I switched from a 700p just a week ago and yes I miss the SMS threads ... but is that really a big deal???

The only thing is that I can't seem to get my data off the palm so I can have all my numbers using the desktop software.

YES ... I have all the latest versions and the palm box is still greyed out. I would really hate to have to input all of those numbers one by one ... can anyone help!!!

Outlook will not work for I got email addresses in Outlook that I don't want on my phone unless you can show me how to sync some names and not others.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
    06-01-08 07:09 PM
    Initially, I felt lost without the touch screen as well. But now, three months later, I love the trackball more than touch screen.

Furthermore, the stability of the Blackberry compared to Treo is so much better. Gone are the days where I have to reset my treo 750v at least 5 times a day...
    I second that x 100 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just switched from the brick (650) about three weeks ago to my curve and I cannot be any happier. It has all the features I was expecting my treo to have but didn't. I got so sick of the mail not syncing. It would try and try and try until the battery burned down if I set it to sync every couple hours. Now my mail just pops in and I am delighted. I love being able to have different profiles too on my calls. I bought and returned 4 different bluetooth headsets and NONE of them would work without static no matter how much more money I spent on them so I just gave up. OH and the browser on the treo was a JOKE!!!

Yes not having the touchscreen was hard for about the first 3 days!! Then after two weeks of having my BB I went to sell my Treo on ebay and I could barely even remember how to operate the stupid thing...you adjust real fast!!

As for the only cons I can think of:
    1. Yes the SMS message format was a bit annoying at first
    2. I wish the BB would hold the browser data so you don't have to type in usernames and addresses every single time but most sites remember your login info.

PS I had NO problem syncing my Treo with my BB.

I'm sure treo has more upgraded features on their newer phones but I will NEVER go back for more reasons than I care to type out for the next couple hours!!!
    Last edited by kbastic; 06-01-08 at 08:01 PM. Reason: boo boo
    06-01-08 07:16 PM
    I switched from a 700p just a week ago and yes I miss the SMS threads ... but is that really a big deal???

The only thing is that I can't seem to get my data off the palm so I can have all my numbers using the desktop software.

YES ... I have all the latest versions and the palm box is still greyed out. I would really hate to have to input all of those numbers one by one ... can anyone help!!!

Outlook will not work for I got email addresses in Outlook that I don't want on my phone unless you can show me how to sync some names and not others.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

The easiest way is Outlook. If there are email addresses you don't want on your curve, move them to a different folder in Outlook.
    06-01-08 07:28 PM
    I had a Treo 650, a couple of 680's, and a 750 for a very brief time (I detest WM!!) before coming to BlackBerry...and I've never looked back.

The only thing that I think is even close to being better on the Treo is perhaps the keypad...which seems to be a little more comfy and easy to type quickly on that my Curve, and certainly my 8800. But, aside from that one thing...there is simply no comparison.

I have two friends who still carry Treo 680s and they absolutely feel like low-tech bricks compared to my 8310. I would never go back...
    06-01-08 07:56 PM
    Not sure why everyone feels the need to compare to Treo.
    - Try shooting video on your Curve.
    - Try storing apps on your memory card
    - Try finding a good Calendar program like Datebk
    - Try plugging in an external antenna(can't, no jack)
    - Try creating your own desktop by setting icons just where you want them. (Without spending weeks learning to program a theme)
    - Try turning off the camera shutter sound

I can go on and on here. The Treo does everything about right out of the box. Plus 3G on AT&T.

I am also a recent convert from a decade of Palm OS products over to BlackBerry. I do agree that RIM is kicking Palm's ****, however, the Treo is no brick.

PS - and RIM is just now looking at going touch screen.
    06-02-08 12:25 AM
    Just made the switch to BB curve from a HTC mogul, I will never go back to a WM6 device
    06-02-08 12:35 AM
    I am a former Treo 650 & 700P user on Sprint and I missed the touchscreen for about 3 minutes. I find it much easier to use the trackball rather than moving my finger all over the phone or pulling out the damn stylus that I lost about every couple months. Another annoyance of Treos is the the fact that the phone has to contact my mail server to get me emails rather than BB telling my phone that I have a new email. I could go on for hours but here is my final thought...the Treo is about twice as thick and more than twice as heavy compared to my Curve. The Curve is an overall better looking device and just feels better in my hand.

On the flipside, one of the things that stands out in my mind is the durability of the Treo....it seemed like the Treo could take huge amounts of abuse & still work...my Curve sometimes seems a bit fragileN but does the job great...

I definitely don't regret making the switch...both from the Treo & from Sprint (worst experience ever!)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-08 01:08 AM
    Ya I had a treo too, loved the threaded messaging! Can you read this RIM? LOVE THREADED MESSAGES... anyway the ******** touching of the screen wore off quick... I can do things just as fast if not faster with my berry so... yup nooo turning back!
    06-02-08 01:15 AM
    ***oh and by ******** touching I mean the blackberry... I would by habbit touch the screen... :/ meh...
    06-02-08 01:16 AM
    ***oh and by ******** touching I mean the blackberry... I would by habbit touch the screen... :/ meh...
    hahaha... so it wasn't just me. I catch myself doing it once in a while. I still have to use my old WM phone once in a while till august.
    06-02-08 01:27 AM
    Im a Treo 650/680/750w convert. I was so worried I would be lost without my touchscreen and threaded msging but I got over in about 3 minutes alike another user. Ill never go back to another phone, just bc BB fits my needs perfectly.

My mother who is looking to keep up with the younger generation, and has learned to text, has found the treo 700w to be perfect for her, and she loves the threaded SMS.

Personal preference and what its going to be used for makes a big difference IMO.
    06-02-08 01:51 AM
    I had been using palms for a tad over 5 yrs when I switched to bb recently. I really was convinced life was going to be difficult without the touchscreen, but thought it was worth it based on the size difference between the treo and bb alone. so a few weeks and a lot of miles on the track ball later, i have all but forgotten what a touch screen feels like. in fact, i was playing with my treo last night to reset everything for a friend who wants it and kept hitting the escape key (which doesnt exist, you have to go home or to the phone screen) and tried rolling the trackball rather than pushing the buttons to move.

overall, there was only one good thing about the palms, but with so many others on the bb side, its so worth the switch.
    06-02-08 04:50 AM
    Can all the ex-Treo users post if they are happy with switching over to BB? Yes, no, or mixed. I'm mixed still after a month.
    I'm so happy now I could do backflips!

I am soooo happy to be away from that brick.

I hated the touchscreen, it was so buggy, always needing recalibration, and restarting on its own, freezing up, i never recommended palm to anyone at all.

Just so you dont think i was new with treos, i had: 600, 650, 680, 750, 680, 750, 680, 680 750, not including the PDAs i had, visor and such, i think you get the idea.

Only thing i liked was the SMS chat setup, and the 3g on the 750 was ok, but not worth having a palm over..
    I wont say I hated the touch screen, frankly I think the touchscreen was the least of the Treos problems and I had less freezing with the 755p than I did with all the others.

Former (all Palm): 600, 650, 700, 755

I'm in agreement with you on there SMS setup. Its a shame that its not incorporated into ALL phones of this type.

I thought that I would be lost with out the touch screen, but now I would never want one again. I love the ball.
    Initially I thought I'd be lost too. I think somewhere in the back of my mind I knew the BB wasnt touchscreen so upon first use, I instantly started using the trackball without reaching to touch the screen for anything.

Much prefer the BB over the Treo, I've had the BB a month and won't go back!
    My sentiments exactly!!

With Treos though, I never liked them. Something about the Palm OS that I just didn't like, it felt stale.
    I wont ever say that I never liked the Treo. During it's hey day (600), it was something to marvel at. It was new and innovative and many wanted to have one. But up to an including the Centro, nothing has changed.
    Whether its Palm or windows based, they all remain the same. It's almost like, if you've seen one Treo, you've seen them all type feeling I have regarding them now. As Jason says, "stale!"

Removing the antenna. Wow! How many design engineers and years did it take to come up with that?

.....But I hated the bulk of the treo and I'd heard that a lot of people were having stability issues with the newer ones (I had a 600 and it was like an old mule that kept hauling a$$ and refused to die - I don't think it EVER froze or spontaneously reset itself)
    Now the bulk I did hate. And you would think that after all this time and so many complaints about the size, someone would have an epithany and decide to make the thing smaller. Centro is not small to me. Its awkward, fat and has tiny buttons. Qwerty was NOT my friend on that thing.

LMAOOOO @ an old mule that kept hauling a$$ and refused to die

I still have a bit of love for my Treo, but not for the WM5, or the resetting, or the freezing.
    When I ditched Treo, I didnt run into the arms of my BlackBerry. I crossed the fence to Windows. PPC 6700, Mogul, Touch. The story behind the 6700 move was my nails; they're extremely long and I thought that I'd do better with an extended keyboard. I only had the 6700 3 months before the Mogul hit store shelves. Always having to have the latest and greatest, I bought one at the tune of $630.

The Mogul was such a disaster that after 5/6 months, eCare agreed to swap me the Touch. That POS was no better. It's size is awesome, but size doesnt matter when it wont wake from sleep for calls, texts or alerts. Anyone whose had the Mogul & Touch and have experienced these issues know that all you wanted to do was drop it out a window..... a really high window!

Overall I am highly impressed with my BB experience so far. It's only been about a month of usage and I cant seem to put the thing down. For the few times I have laid it down and walked into another room, I catch myself suddenly stopping because I hear an alert and pratically run to grab it.

There was a time when someone could say to me, "let me see your phone" and I'd let them see it. Now, I tell them where they can find the nearest Sprint store and check it out there.
    06-02-08 05:48 AM
    Don't miss the Treo one bit.
    06-02-08 08:30 AM
    I had a treo for a short period of time...I hated it! I bought it on Ebay, and then turned around and sold it on Ebay in less than a month. I love my bb.
    06-02-08 08:36 AM
    I switched over from a 750w to a curve about 2 weeks ago, and I'm never looking back. I didn't really like the touch screen and the email push sucks compared to bb. I sold it on EBAY for $185. The only thing I liked better on the treo was to sms text format. I will be getter the bold as soon as its released.
    06-02-08 09:00 AM
    After starting with Berry's and going to Treo's for a few years I can honestly say that I'm much happier with my Curve. Couple of caveats/comments:

No SMS Threading - very aggravating.
    Camera Sound - no way of shutting it off. This is irritating when you're sneaking a picture of your 6 month old and he wakes up becasue of it!
    Touchscreen - surprisingly was a non issue. I thought it would be sorely missed but the trackball is easy to use.
    Customization - the Curve is more customizable (although this can be a negative to some folks).

Hope this helps.
    06-02-08 05:18 PM
    I have used a Palm almost my entire business career. I hesitated about migrating to Blackberry because I was a slave to the Palm desktop. I loved how user-friendly it and the Palm 700P device was. But I got sick and tired of ABC (always be charging). The battery would be at 50% by lunch!

The straw that broke the camel's back was a recent crash and I had to spend 45 minutes re-installing the mail software and tweaking the settings. I had had enough! Time for a 8830 World Edition!

I spent the better part of a day getting my information synced properly, but I expected that. If you need assistance with a painless migration, please contact me.

After using my 8830 for a day or two, I came to the conclusion that Palm should be ashamed of themselves!

Here is a list of what I don't miss about the 700P:
    -Battery life
    -Constant crashes
    -Weight & thickness
    -Large antenna
    -Buggy & slow browser

Here is what I do miss:
    -Availability of free, open-source software
    -The fact that it is a Palm and I used the platform for so many years

My 8830 is a slim, light-weight and just plain elegant device. I am thrilled with the battery life and the fact that it knows when it is in a holster. I do miss the Palm desktop because of the password protection, but Outlook accomplishes the same functions.

The browser on my 8830 is remarkably fast and I won't even touch base on the e-mail aspect. Again, Palm should be ashamed of themselves.

My only gripe about my device is the lack of on-board memory and the fact that you can't run apps from the memory stick. I was accustomed to hundreds of games and apps on the 700P.

I am now a "convert" and I won't look back.

I have trolled crakberry.com for several two months now, but this is my first post.
    06-03-08 10:58 AM
    The only things I miss are real IMAP folder mapping and TakePhone. Otherwise, I'm sold on the BB and will most likely not use anything else.
    06-03-08 11:22 AM
    It's been a few months since I switched to a BB 8830WE, after having used Palm devices for many years (going back to the original Palm Pilot). While overall I would not go back to the current generation of Treos and doubt that Palm can pull itself together, I have mixed feelings about the BB.

BB Pros

Very Stable - that is hands-down the best thing about the BB (although it does seem to have a memory leak).

Size - much better than the Treo.

PIM integration - much more stable integration with Outlook. I also like the easy ability to add other e-mail accounts - MSN, Yahoo, etc.

BB Cons

The memory is way too limited. I only have a few 3rd party apps, but I'm constantly fighting memory limits and trying to keep the BB from automatically deleting appointments, e-mails, texts, etc. I've worked through all the threads and suggestions on this, but it is still a problem.

Lack of third party apps. And the third party apps that do exist are expensive, much more so than Treo apps.

Sorry, but I miss the touchscreen.

Limitations on viewing web sites, e-mails, attachments etc. (I know, improvements are coming, and for now I'm using Opera mini, BBSmart and BeamBerry).

Treo Pros

Lots of memory; can run apps from card.

Touchscreen - I just like it (and miss it).

Rich variety of third party apps - I miss apps like datebk, Diabetes Pilot, Docs to Go (I know, it's coming some day), iSilo (worked much better on the Treo with the additional memory), Focus+, Depth of Field Calculator, etc.

Treo Cons

Instability - this was the deal breaker in the end. I replaced the hardware too often, reset the darn thing too often, worked to patch too many holes in the POS, etc.

Size - It's just too big, compared to the BB.

Conclusion

For now, I'll keep the BB. With a few tweaks, and more memory, the BB could be downright awesome. (Hear that, RIM?)

Kelly
    06-03-08 01:40 PM
    Treo 755 is way too big? Are you kidding me? The phones are pretty close even though the 755 is a bit thicker. Instability shouldn't be that much of a problem and at least it doesn't delete sms and email messages and logs off the phone without warning. You are correct that the BB COULD be awesome but it isn't. The lack of memory is a serious problem (I can barely get enough apps in without getting to the "danger zone"), lack of attachments downloading is absurd, lack of office reading/editing software including PDF with full resolution (Beamberry is a basic alternative for PDF), ability to launch apps off the SD card, far superior navigation such as a launcher, Today screen and better organizers, far more software for much less, an MP3 player and video player worth having (BB is terrible)... it's a big list.

What does my BB 8830 excel at? Good size (thin) and email is very good. Calendering has some good advantages, Pocket Day (with some tweaking and eye candy) would be nice, JiveTalk is the best chat client, period... but that's about it. If you just want email, great. But otherwise, it's really mediocre and the memory leak issue is killing me. Perhaps the 8830 with Sprint (curve) provides better results although the above still applies. Well... there is one more real superiority of the BB over the Treo - if you travel underground, unless you shut the Treo off it is worthless. The BB is more smart when the device is out of range.

What will the big key be? Just how much version 4.5 changes. If it adds a worth media player, true downloading of attachments, truly integrates Docs to Go properly... then we're talking about superb. Until then it's no contest and the Treo is still a far superior and more useful device. If you are good with your app management like I was I found very few troubles although there were a few annoyances.
    06-03-08 09:55 PM
    I've had a couple of treos myself.

700p (sprint)
    700wx (sprint)
    750 (at&t)

The IM style chat is pretty good, but I prefer the iPhone's.

Touchscreen/Keyboard was another positive as you could do both, but having to recalibrate every other day was the worst.

The 750 wasn't too big, but it was windows mobile! Enough said.

Another thing that was good was being able to save apps to the memory card. 3g is good, but it wasn't available at the time that I had my 750.

I still like my BB better, but memory is a big concern and needs to be addressed ASAP.

Overall, I'd pick the Blackberry over Palm any day of thwe week.
    06-03-08 10:23 PM
    The new 755 for Palm (if that is the model) is very good.
    06-03-08 11:09 PM
    Just changed from a Treo 650. It was very stable and I did appreciate the Documents to Go software. The one thing I was certain that I would not miss was the touch screen. I had a number of Palm devices before the Treo and always wished that the nav button would work properly so I would not need to drag out the stylus all the time. I'm still 80% on the BB (8820 from AT&T) but the trackball setup I definitely like better than the Treo interface. And if you want to talk about ancient OS's then Palm is the winner for oldest hands down. If Palm had released a really new OS and not just another reskin I would have considered another Treo. However to many co-workers have had many problems with the 680 and 7 series Treos running WM. I want stability over everything as my schedule is very loaded and I need a device that is rock stable. I hope BB will prove itself as good as I've heard for reliability.
    06-27-08 09:52 PM
    I had a Treo 650 and my husband has the Treo 680. My phone was so buggy and I didn't realize how bad it was until I got the Curve. I had a hard time adjusting to the trackball at first and missed the touchscreen but now I love the trackball and don't miss the touchscreen at all. My husband can't wait to get rid of his Treo. It's so horrible - it's always dead and no one can ever get in contact with him. Give it time - you'll love it!!!
    06-27-08 11:15 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD