I love my Z10 but it's times like these that i get upset that we still don't have the semi big named apps. Still waiting on my USAA and I was booking a trip and I see that it's available everywhere but BlackBerry :/

Aw man being the odd one out-img_00000603.png

Hopefully by winter we have some more useful apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 07:19 PM
    head over to androidbars.net make some requests and test out android ports
    04-23-13 07:35 PM
    One can hope
    04-23-13 07:35 PM
    Browser browser browser. I know, it's just not the same. You can still book a ticket though! Unless you need to book tickets daily I'm not sure I see why that app is a big deal. Why is it?
    I have 5 phones and 4 computers surrounding me, in the middle of nowhere. If I need to book a ticket I will. It won't make me feel bad about device of choice.

Posted via CB10
    tjseaman likes this.
    04-23-13 07:51 PM
    Browser browser browser. I know, it's just not the same. You can still book a ticket though! Unless you need to book tickets daily I'm not sure I see why that app is a big deal. Why is it?
    I have 5 phones and 4 computers surrounding me, in the middle of nowhere. If I need to book a ticket I will. It won't make me feel bad about device of choice.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with using the browser...its amazing people forget about that when they get hyped up about an app that will get you to the same place. Or an app that isnt on the platform.
    04-23-13 08:43 PM
    http://apk2bar.unker.net/bar/d8/14/9..._v1.0.20.0.bar

give that a whirl and let me know how it works out.
    04-23-13 09:36 PM
    Yea so true people get call out of joint about apps you would rarely use when you can simply use the browser. As it is on my z10 I have many apps I rarely use that I thought I needed at the time.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 09:51 PM
    Yeah I used the browser but I used to have an ip5 and I just remember the ease of using an app for everything I book around 8 trips a year for myself and my sister. I guess I'm just getting used to having bookmarks in the browser instead of app folders

Posted via CB10
    Dapper37 likes this.
    04-23-13 09:54 PM
    Have you tried Skyscanner? I actually like it better than Expedia. Finds the lowest airline price and takes you to the airline booking site.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 10:56 PM
    I agree with using the browser...its amazing people forget about that when they get hyped up about an app that will get you to the same place. Or an app that isnt on the platform.
    Not to mention you don't waste space downloading an app that you only use so often and works just as well on the browser. Not at all huge, but the Yellow pages app is 6.3mb of space I can use for something else and I find the mobile browser version works just as good bookmarked.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    04-23-13 11:22 PM
    How about you call the airlines through phone and ask for the available flights? There are so many options so nothing to worry about. Cheers!
    04-23-13 11:38 PM
    lol ''apps'' they are nothing but mobile websites repackaged for OS.Seriously open up ebay on browser then open the app.The website is far more useable and better.Just the comparison will show you how apps are comical overrated.

When you online you dont go opening apps you use tabs and just go to websites.Stupid dependence on apps need to die its 2013 not 06.We got universal browsers,insane speeds and incredible devs.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-24-13 11:01 AM
    head over to androidbars.net make some requests and test out android ports
    Anything half decent and new won't work. The apps that are converted are done. Not much else left until they change the runtime..
    Have you guys even looked at half your bars? They don't work.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 11:06 AM
    How about you call the airlines through phone and ask for the available flights? There are so many options so nothing to worry about. Cheers!
    Sorry ... you just end up on hold .
    04-24-13 11:13 AM
    Great example how we get conditioned to think if it is not in app form... you cannot do it...this is true with none internet apps...but I have found myself using that type of app less and less... as BB covered the social media thing with the hub.... I find I generally use the browser now over the apps////
    04-24-13 11:17 AM
    My experience is that apps are typically faster and more feature rich than the browers experience. Not always (Facebook app on Playbook, for instance), but in general.

There is also the fact that a stable, high speed internet connection isn't always available. I guess you don't travel much? Or at least, not outside first world countries? Not trying to be snide, but remember that most of the world's population doesn't have the benefits urban dwellers in North America take for granted.

- R.
    04-24-13 11:18 AM
    ... .Stupid dependence on apps need to die its 2013 not 06.We got universal browsers,insane speeds and incredible devs.
    Prime example of first world hubris. Ever tried to use your web browser on an airplane? In a remote location? etc.? Get out much???

There's a place for browser-based apps. But there are a lot of good reasons to have device-based apps as well. To deride needs others have because they don't match your need profile is juvenile.

- R.
    04-24-13 11:22 AM
    Prime example of first world hubris. Ever tried to use your web browser on an airplane? In a remote location? etc.? Get out much???

There's a place for browser-based apps. But there are a lot of good reasons to have device-based apps as well. To deride needs others have because they don't match your need profile is juvenile.

- R.
    An app to book a flight or banking doesn't need an internet connection?
    04-24-13 11:36 AM
    An app to book a flight or banking doesn't need an internet connection?
    I was replying to a post that stated "... Stupid dependence on apps need to die its 2013 not 06.We got universal browsers,insane speeds and incredible devs. ...". Not specific to flight bookings, and banking apps of course need internet connection.

As I said "... There's a place for browser-based apps. But there are a lot of good reasons to have device-based apps as well. ..." My point was "... To deride needs others have because they don't match your need profile is juvenile."

Hope that clarifies things for you.

- R.
    04-24-13 11:41 AM
    I was replying to a post that stated "... Stupid dependence on apps need to die its 2013 not 06.We got universal browsers,insane speeds and incredible devs. ...". Not specific to flight bookings, and banking apps of course need internet connection.

As I said "... There's a place for browser-based apps. But there are a lot of good reasons to have device-based apps as well. ..." My point was "... To deride needs others have because they don't match your need profile is juvenile."

Hope that clarifies things for you.

- R.
    Very condescending, aren't we?

The OP specifically was asking about banking and booking flights, which any app would require an internet connection to do.

Apps have their place and can make some tasks easier than using a browser, but having a browser like on the Z10 does open up opportunities. It's a personal preference.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-24-13 11:52 AM

The OP specifically was asking about banking and booking flights, which any app would require an internet connection to do.

Apps have their place and can make some tasks easier than using a browser, but having a browser like on the Z10 does open up opportunities. It's a personal preference.

Lost me. What does this browser do that others don't?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 11:54 AM
    Lost me. What does this browser do that others don't?

Posted via CB10
    Who said "others don't"? The browser on the Z10 is fast and efficient when browsing banking and travel sites. That's all I'm saying, though, it is miles ahead of the legacy devices browsers.
    04-24-13 12:05 PM
    lol ''apps'' they are nothing but mobile websites repackaged for OS.Seriously open up ebay on browser then open the app.The website is far more useable and better.Just the comparison will show you how apps are comical overrated.

When you online you dont go opening apps you use tabs and just go to websites.Stupid dependence on apps need to die its 2013 not 06.We got universal browsers,insane speeds and incredible devs.
    And in 2013 it amazes ME that people don't understand the one benefit of using an app over the browser: NOTIFICATIONS. Does the browser send you push notifications? Nope. Sure, some things may send you emails with alerts, but I like to keep my emails uncluttered. If information comes to me in a notification I can check it and it goes away. I don't have to waste time deleting it. Plus, if you have a lot of notifications coming to your device, an email might get loss in the shuffle, whereas a notification is easier to distinguish.

Also, many apps are formatted for easy navigation compared to a website. Perhaps some options are available within the app than the website. The group class schedule at my gym is a good example. On the website it's just viewed as a grid of all classes, all instructors, all days, etc. Within the app, you can sort all of that. Want to see all classes taught by a specific instructor this week? You can. Want to see how many times a certain class is offered this week? You can. Want to quickly view this information for other clubs in the area? You can.

I use web bookmarks put on the homescreen and into folders as substitutes for apps, but IMO they're no substitute for a full-featured app. People that shrug off the importance and functionality of apps are just as bad as former RIM management who thoght all they needed was a secure platform and fast email. They thought everything else were just fads and gimmicks. Look where that got them. Want BB10 to survive and thrive? They need to give the masses what they want. Having an awesome browser AND the apps people want make for an unbeatable duo.
    Rooster99 and Bbnivende like this.
    04-24-13 12:17 PM

You're right, my tone was quite condescending. Sorry about that - it's one of those days!

The OP actually made a general comment about lack of apps and used the flight booking app as an example :

"I love my Z10 but it's times like these that i get upset that we still don't have the semi big named apps."

So it's not just about flights and banking. I completely agree with your last sentence - it's a personal preference. That's the point I was making as well, in response to a post that dismissed the needs for any apps at all.

I think we're actually in agreement.

- R.
    04-24-13 12:32 PM
    Lost me. What does this browser do that others don't? Posted via CB10
    It's fast and reliable. That's new to Blackberry! At least, if you're a Storm/Storm 2/Torch owner like me it is!

- R.
    04-24-13 12:33 PM
32 12