Curious to know what software is in development that will be exclusive to BB10. There will be software/hardware capabilities that only BB10 will be able to support. Dan Dodge (QNX founder/architect /head architect for BB10 ) has gone on record stating we will experience what we have never experienced before. Do we have any examples of this yet? Outside of BB jam demo's?

There is an over whelming amount of threads full of capabilities of BB10 that are throughout the forums. We need not discuss here platform vs platform capabilities. More so just software that will only be available for BB10 apart from proprietary RIM software.

Has anyone witnessed any such software, have access to, developing such or would like to shout out what they know but are under NDA? If so share your secrets......or whatever else tickles your fancy
    10-23-12 09:01 PM
    Well, they're giving away 10K if you sell 1K.... I'm sure there's gonna be tons of apps that are "BB10 only" from thousands of one man shops. I was thinking though.... how easy it would be to make some really easy app, like a flashlight app, sell it for $200, and have 5 of your friends buy it, then collect the 10K.
    10-23-12 09:09 PM
    I'm under an NDA with Eduardo for all of the interesting parts.

What I can tell you is just things you already know. As a teaser, you may have noticed applications for the PlayBook have slowed down considerably. Developers are all still here, building - testing - preparing - releasing. Just not on OS 2.1.

I'm in the process of upgrading my last dev laptop to target BB10. The software is such, that it isn't easy to build for BB10 and release for 2.1 reliably.

There are some big guns building apps now that may affect the income for us little guys. The API's they have given us is the best set yet. And all the SDK's operate low level (like an NDK app). Android ports have never felt better. And you will finally see some unity on BB10. The best changes are the ones you won't even notice until you try to use an antiquated iPhone or Android. And you realize what they are, "great for their day".

There are some support concerns from my end though. RIM seems intent on pushing support to carriers again - but that's what caused them to lose focus on BB7 and earlier. When you place vendors as barriers between yourself and your client, you become disassociated with their experience and you stop innovating. Vendors tell you what you want to hear, customers tell you what's wrong. By being deaf to one group, you lose balance.

From a SW, HW perspective - there is no better in the field. Second place would be Win 8 mobile based on my experiences - I hope they usurp the industry, BB10 and Win8mob really shine. But that's just my two cents.

Ed

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Jince, TRlPPlN, GTiLeo and 7 others like this.
    10-23-12 09:17 PM
    Well, they're giving away 10K if you sell 1K....
    Mmm not quite.

If you place any app for sale, on BB10, that is RIM certified - they promise you will make 10k. As such, they will pay the difference after 1 year.

So if you sold 10 dollars, they will pay you 9990. If you sold 1000 dollars worth they would give you 9000.

The key word is RIM certified. Which they have stated needs to meet very strict guidelines and uniformity of use and response.

Ed

10-23-12 09:22 PM
    Well, they're giving away 10K if you sell 1K.... I'm sure there's gonna be tons of apps that are "BB10 only" from thousands of one man shops. I was thinking though.... how easy it would be to make some really easy app, like a flashlight app, sell it for $200, and have 5 of your friends buy it, then collect the 10K.
    I was implying exclusive due to platform capabilities. Obviously some devs will only develop for BB10. The 10k guarantee has to meet certain criteria. If you look at what the average dev earns on the BlackBerry platform now, which is over 10k then you see a different picture painted. RIM is levaraging through their statistics what an app of high caliber will generate. Most apps that qualify will earn over 10k within the time frame. The 10k guarantee is an asset to RIM and far from an expense.
    jafobabe and KermEd like this.
    10-23-12 09:25 PM
    From a capabilities standpoint, the following are in varying states of release that I pay attention to.

Notifications
    BBM
    BBM enabled apps
    Carrier sales
    Cross SDK cascades look-a-likes
    Background Services
    More audio/video codec
    Adding mobile data
    BIS
    Cross platform apps (fluid)
    Apps set for a filetype
    All SDKs run at native level
    Android becomes more native
    Better everything else (gyro, compass, etc)

In addition, lots more API support. Simpler coding methods. And a huge open source push for samples.

WebGL, Alice, HTML5,
    NDK with Marmalade, Cascades, QT
    And revamped AS3

This is just the stuff I've had a chance to play with. But I know this is just the tip of the iceberg because I watch this less than most of the group.

Ed

10-23-12 09:39 PM

So if you sold 10 dollars, they will pay you 9990. If you sold 1000 dollars worth they would give you 9000.
    The app has to make at least $1,000.

https://developer.blackberry.com/bui...ommitment.html
    KermEd likes this.
    10-23-12 09:45 PM
    What I find amazing is the very deep access devs have to hardware and the control over the hardware once there. The possibilities this allows for is inexhaustible. What really sparks my curiosity and imagination are the network message passing capabilities in the NDK.

In the new year I can see some really cool API's made available. Still learning the invocation framework. At first it looks similar to what's offered relative to other platforms. Then I look at the transparent distributed processing, networking potential and this just becomes new territory.
    jafobabe likes this.
    10-23-12 09:51 PM
    You need to look more closely at what RIM's criteria are for the 10K buck guarantee. Flash light apps need to be kickass to qualify. In reality this program will not cost RIM a dime.
    10-23-12 10:30 PM
    You need to look more closely at what RIM's criteria are for the 10K buck guarantee. Flash light apps need to be kickass to qualify. In reality this program will not cost RIM a dime.
    I'm afraid there will be some disappointed devs out there, many of these guys are hoping for easy money and they won't earn it without some serious effort. Especially this guy that thinks he will get 9990 after selling 10$. Open your eyes gents.
    10-23-12 10:48 PM
    I'm under an NDA with Eduardo for all of the interesting parts.

What I can tell you is just things you already know. As a teaser, you may have noticed applications for the PlayBook have slowed down considerably. Developers are all still here, building - testing - preparing - releasing. Just not on OS 2.1.

I'm in the process of upgrading my last dev laptop to target BB10. The software is such, that it isn't easy to build for BB10 and release for 2.1 reliably.

There are some big guns building apps now that may affect the income for us little guys. The API's they have given us is the best set yet. And all the SDK's operate low level (like an NDK app). Android ports have never felt better. And you will finally see some unity on BB10. The best changes are the ones you won't even notice until you try to use an antiquated iPhone or Android. And you realize what they are, "great for their day".

There are some support concerns from my end though. RIM seems intent on pushing support to carriers again - but that's what caused them to lose focus on BB7 and earlier. When you place vendors as barriers between yourself and your client, you become disassociated with their experience and you stop innovating. Vendors tell you what you want to hear, customers tell you what's wrong. By being deaf to one group, you lose balance.

From a SW, HW perspective - there is no better in the field. Second place would be Win 8 mobile based on my experiences - I hope they usurp the industry, BB10 and Win8mob really shine. But that's just my two cents.

Ed

No wonder all i see is in the "New Arrival" are e-books on App World. Does RIM count e-books as apps?
    10-23-12 10:51 PM
    No wonder all i see is in the "New Arrival" are e-books on App World. Does RIM count e-books as apps?
    i think they still do
    10-24-12 06:42 AM
    Lol,

First up - they changed the rules to the challenge since I talked to Alec at jam about it.

And second - I'm not saying it will be easy. Just saying - based on my discussion with Alec - that RIM would pay the difference. I'm not "expecting" anything. I'm actually skipping the challenge (it doesn't interest me).

Keep in mind, last time I chatted with them, you had to meet strict criteria to be RIM certified. If your app does not reach 1k, you should not be certified anyways. Course, as I mentioned, it was a long time ago and its probably different now.

Regardless, the 10k challenge is completely off topic for what the OP was seeking (API and system access for devs on BB10).

Ed

jafobabe likes this.
    10-24-12 09:20 PM
    Lol,

First up - they changed the rules to the challenge since I talked to Alec at jam about it.

And second - I'm not saying it will be easy. Just saying - based on my discussion with Alec - that RIM would pay the difference. I'm not "expecting" anything. I'm actually skipping the challenge (it doesn't interest me).

Keep in mind, last time I chatted with them, you had to meet strict criteria to be RIM certified. If your app does not reach 1k, you should not be certified anyways. Course, as I mentioned, it was a long time ago and its probably different now.

Regardless, the 10k challenge is completely off topic for what the OP was seeking (API and system access for devs on BB10).

Ed

What is the consensus through your connections in the software world in regards to the API and system access for BB10? API extensions are something I find interesting. Have devs been making use of this? I find it rather brilliant that the SDK'S seem so open ended and flexible. The platform just ooozes potential....Brilliant minds tend to be drawn to what they can express their full potential through. That's why I feel we will have some amazing third party software.

Another ace up RIM's sleeve is that they have direct access to those that push the state of the art in computer sciences(RIM's alliances,affiliations and connections to premier institutions/business/buddies etx. As well as the connections through RIM's acquisitions. RIM has many connections to those who make sweet software ). These people through their network will spawn some major innovation.

Everything is so sworn to secrecy....I just like connecting the dots based on evidence and what is the obvious foundation. Everything is aligning to greatness IMHO.

Gaming is a place I feel that the general consumer will take note....BB10 is going to be a beast for games. BB10 can bulldozer its way through graphic intense complex gaming from what I'm aware of.

By the way....thanks for everything Ed
    10-24-12 09:54 PM
    **tick tock tick tock** after reading on what the possiblities can be, that damn clock of waiting just got longer and longer.
    10-24-12 10:39 PM