Except netflix just pumped out a brand new tivo app. And tivo has (estimated) a max of 1.5 million total users, some of which have pre series 3 boxes that cannot run netflx. These app makers have agendas that are based on things besides raw numbers as many repeat over and over. And agendas are fine. Its a free country. But it is not simply numbers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    From what I understand, Tivo partnered (read: paid a lot of bucks) to Netflix for the privilege. If that is correct, it makes sense; Tivo needs Netflix WAY more than the other way around. Netflix is being smart, and its Agenda is to make money.

It's the same for RIM with Netflix. It's a staring act, but who has more to lose?

A while back, Kevin theorized about app ransoms. I tend to think that that is what is going on. As a consequence of RIM getting behind in the App Wars, popular developers have commoditized their offerings. MS and RIM are the victims. MS seems to be more willing to play ball.

So, I don't think it is an agenda. I think it is just business.

BTW, PB/BB users (the ones here, at least ) steadfastly state they don't want it, so maybe Netflix is smart to insist on overhead being covered prior to development.
    10-09-12 04:30 PM
    It will.... and it won't.

RIM will have a modern OS with state of the art hardware (or at least competitive hardware). But at release they won't even be a 3rd place OS in marketshare. Sure they are going after Developers so they will have apps for their new platform. But are these developers going to build apps for my Bank? Will they build a Skype app? What about my Cable Provider? Even if BB10 does great and sell 25M devices next year... it will still be too small for these guys to consider, unless RIM gets involved and offers to build the apps for them or gives them some incentive to do it.
    Ding! Ding!! DING!!!
    10-09-12 04:32 PM
    Keep in mind that BB10 and the Current Playbook OS have an android runtime and will run most andorid apps. Though it is lame we have to use a non native app, we don't have to switch to another platform to get what we need.
    10-09-12 04:58 PM
    The BBC launched a major new interactive radio streaming service in the UK just yesterday. The first app released was for the iPhone with an Android app to follow. According to the Daily Telegraph, there will not be any apps for BlackBerry or Windows, because they are "used by relatively few people".
    BBC introduces new Radio iPlayer app for iPhone - Telegraph
    10-09-12 05:02 PM
    Listening to WGN radio and they were talking about their app for iphone, android and blackberry!
    10-09-12 05:52 PM
    From what I understand, Tivo partnered (read: paid a lot of bucks) to Netflix for the privilege. If that is correct, it makes sense; Tivo needs Netflix WAY more than the other way around. Netflix is being smart, and its Agenda is to make money.

It's the same for RIM with Netflix. It's a staring act, but who has more to lose?

A while back, Kevin theorized about app ransoms. I tend to think that that is what is going on. As a consequence of RIM getting behind in the App Wars, popular developers have commoditized their offerings. MS and RIM are the victims. MS seems to be more willing to play ball.

So, I don't think it is an agenda. I think it is just business.

BTW, PB/BB users (the ones here, at least ) steadfastly state they don't want it, so maybe Netflix is smart to insist on overhead being covered prior to development.
    Yes -- to my point -- absolutely, making money is an agenda. And yet I do not believe that is quite the whole picture either. I believe that it is only natural for these software/services companies to want to limit platform choices; after all they only care about the total number of users, right? One platform or ten makes no difference in that case. Over time development costs rise as one tries to support more and more platforms. At some point it gets out of hand. Netflix, for example, is in this situation of not having enough cash to make the really big content deals they'd like. There's a need to control costs.

I think these software companies look around and when they see Google and others publicly drop support for BlackBerry they see an opportunity to some to degree to pile on. With the effect being reducing the number of viable platforms down to a manageable number. Say.. two in the long run.

I am not saying there is someone at Netflix saying hey lets help kill BlackBerry. But I do see meetings where they are looking at the explosion of platforms coming out and someone putting their foot down and saying -- we have to limit this. Enough is enough.

So then as you say -- if platform X is on the borderline -- perhaps they can be "convinced" with some cash. I would think RIM has already made some kind of offer to NetFlix. Maybe not though. BB10 will tell the tale.
    10-10-12 04:46 PM
    No developer here and no clue how good webworks apps are but aren't they suppose to work on both the phones and the playbook?
    If BB10 is like the PlayBook, you will just be able to use the website browser and not need an App. All my bank websites work on the PlayBook. In the case of the festival example, I am sure they probably had a website too.

The only Apps we will need will be for games and specialized services, such as Netflix or web pages that currently use a JVM or Silverlight.
    10-10-12 05:00 PM
    If BB10 is like the PlayBook, you will just be able to use the website browser and not need an App.
    I hope this isn't the case, if so BB10 is in big trouble.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    10-10-12 05:05 PM
    I hope this isn't the case, if so BB10 is in big trouble.

"Big trouble"? Why?
    10-10-12 05:12 PM
    "Big trouble"? Why?
    Because the browsing experience on the playbook is subpar. Constant hang ups, difficult navigation on certain sites, and link selection is annoying...

10-10-12 05:17 PM
    Because the browsing experience on the playbook is subpar. Constant hang ups, difficult navigation on certain sites, and link selection is annoying...

Browsing on the Playbook is subpar?? Are U kidding? I had an Iplod 2 an it was a complete disaster to browse on. It wouldn't even do Scribe documents. Oh wait there's an app for that right? Loaded with freakin' ads. The Ipad 2 has a worst screen, worst camera, locks up continually and wants you to review peoples ads all the time. Ya great device.
    10-10-12 06:13 PM
    Browsing on the Playbook is subpar?? Are U kidding? I had an Iplod 2 an it was a complete disaster to browse on. It wouldn't even do Scribe documents. Oh wait there's an app for that right? Loaded with freakin' ads. The Ipad 2 has a worst screen, worst camera, locks up continually and wants you to review peoples ads all the time. Ya great device.
    *shrugs* I'm not kidding. I don't think the browsing experience is that good.

10-10-12 06:56 PM
    It's gotten to the point where developers aren't just choosing not to bring new apps to BB, they are even pulling and dropping support of apps already developed and working fine. Tumblr and Starbucks are two that come to mind right off the bat. Nothing really wrong with them. Already developed, but yanked.

RIM has a couple of idea's they are implementing to entice developers, but it seems the biggest idea they have is to make it easy enough for developers to leverage the code they already created for iOS or Android and bring it to the smaller audience on BB. In other words, if it is painless enough (read CHEAP enough), then why not?

I think the big problem BB had was the wide range of handsets with different specs and capabilities. How many of the handsets supported OpenGL - 2? Which handsets had the memory and/or horsepower to drive your app? How many different versions of your app did you need just to support the BB lineup? NFC support - one model? Not to mention the fact that the protected memory space architecture has always put a hamper on loading your BB up with apps - with the reserved memory space often being too cramped.

I found it telling that, like an earlier post mentioned, BANKS are ignoring BB's. BB - the phone of businessmen - no bank app. My bank chose only iOS and Android for their app that allows you to take a picture of a check and upload for deposit. My bank is one of the biggest in North America.

There are tons of things done wrong by RIM to cause this situation. Lets hope they really learned, and that it is not too late. I hope that BB10 gets here on time in Q1 2013, and without major flaws.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-10-12 07:17 PM
    I agree developers are done with java BBOS. BB10 should cure that but will remain to be seen if they embrace it or not.
    10-10-12 07:31 PM
    If BB10 is like the PlayBook, you will just be able to use the website browser and not need an App. All my bank websites work on the PlayBook. In the case of the festival example, I am sure they probably had a website too.

The only Apps we will need will be for games and specialized services, such as Netflix or web pages that currently use a JVM or Silverlight.
    That excuse didn't help sell the Playbook, and luckily RIM knows it. They're courting developers like there's no tomorrow. Dev support will make or break the platform.
    10-10-12 07:36 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD