Hi All,

So I've got a question about plugging in my ear buds to my blackberry. I have the 8830, but I imagine that this question can apply to a large array of electronics.

So I have a nice set of ear buds that have the 1/8 inch connection(called a TRS, right?), and I need to plug into the phones 3/32 inch bay. So I got an adapter, however the adapter has 4 metal contacts--ground, audio in, audio out, and I believe the last is video; but the ear buds have just the three--ground, audio in, and out. From my understanding, TRS is not compatible with TRRS, so this adapter will not work between the buds and the 8830. I believe that the 8830 takes the TRS. I just spend 50 bucks on these buds, so I don't really want to buy a special pair just for my phone. I'd like to use the same pair if possible. Is it possible to get a TRS to TRRS adapter in these sizes so that I can use my buds with my 8830?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is "TRS" and "TRRS" correct? I don't really know the difference between that and some similar looking jacks. There are so many different ones, it's hard for me to keep track. Similarly I've read of them being called the following: stereo plug, stereo jack, and tiny telephone connectors(TT). Could someone please clarify the differences for me, and what I need?

My buds plug into my laptop, so it's the same standard jack that comes with say...an iPod.

EDIT: Also, for us audio illiterate people, on top of explaining the differences between the jacks, if you could direct us to the needed adapter too, that would be great!

Thanks,
    Le Aeronautical
    Last edited by Le Aeronautical; 12-03-10 at 04:35 AM.
    12-03-10 04:25 AM
    The 8830 jack is strange indeed.

I spent some time investigating it a while back and what I learned is contained in this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/not-...r-works-27421/

The pic below details how the jack needs to be wired for simple headphone use. The 1k4 Ohm resistor is there to substitute the Mute/Hangup switch incorporated in the full headset with microphone.

I have built the above cable adapter and it works just fine on my old 8100.

There used to be several suppliers here on Crackberry who make adapters that work properly.
    Try the one from Seidio at Seidioonline.com or in the Crackberry store.

Verizon used to sell one that worked too but I'd take a set of headphones to the Verizon store to test functionality before I paid money.

A simple 2.5 to 3.5mm jack adapter will NOT work so don't buy one. You need the 4 pole jack and the 1K4 Oresistor incorporated into the works.
    12-03-10 05:13 AM
    That seems ridiculous. Too bad that I already bought the one from Radio Shack. Would this work?
    www [dot] seidioonline [dot] com/product-p/ada3-bb8100m35fst [dot] htm

Did you actually solder the jacks into your curve to test it?

-Le Aeronautical
    p.s. sorry for the "[dot]'s", the forums say that I have to have 10 or more posts to post links
    12-03-10 05:32 AM
    I have not actually tried the Seidio product but I am told it works. Ask Seidio on their website. They are very helpful.

Yes, I actually soldered up the resistor and managed to hide it inside the flying 3.5mm socket. I used it quite a bit until I bought a newer BlackBerry with a 3.5mm jack.

It was made this was so that a full headset microphone and all would work properly as well as being used for a music player. Also by doing this it was possible to detect which type of device was plugged into the phone.
    12-03-10 05:39 AM
    Okay, cool. I'll ask and give it a shot and post back here with my results in a few days.

Thanks a bunch!
    12-03-10 05:41 AM
    Actually, one more question. Since my ear plugs have the 3 poles, if I get the adapter with 4 poles, will it work? Are they compatible?

Thanks!
    12-03-10 05:59 AM
    Stereo Phone Plugs have a Tip, a Ring and a Sleeve. Tip and Ring are for Left and Right channels and Sleeve is for common ground. In the Jack.
    12-03-10 07:12 AM
    All standard headphone jacks have the left headphone on the Tip, right headphone on the Ring with the gound/common on the Sleeve.

On a three pole jack the sleeve extends right down to the ring insulator.

A 4 pole jack has thwo rings and therefore a shorter sleeve.

The phone detects this and gets confused if you do not put in the 1K4 Ohm resistor.

I tried just what you suggest (no soldering, right?) and it would not work. That little resistor is essential for the phones to work properly on the 8830 I am afraid.

As my drawing shows, you can then connect the three wires to a standard 3.5mm TRS headphone jack.
    12-03-10 07:53 AM
    Hi All,

So I've got a question about plugging in my ear buds to my blackberry. I have the 8830, but I imagine that this question can apply to a large array of electronics.

So I have a nice set of ear buds that have the 1/8 inch connection(called a TRS, right?), and I need to plug into the phones 3/32 inch bay. So I got an adapter, however the adapter has 4 metal contacts--ground, audio in, audio out, and I believe the last is video; but the ear buds have just the three--ground, audio in, and out. From my understanding, TRS is not compatible with TRRS, so this adapter will not work between the buds and the 8830. I believe that the 8830 takes the TRS. I just spend 50 bucks on these buds, so I don't really want to buy a special pair just for my phone. I'd like to use the same pair if possible. Is it possible to get a TRS to TRRS adapter in these sizes so that I can use my buds with my 8830?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is "TRS" and "TRRS" correct? I don't really know the difference between that and some similar looking jacks. There are so many different ones, it's hard for me to keep track. Similarly I've read of them being called the following: stereo plug, stereo jack, and tiny telephone connectors(TT). Could someone please clarify the differences for me, and what I need?

My buds plug into my laptop, so it's the same standard jack that comes with say...an iPod.

EDIT: Also, for us audio illiterate people, on top of explaining the differences between the jacks, if you could direct us to the needed adapter too, that would be great!

Thanks,
    Le Aeronautical
    There are standard stereo plugs, mini stereo plugs, micro stereo plugs. We use the mini stereo plugs on our bb's. If you are trying to adapt a standard plug to a mini just buy the standard stereo to mini stereo adapter. The Blackberrys input jack is designed to accept mini plug stereo headphones as well as mini plug stereo headphones with a microphone. I have used a standard stereo plug with a mini stereo adapter on my 8330 with no problems. It can be confusing if we over think it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-10 09:27 AM
    In the audio world a standard plug is 1/4 in. A mini plug is 1/8 in. And a micro plug is 1/16 in. Bottom line is if the headphones you wish to use have a microphone you need the 4 contact adapter if they do not have a mic, use the 3.

Last edited by albee 1; 12-03-10 at 09:40 AM.
    12-03-10 09:31 AM
    There are standard stereo plugs, mini stereo plugs, micro stereo plugs. We use the mini stereo plugs on our bb's. If you are trying to adapt a standard plug to a mini just buy the standard stereo to mini stereo adapter. The Blackberrys input jack is designed to accept mini plug stereo headphones as well as mini plug stereo headphones with a microphone. I have used a standard stereo plug with a mini stereo adapter on my 8330 with no problems. It can be confusing if we over think it.

3.5mm jacks are standard on modern Blackberrys. However the older 88xx (which the OP has) and the 81xx series used a smaller size jack, 2.5mm.
    12-03-10 09:46 AM
    In the audio world a standard plug is 1/4 in. A mini plug is 1/8 in. And a micro plug is 1/16 in. Bottom line is if the headphones you wish to use have a microphone you need the 4 contact adapter if they do not have a mic, use the 3.

This will not work. A simple 4 to 3 pole adapter just does not function. You must have the resistor. Also a dumb 3 pole 2.5mm jack cannot be just simply plugged into the 4 pole socket.
    I know what I am saying because I carefully researched this a long time ago and I built a working device - that is still working. I have given the OP precise instructions and a working diagram as to how to make one as well as a commercial source for one.

If all you know-it-alls would just read the history posts, you would see the original problem and how we solved it.
    12-03-10 09:49 AM
    I'll take your word for it pete. The only thing I ever adapted for the bb was a standard 1/4 in stereo headphones with no mic. . Worked fine with the mini trs adapter.

Yeah, I use 1/4" jack for audio work too.

This was an absolute pita when we tripped over it. I must have spent 2 full days to find out exactly what was happening. It then took some more time to make a working adapter.

The problem comes from the shorter sleeve on the 4 pole jack, the need for a small amount of power for the condenser mic, the mute/hangup button requirement and RIM's desire to detect just what has been plugged in and react accordingly. Things are much better now though since, even though there is still a 4 pole 3.5mm jack the OS does a much better job of detecting that all critical joining of the second ring to the sleeve. This, of course indicates that someone has plugged in a stanrard set of earphones.

It all harks back to the days when people mostly used their phones for making calls - duh.

Things are much better now
    12-03-10 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD