One more thing. As I said before, you generally want to avoid this sort of thing, with any device - to protect your car stereo in this case (the "receiver" of the signal). If you have no better option, make sure that the volume on the source device (Z10 in your case) is not too high, first of all. If too high you may hear distorted sound first of all. Without other equipment, I'd suggest that you do the following:

1. Connect your car to something that has a standard LINE OUT (i.e. *NOT* headphone out). Make sure that the its LINE OUT is *NOT* volume controlled. Best would be a CD player.

2. Rip a song from that CD into your Z10 (or other device). Do NOT normalize the sound or "enhance" it in any way while ripping.

3. Play that song from the original source into your car and notice the volume.

4. Play that song from Z10 into your car and adjust the volume on Z10 (very important, don't touch the car) to make it equal to the original volume. It is safer to start from the low volume and go up than the other way. Keep or somehow remember that volume setting on your Z10 and do NOT go above that regardless of any urge you may have (unless you don't care about your car stereo).
    Saiga likes this.
    06-08-13 12:51 AM
    That is not a stereo cable, it has an extra pole on it. Stereo adapters have three sleeves, left, right and ground. Look at your headphones.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 07:06 AM
    Thank you so much for all of your help. You're filled with useful information about this problem. I never would of imagined it could be the cable, I figured since it worked with the headphones, it must be working properly. There is way more stuff that goes into a simple line in cable than I thought.

Tomorrow, I'll buy a new cable and will hopefully have good news to report!
    Wow, will be interested to know if that works...I guess that would be the cable after all, after a fashion. Glad someone was willing to troubleshoot with you

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 07:53 AM
    Well, I went to the store, bought a normal line in cable with 3 pins and it works with all of my phones. Including the BlackBerry 10 phones that refused to work with the 4 pin cable.

BTW, I charged up the PlayBook, and tested it. Add the PlayBook to the list of devices that work with the car and a 4 pin cable. That list also includes the 9650,9930 and both Storms. I don't know what is special about the BlackBerry 10 hardware, but something has changed.

So strange, but I don't care, I'm just glad it works now. Thanks to those that helped me here!

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    06-08-13 09:00 AM
    One more thing. As I said before, you generally want to avoid this sort of thing, with any device - to protect your car stereo in this case (the "receiver" of the signal). If you have no better option, make sure that the volume on the source device (Z10 in your case) is not too high, first of all. If too high you may hear distorted sound first of all. Without other equipment, I'd suggest that you do the following:

1. Connect your car to something that has a standard LINE OUT (i.e. *NOT* headphone out). Make sure that the its LINE OUT is *NOT* volume controlled. Best would be a CD player.

2. Rip a song from that CD into your Z10 (or other device). Do NOT normalize the sound or "enhance" it in any way while ripping.

3. Play that song from the original source into your car and notice the volume.

4. Play that song from Z10 into your car and adjust the volume on Z10 (very important, don't touch the car) to make it equal to the original volume. It is safer to start from the low volume and go up than the other way. Keep or somehow remember that volume setting on your Z10 and do NOT go above that regardless of any urge you may have (unless you don't care about your car stereo).
    Thanks again for all of your help.

I've read over this list and it got me wondering. Do you think connecting the BlackBerry Bluetooth Music Gateway to my car's stereo is safer than using a cable and just the phones? If so, I might still purchase one. I don't feel like damaging my phone or my stereo to be honest.
    06-08-13 09:29 AM
    Thanks again for all of your help.

I've read over this list and it got me wondering. Do you think connecting the BlackBerry Bluetooth Music Gateway to my car's stereo is safer than using a cable and just the phones? If so, I might still purchase one. I don't feel like damaging my phone or my stereo to be honest.
    Well, you have many options:

1. If your car has Bluetooth, connect directly.
    2. Get a handsfree with the FM feature. This way you don't use multiple pieces of equipment - just one.
    3. Get either BlackBerry Music Gateway or BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speakers. Mini Speakers is "gateway minus NFC plus built-in speakers" essentially.
    4. Get yourself a headphone to LINE IN adapter.

Note - all this is assuming that your car's AUX is a typical LINE IN. It may be smarter than this and accept higher levels too, but you would have to check that.
    06-08-13 12:13 PM

BTW, I charged up the PlayBook, and tested it. Add the PlayBook to the list of devices that work with the car and a 4 pin cable. That list also includes the 9650,9930 and both Storms. I don't know what is special about the BlackBerry 10 hardware, but something has changed.

So strange, but I don't care, I'm just glad it works now. Thanks to those that helped me.
    There are three factors that can cause the 4 connector cable to not work in the stereo socket.

-It is possible that one of the connectors touches one of the isolated bands rather than one of the contacts.

-it is possible that one of the sleeves (contacts) on the cable touches two contacts in the phone (a shorting situation)

-it is possible that either the width of the connector on the cable or the length of the connector on the cable does not trigger the switch.

Have a look at Digikey or Mouser and look up stereo jacks. There are a million or two different kinds, so there are bound to be some manufacturing differences...

Posted via CB10
    Saiga likes this.
    06-08-13 01:21 PM
    The aux cable is simply an analog three wire cable. The 'switch' is a mechanical switch that is opened when you insert it fully into the Jack, exactly the same as headphones.

No mojo and no magic is involved. If it isn't working either the bb10 device OR the cable OR the aux port is faulty.

The cables are bidirectional (so turning the cable around may be the most useless suggestion I have ever heard.. ), but the ports only go in or out.

Posted via CB10
    The most useless statement you ever heard was to ensure the plastic molding on the straight and elbow side of each "different end" of the cable was sufficient for full insertion into the jack. I understand the intricate workings of a complicated device like an audio cable.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 12:11 PM
    That's also a question I asked in the beginning if it was a standard stereo cable (tip, ring) the third contact is for control, aka pausing the music. The headphones provided with my storm 1 were three contact, with a button on the headphone wire that would allow you to pause the music. Well, I'm glad you got it figured out
    ... and it was the cable.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 12:24 PM
    That's also a question I asked in the beginning if it was a standard stereo cable (tip, ring) the third contact is for control, aka pausing the music. The headphones provided with my storm 1 were three contact, with a button on the headphone wire that would allow you to pause the music. Well, I'm glad you got it figured out

Posted via CB10
    I can see by this post that you have a very clear understanding as per your prior snarky post... or maybe not.

A tip and ring cable is a mono cable.. a TRS (or 'Tip Ring Sleeve') cable carries a stereo signal.

But anyways, the party is over and the solution has already been found.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 03:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Mono requires two leads: signal + ground.

Stereo requires three leads: left + right + ground.

There are tricks that can be employed to pass some level of control this way which may be too much for this thread.

Four lead cables are typically used for stereo headphones with a microphone return.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 07:38 PM
    Yeah I guess I used wrong terminology. I guess I meant two plastic rings for stereo, one for mono. I think we should have a fist fight.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 08:16 PM
    Yeah I guess I used wrong terminology. I guess I meant two plastic rings for stereo, one for mono. I think we should have a fist fight.

Posted via CB10
    This is the first time I see someone counting sheep by the space between their ears.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 08:28 PM
    This is the first time I've ever heard someone say that phrase.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 08:37 PM
    It is interesting on Z10STL100-4/10.1.0.2009 when I connect mine to a tape adapter in my car, it says "line out" volume, but when I plug in headphones, it says "headphones." Maybe that's already been stated. If so, I should be abused and degraded. It's only right in the crackberry forums.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 08:42 PM
    I accidentally the whole sheep counting. Is that bad?

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 08:54 PM
    And I really do know the difference between stereo and mono cables, I was just a dummy at explaining it. I hope we can patch up our wounds and call a truce.
    I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. If we want to sit down and have ice cream together, maybe we can patch things up. Maybe we can all talk about audio jacks and cables together.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 09:00 PM
    Aux with Z10-img_00000765.jpg
    Ok I'll leave the thread alone now.

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 09:11 PM
    To give my first hand experience...

Plugged it to a sony home sound system, through A/V to aux cable ( the one with red and white plugs in one side and aux on the other) and the audio played through the phone speaker like it was never connected.

It played low volume with with a 9900, 9360 , 9300 and a Toshiba laptop.

Played correctly with a 9780, GS III, GS IV , Galaxy tab 10.1 first gen and all iphones.

Just thought I'd share

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 07:59 AM
    Hey everyone, I am having the same problem. I use my phone with an aux cable in my car all the time. Last week I went on vacation and was using headphones for the while week (first time using headphones on Z10) and yesterday I tried to plug my phone back into the aux cable in my car and it is not recognizing it. I have the stl300 on rogers in canada. I am also using the premium headphones the came with the Q10

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 08:18 AM
    Hey everyone, I am having the same problem. I use my phone with an aux cable in my car all the time. Last week I went on vacation and was using headphones for the while week (first time using headphones on Z10) and yesterday I tried to plug my phone back into the aux cable in my car and it is not recognizing it. I have the stl300 on rogers in canada. I am also using the premium headphones the came with the Q10

Posted via CB10

1. Do your headphones still work?

2. Do other devices work with your car and the same cable?

3. Are you using proper cable? See past messages in this thread and do not use the four pole cable. If it worked for you in the past, things may have slightly shifted in your car or BlackBerry just enough to no longer hit the same contacts. Four pole cables are NOT proper for this kind of use.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 08:23 AM
    As people in this thread have been saying, it depends on the frequency of the cable itself. Let us say you have a pair of very low frequency headphones. Those headphones will not work because the Z10 or Q10 doesn't notice that there is headphones. I'll give you an example. I have both audio technica ATH-M50 headphones. And beats. The beats won't work on the blackberry Z10 but the audio technicas do. So it all depends on the frequency. If I use a really low end aux cable they won't work but if I use a high end cable they will or will show not compatible

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 06:02 PM
    As people in this thread have been saying, it depends on the frequency of the cable itself. Let us say you have a pair of very low frequency headphones. Those headphones will not work because the Z10 or Q10 doesn't notice that there is headphones. I'll give you an example. I have both audio technica ATH-M50 headphones. And beats. The beats won't work on the blackberry Z10 but the audio technicas do. So it all depends on the frequency. If I use a really low end aux cable they won't work but if I use a high end cable they will or will show not compatible

Posted via CB10
    I am sure you mean the best, but you really need to learn more about this stuff. While some characteristics of some specialized cables do have something to do with "frequency" none of that has anything to do with analog audio cables or the problem described in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 10:07 PM
    Has anyone solved the issue? I'm using a DAC with the latest OS 10.2 release and the headphone jack does not work in the car (Honda CR-V) AUX input. My Torch 9810 works, and I also have used an iPod on the AUX and it works.

Reading through all the threads, it seems to me like the DAC is *NOT* detecting the AUX line plugged into the headphone jack. I use a standard 3-contact 1/8" phono connector (male-to-male). The phone keeps playing sound through it's internal speakers, completely ignoring the fact that I am plugging the line in and out of the headphone jack.

I am fairly sure there is circuitry looking at the impedance of the headphone connection. If there is infinite resistance (i.e. nothing plugged in) then it knows the headphones/aux is not plugged in. However, if it detects a drop in impedence, then it means there is something connected and it works. Look here:

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/document...en/WAN0134.pdf

Also seeing by some of the posts about different headphones working, etc.... My guess is that different sound systems are wired differently and have either their own input protection or the impedance varies, and depending on the threshold it is not "tripping" the internal circuitry/chip on the DAC to tell the software to switch into headphone output mode.

Any solutions to this? Some software to FORCE output or change threshold levels? Or a cable fix (maybe shorter length, or thinner, or better quality) or is it just the sound system itself and the way it is internally wired which can't be changed?
    10-02-13 06:55 AM
    my blackberry z10 works through my radio aux ,but not on my headphones ...i tried several headphones ,but no luck...i think after i have upgraded my OS ,it stopped working...can anyone please help ...i have spend so much money on a decent pair of headphones but cant use it

thanks
    07-29-15 04:54 AM
125 ... 345