I am a new curve user and I am woundering how to go about turning off the automatic period function on my curve? Has anyone tryed to do this, and if so how? thanks!
    05-12-09 02:59 PM
    I think all you should have to do is hit the space bar twice and it should insert a period.
    05-12-09 03:04 PM
    I may completely wrong but I don't think there's a way to shut that off.
    i don't think you can... it isnt in the autotext list...
    Agreed, I don't believe it can be shut off either...
    05-12-09 03:05 PM
    Lol, The formal business background shows through in a few ways.

All initial letters are capitalized, all sentences must end with a period. It throws the texting/IM crowd for a loop.

There is no off setting, but it is simple to defeat, just takes a backspace.
    05-12-09 04:42 PM
    lol. Would it kill you to use proper punctuation?
    05-12-09 04:43 PM
    Lol, The formal business background shows through in a few ways.

All initial letters are capitalized, all sentences must end with a period. It throws the texting/IM crowd for a loop.

There is no off setting, but it is simple to defeat, just takes a backspace.
    Or ... only put one space after a sentence, not two. Then it won't add the period.
    05-12-09 05:01 PM
    Or ... only put one space after a sentence, not two. Then it won't add the period.
    Wouldn't that add the burden of having to capitalize
    the start of every new sentence manually. No thanks.
    05-12-09 05:08 PM
    Simply hold down the Shift Key as you hit the Space Bar. This will defeat the period and all AutoText functions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 05:41 PM
    thanks cdf3...

...you learn something new every day!
    05-12-09 09:08 PM
    Wow. I love the auto period! It speeds things up for me, but I don't really abbreviate much when I text.

05-12-09 11:01 PM
    Agreed. The auto period is awsome! I can't imagine anyone "not" enjoying it.

05-13-09 12:03 AM
    I hate it... then I move to my PC and have sentences without periods and Caps.
    05-13-09 01:28 PM
    I can't figure out why you'd want to disable it. To each their own, but someone please explain!
    05-13-09 01:45 PM
    I can't figure out why you'd want to disable it. To each their own, but someone please explain!
    well its reel simply you dont hafta punktuate so it safes lots of time and i can send my important messgs and there is no delay dont you like to send things without wasting time using periods and such it makes life so much better so you should try it cuz the world woudl be be bettr without it i was just reading the other day that obama doesnt punctuate and if thats the way he does it thats the way i will do it why do you think so many people get so hung up on this stuff it doesnt make no sense does it my mom gets onto me all the time but shes just dumb dont you hate it when parents and teacher r allthe time trying to mess with you its just so ******** and lame oh well gotta go meat my bff at dq for some fries and blizards mmmmm oreo blizzrd is my fave
    05-13-09 01:58 PM
    Lol at the post above.

Re: the OP - why? Is it that uncool to use proper punctuation? Run on sentences are extremely difficult to read; in fact, if I see a post that is one huge run on I won't even read it.

05-13-09 02:04 PM
    Lol at the post above.

Re: the OP - why? Is it that uncool to use proper punctuation? Run on sentences are extremely difficult to read; in fact, if I see a post that is one huge run on I won't even read it.

Right, and I can't imagine someone going out of their way to do that. Not to mention it doesn't just randomly insert periods, it does it after two spaces. Meaning if it's just a run on, you shouldn't even encounter this unless you insert two spaces randomly. Which is why I am really curious as to the explanation, lol.
    05-13-09 02:10 PM
    Maybe they want a bigger space to signify the end of their "sentence", but not a period? Haha, no clue, it's a mystery to me. Hopefully they'll clarify because I'm very curious.

05-13-09 02:22 PM
    Got to thinking about this. I would wager a bet, this was one of the first features they built into the first BlackBerry to justify calling it a Smart Phone.

LuvMyBB and his generation are re-defining our common language. I wonder where keyboard evolution will go, without the need for a shift key or punctuation?

Personally, I prefer Old Skoll.
    05-13-09 02:53 PM
    LuvMyBB and his generation are re-defining our common language. I wonder where keyboard evolution will go, without the need for a shift key or punctuation?

Personally, I prefer Old Skoll.
    Reed, I'm 43 years old and "Old Skoll" too. Remember, I'm the one asking if we're witnessing the end of good English. I'm on your side.

So, as my signature states, I'm confused!
    05-13-09 02:59 PM

LuvMyBB and his generation are re-defining our common language.
    I doubt they'll get very far...

The Costly Comma Communications Conundrum In Canada | Techdirt

All other arguments aside, clear and concise use of the language is still required in the real world once Mom & Dad stop providing little Rick and Jane with an allowance.
    05-13-09 03:09 PM
    I doubt they'll get very far...

The Costly Comma Communications Conundrum In Canada | Techdirt

All other arguments aside, clear and concise use of the language is still required in the real world once Mom & Dad stop providing little Rick and Jane with an allowance.
    I repeat: I am ON YOUR SIDE! I am NOT the one trying to change the language...I'm the one on the other side hoping we don't lose our ability to use the language properly and effectively. Read my posts again.
    05-13-09 03:17 PM
    Reed and Alleycat, my "run-on" post was pure sarcasm. I thought it was evident...perhaps not.
    05-13-09 03:19 PM
    Reed and Alleycat, my "run-on" post was pure sarcasm. I thought it was evident...perhaps not.
    Right. I got that. I was addressing my reply to Reed and your sarcasm got in the way. Sorry about that.

See how important some punctuation is?
    05-13-09 03:22 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD