to overcome the perception of uncoolness and the reality of "no apps."
    07-18-13 10:39 AM
    I think they should follow apple on this one and give a BB World gift card. This way you can give $50 but have it cost you only $33.
    07-18-13 10:40 AM
    If there is any age group that would avoid BB like the plague, it's the 18-21 back to school crowd. The brand is so completely uncool among that group, it's not funny. Just the fact that it doesn't have Instagram is a deal breaker right there. Double page newspaper ads aren't going to overcome the perception of uncoolness and the reality of "no apps."
    BMA Major right here and have had BB for 4 years (Yes, in HS I had a BB). I take notes, study PPTs, etc. on my Z10 and love it. The issue is so many people are shocked that the Z10 is a BB cause they didn't know. That's the biggest issue.
    07-18-13 10:46 AM
    I think they should follow apple on this one and give a BB World gift card. This way you can give $50 but have it cost you only $33.
    The only incentive that might work is to sell the Z or Q5 at really low price points.
    07-18-13 10:49 AM
    As I understand it the US BlackBerry marketing department has a big back-to-school push almost ready to go. There will be some big ads in papers, on the web, TV and radio. They are even working closely with carriers to assist in promoting the current devices with some special in store displays.

It's all set to begin the first of October.
    07-18-13 10:53 AM
    So that people can buy apps that do not exist?

BlackBerry should get real on the pricing, and get some apps. That should be more than enough.

Every Q5 review I read, said that the device is overpriced.
    The new A10 will have hardware from 2 years ago, and the Z10 was overpriced as well.

So what should they do?
    Get real on the pricing.

Posted via CB10
    lnichols likes this.
    07-18-13 10:59 AM
    So that people can buy apps that do not exist?

BlackBerry should get real on the pricing, and get some apps. That should be more than enough.

Every Q5 review I read, said that the device is overpriced.
    The new A10 will have hardware from 2 years ago, and the Z10 was overpriced as well.

So what should they do?
    Get real on the pricing.

Posted via CB10
    The z10 and q10 suffer from a lack of demand, I don't believe that will change with the a10.

After Thor abandoned the playbook, a price drop on BB10 smartphones would not inspire confidence for the platform.
    07-18-13 11:13 AM
    The z10 and q10 suffer from a lack of demand, I don't believe that will change with the a10.

After Thor abandoned the playbook, a price drop on BB10 smartphones would not inspire confidence for the platform.

Students do not care that Dad's old PB is down in the basement with his other relics.
    07-18-13 11:25 AM

And demand rises in a price elastic market, if I go down with the price.

The cell phone market is exactly as such.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 11:34 AM
    Being 20 years old I've always thought the "Back to School" phase was more geared toward younger students and not college level (18+). Even high school is pushing it, besides the generic school/office supplies the average high school doesn't really have anything to buy in the back to school craze besides maybe a laptop. I feel like say if the Q5 was released (specially with the colors of red and pink available) then maybe the middle school and early high school age group would be a target. Specially if the parents could get it for extremely cheap/free on contract, which is where it should be priced in the first place.
    07-18-13 11:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think price was only one of the factors in poor sales, so dropping the price might fix that portion of the equation. But if you don't fix everything, they you will always get the wrong results.

Let's face it even it the Z10 were FREE on contract, how much of a difference would that make if a persons reasons for not buying it at $199 were not pricing.
    07-18-13 11:50 AM
    Being 20 years old I've always thought the "Back to School" phase was more geared toward younger students and not college level (18+). Even high school is pushing it, besides the generic school/office supplies the average high school doesn't really have anything to buy in the back to school craze besides maybe a laptop. I feel like say if the Q5 was released (specially with the colors of red and pink available) then maybe the middle school and early high school age group would be a target. Specially if the parents could get it for extremely cheap/free on contract, which is where it should be priced in the first place.
    The college crowd is an important group. They should be a serious target for BB.
    07-18-13 12:42 PM
    I would be pissed if I recieved a gift card to a store that lacked my favorite apps.

Exhibit B using Tapatalk
    07-18-13 12:56 PM
    The college crowd is an important group. They should be a serious target for BB.
    BlackBerry's current products aren't appealing. So attracting a lot of college students this year is out of the question.

Exhibit B using Tapatalk
    07-18-13 12:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Was just looking at AT&T and in addition to dropping the contract price of the Z10 down to $99, the off contract price is down to $434, which I think is very competitive, and probably where it needed to be at launch to move units. Verizon is at $499 off contract and $99 on. If they drop the price on T-Mobile price from $539 (same as launch) in the next few weeks it might make it more appealing to my kids when I give them the option of a Nexus4, Z10 or maybe a GS3 in that price range. Looks like the SGS4 actually is going up in off contract price so it and the iPhone 5 are out of the running for them now. So it appears that BlackBerry is dropping the prices finally, now they have to promote it and get 10.2 and the apps that are holding up because of it out.

They really need to not make the same mistake with the Aristo because I don't see the app situation or the BlackBerry reputation dramatically changing in the next few months.
    07-18-13 01:30 PM