i know VZN charges 10 bucks a month for their service, but do similar services charge?
    11-23-08 04:36 PM
    no , just use pre installed bberry maps or get google maps .
    11-23-08 04:37 PM
    I drove 400 miles today from SC to central TN today and was spot checking my GPS location on the Storm via Google Maps app - it plotted my position exactly where the Garmin said I was...really cool!!
    11-23-08 05:01 PM
    it will place you within 800meters because it doesn't use the GPS as google has not updated their software for the storm. It uses cell phone tower triangulation to plot an approximate location
    11-23-08 05:02 PM
    Bb maps is only accessing the GPS, google maps is cell tower triangulation

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 05:04 PM
    how do I download googlemap app?
    11-23-08 05:07 PM
    www google.com/gmm/

broke it up b/c I don't have a full ten posts yet...
    11-23-08 05:12 PM
    What's better/more accurate, GPS or triangulation?

I'm going to try them both out.
    12-27-08 10:50 PM
    GPS is more accurate.

12-27-08 10:54 PM
    I never really use or need GPS. Does Blackberry Maps actually connect with satellites in space or is it through the network?

Mine says searching for satellites......
    12-27-08 11:05 PM
    I know Telus charges you $30 a mo... for data. Which is required for GPS usage.
    12-28-08 12:32 AM
    Ran bb maps from here to boston and back last weekend. Worked great. About time vow unlocked the gps portion of
    Things.

12-28-08 01:57 AM
    I know Telus charges you $30 a mo... for data. Which is required for GPS usage.
    GPS doesn't use data, sat nav and other navigation/mapping software using GPS information on the other hand does.

The TrekBuddy.net app doesn't use network connections at all, just GPS, however you have to plan ahead and get your own maps as a result, which is fine if you know you won't have coverage for what ever reason and have the time/effort to put everything togeather.
    12-28-08 08:03 AM
    What's better/more accurate, GPS or triangulation?
    The answer is, it depends.

From what I know about RadioInfo functionality on the BB, the apps can only get info about the currect tower you are connected to, so they can't do triangulation anyway.

If they could triangulation and you had a few pico or nano base stations near by then the accuracy could be better then GPS especially if you are in a tunnel for instance, indoors, or in the urban canon. GPS doesn't play nice with big things with lots of mass that absorb the signal.

If the phones would hand off all the tower info to apps, then triangulation could be used alone or to augment GPS in a similar fashion that A-GPS does, Google and OpenCellID.org and no doubt many others are building databases of cell tower locations from GPS handsets.
    12-28-08 08:09 AM
    Google Maps is putting me about 1/4 mile away from where I really am. I guess that's not very useful.
    12-28-08 08:42 AM
    VZNav and google/BB Maps is an apples/oranges comparison. VZNav gives directions while you are moving and tells you when to turn. Google/BB Maps don't.
    12-28-08 09:19 AM
    Can't wait for this to be updated
    12-28-08 09:52 AM
    I found a thread from Google talking about the functionality of the storms GPS and google maps. I've subscribed to this thread for email updates but thought I would post it for anyone who was interested.....

Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm - Google Mobile Help
    12-28-08 09:56 AM
    VZNav and google/BB Maps is an apples/oranges comparison. VZNav gives directions while you are moving and tells you when to turn. Google/BB Maps don't.
    BB maps doesn't work in Australia so I don't bother installing it/having it installed at all, but I thought it did turn by turn too?
    12-28-08 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD