Please forgive a possible cross post.

I'm traveling to the UK from the US next week. In a perfect world I'd use my Blackberry until we leave the US, configure it to shut down everything so that I don't pay any charges at all no matter who calls or emails while I'm in the UK, then reconfigure to accept these services when I return to the US.

ATT says that I'll pay roaming charges if someone calls me while I'm in the UK, even if I remove the battery and SIM. Someone else says that's wrong, and that removing the SIM will suffice. Someone else said that simply turning off the mobile network and wi-fi will do it. Can anyone help with this?

Sincerely,

Ray DeGennaro
    09-08-08 01:11 PM
    Since you are on AT&T, I would think just simply shutting down the network would work...data can also get expensive while roaming unless you add an international data plan (a one yr commitment might be required - check with them). And since At&T doesn't have UMA, you would be fine connecting with Wifi to surf the web.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
    09-08-08 01:18 PM
    Under Manage Connections - Mobile Network Options �ou can turn off data services while roaming. Excellent feature.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-08 05:08 PM
    Maybe buy a cheap pre-paid SIM card in the UK. Maybe $20...?

Would be nice to have some localized mobile phone access functionality just in case you need it.
    Last edited by supertireguy; 09-08-08 at 05:34 PM.
    09-08-08 05:31 PM
    Please forgive a possible cross post.

I'm traveling to the UK from the US next week. In a perfect world I'd use my Blackberry until we leave the US, configure it to shut down everything so that I don't pay any charges at all no matter who calls or emails while I'm in the UK, then reconfigure to accept these services when I return to the US.

ATT says that I'll pay roaming charges if someone calls me while I'm in the UK, even if I remove the battery and SIM. Someone else says that's wrong, and that removing the SIM will suffice. Someone else said that simply turning off the mobile network and wi-fi will do it. Can anyone help with this?

Sincerely,

Ray DeGennaro
    I'm confused - ATT says you'll get charged roaming fees if someone tries to call you with your SIM *out* of the phone? That doesn't even make sense....
    09-08-08 07:50 PM
    They will tell you anything. If you shut it down, it won't register - how would they know where you are, you could have left it in the states? If you leave it on and the SIM in, then you will be charged for the roaming. So the best thing to do is shut it down and pull the SIM if you are worried about the roaming fees. If your phone is unlocked, you could buy a local SIM when you get there and insert it so that you would have a local phone.
    09-10-08 07:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD