My Blackberry browser is set to "Internet Browser". When I walk through the door at home, and WiFi Connects to my router, The Blackberry Browser uses WiFi over 3G
    Ditto. Have tested this also.
    03-11-09 12:33 PM
    I should have been clearer. WiFi will be used for the physical network whenever possible, but browser traffic will always go through the BIS gateway if Internet Browser is chosen. This is fine most of the time as long as you don't mind your traffic traversing RIMs network before hitting the Internet. Where it breaks is when you need a direct connection such as when you connect to something internally behind a firewall, or setup a secure tunnel. Then you must to use the Hotspot browser to guarantee the traffic originates from your network instead of RIMs.
    03-11-09 01:25 PM
    Yeah, it still goes through BIS. That was why I asked him if he specifically needed it to be hotspot browser. Most people don't and think they aren't using wifi unless it's using hotspot.
    03-11-09 01:28 PM
    Switched from my existing data plan to unlimited data plan & bingo!! My Bold showa a bright whitw wifi logo as well as a green check against wifi in manage connections

It seems that the unlimited plan did the trik.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by abhinavsg; 03-18-09 at 01:44 AM.
    03-17-09 07:02 AM
    Hey guys, my telecom network currently doesn't offer any unlimited data plan, so I'm really interested in this topic. Whenever both 3G and WiFi connections are available, how do I MAKE SURE that I am utilizing the WiFi connection for my BB/PIN messaging needs?

For general internet surfing, I set the default browser configuration from Internet Brower to Hotspot browser, so that when I go to data-intensive sites like youtube, I utilize the WiFi connection (free) and I don't need to worry about getting humongous data charges in my bill.

But for BB/PIN/YM/GTalk/AOL messaging, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
    03-17-09 01:59 PM
    Bottom line is you should not have mobile network enabled if you want to make absolutely sure you are using wifi.

Some of the 3rd party chat apps allow you to specify connection types.
    03-17-09 02:40 PM
    Hi....would you be kind enough to help me. I got the same issue....instead of accessing my free wifi connection it goes to 3G and they charge on me. I got the same "-" sign against my Wifi name in Manage Connection and a gray wifi sign instead on white as you guys says.

Please help

Regards
    Peeps
    05-12-10 04:54 PM
    What I've seen on my torch is that if you have 3G on and wifi off and then turn on wifi, 3G is still your network access. To switch it to wifi I had to turn off 3G and then the blackberry icon moved to wifi. Turn 3G back on and wifi is still the boss. Which everone has the BB icon to the right is the one that is being used.

Thanks
    02-27-11 05:28 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD