Oh, dear. He's really upset. Typo in the title....
    06-28-13 03:49 PM
    I don't think we need this PlayBook forum, officially it's dead, merge this forum with Web Os. And rename to dead OS forum.

BETRAYED AGAIN by RIM f@ BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 03:50 PM
    I think people are over reacting to the news. I'd only be concerned if Q10 sales disappoint, which is i don't think it will. Expecting Z10 to out compete Apple is unrealistic.
    06-28-13 03:51 PM
    BB's management is incompetent, plain and simple.
    solitude1984 likes this.
    06-28-13 03:53 PM
    First off, the PlayBook "lie" is not as bad as people are making it. I have 5 PlayBooks and was waiting for the upgrade as much as anyone. Having said that, it is a 2 year old tablet already, I've had most of mine for 18 months already. In the world of tech, that's a decent length of time. They do more than they did a year and a half ago, although the pace of improvement has dropped off completely. For the price paid (all at discounts, $200 or less) it has been a good tablet and will continue to do the job.

I find I use my Q10 for more than the PlayBook now, but it still serves its purpose, and I usually pick it up and use it a bit daily. Disappointed yes, but realistically putting a new OS on a 2 year old tablet was a long shot.

They put themselves in a catch-22 by announcing it though. They could have released it and had a buggy, sub-par performing OS on the PB, or they could have pulled it when they realized it wasn't going to work. They chose the latter and are getting a lot of criticism for it. If they released a sub-par OS, they'd hear it too, about how they're the "old" BlackBerry again.

As for the stock, I think it will recover a bit. I did freak out a bit and ended up selling this morning, but only because my personal circumstances have changed and it is no longer "play" money, but money I absolutely need. I unfortunately don't have time to wait for a recovery or the stomach to handle anymore volatility. I was greedy in not selling yesterday, expecting good results, but getting the complete opposite. When I saw it was in the $8 range, I had to sell (near today's close fortunately). BB stock is very volatile I found over the 8 months or so I owned it and with these uncertain results, I can't handle that for personal reasons anymore.

Is this the end for BlackBerry? I don't know for sure, but it is a lot bleaker today than it was yesterday. Hopefully Q2's results are good and people can make money again on BB.

If I knew I could be long in it, I would have been buying instead of selling because the company is worth more than its market cap and will continue to grow, albeit slowly for a while yet.
    The problem though is how many of the 100,000 Playbooks that were sold in the most recent quarter were sold on the basis of BBRY's CEO's comment that OS10 would be made available to the Playbook? I long ago gave up on Playbook since iPad and a cheap Lenovo Android 7" tablet was far more useful for my purposes. I also bought my 2 Playbooks when they first launched before OS10 was even out. What about more recent Playbook buyers? Companies -- especially those already suffering a major credibility problem like BBRY -- can't simply make commitments and drop them quarter in, quarter out.
    06-28-13 03:53 PM
    I still love my Z10 and PlayBook, since I'm in here. Now, to unsubscribe from this thread....
    06-28-13 03:54 PM
    BlackBerry hasn't even launched the Q10 in all markets and just now started launching the Q5. Plus, cash is still at over $3 billion.

I think they need to rethink their marketing big time. The TV ads, although better than the old ones, just suck at convincing people they should buy a BB10 device. They need to show the Time Shift much better in the ads. Show the keyboard much better. Show remote file access. Show those things and show them clearly. Instead, they show me a guy sliding on a field and down a fire pole.
    What they really need to do is get the main 15-20 apps that folks want. eg. Instagram, Netflix.. etc. Not ports but native apps. That is what people want and BB is not giving it to them. Forget the excuses. If you throw enough money at it, these apps will come.

Also, I don't want to hear about side loading, etc, because the average user on the street will not do that. These apps should be native.

And where is there internal team working to get these apps. Where are they?

Until these mainstream apps come out in a native format BB is heading down hill and fast.
    Creaulx and dlrogers81 like this.
    06-28-13 03:59 PM
    With today's news do you think BlackBerry will survive?

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 04:01 PM
    No. And neither will this thread in 3...2...1..
    06-28-13 04:03 PM
    Sure (sarcasm). The company is still profitable and has potential for growth.
    If the new meaning of "profitable" is "80 million $ loss" then yes, they're still profitable. And even WebOS has potential for growth.
    06-28-13 04:15 PM
    If the new meaning of "profitable" is "80 million $ loss" then yes, they're still profitable. And even WebOS has potential for growth.
    I meant viable and I have changed my original post to reflect that
    06-28-13 04:20 PM
    It's called incompetence. Incompetence trickles down from the top. If it's already infected the bottom tier, it uproots an entire organization. Change never happens. You've got the wrong people with misaligned intentions in place.
    I would agree that incompetence certainly can cause the death of individuals/organizations, but I don't see BlackBerry as incompetent. Yes, they've made bad decisions (I would argue they've hugely failed to understand the importance of massive advertising in the US) but it takes a special breed of folk to rise to the level of incompetence.
    06-28-13 04:23 PM
    I think someone else should handle the presentations. Heins lacks energy/excitement and swagger.
    That and he is as convincing as a used car salesman. Brilliant man, awful presentation skills.
    Creaulx likes this.
    06-28-13 04:23 PM
    BlackBerry is their own worst enemy, time and time again. Communication within the ranks of their company does not seem to be very good. Either someone told Thor that BB10 could be done on Playbook or he said it because it was the strategy and no one updated him on the progress. Plus, just last month those official foreign BlackBerry Twitter accounts deleted tweets that said that BB10 was coming to the Playbook. Where is the strategy? I did buy a Playbook in January with one of the reasons was that I was hoping BB10 might come to it. I used it for a month and it just wasn't for me so I returned it. I feel bad for anyone who bought one just for BB10 or paid mega bucks for it at launch.

2.7 million BB10 phones shipped in three months is just awful. 900,000 a month shipped so you have to think actual sales are probably lower. So only a few hundred thousand BB10 owners in the USA? This will not help missing app developers bring their apps to BB10.

If the company has to rely on the Q5 to help its sales and standings, then they are trouble. I think there will be an uptick in BB10 shipments next quarter, to capture businesses and pent up demand for Q10 and Q5. But what about after that? So the A10 is rumored to arrive this holiday season. What will it do different (in the public's eye, we here on CB already know this) then the Galaxy S4 or the next iPhone? Because BB's marketing is terrible, very few in the public will know. Plus, the USA carriers probably won't get around to releasing the A10 until January or February at this rate.

Thor said that in five years, tablets as we know them will be different. Sadly, I think that will be the case for BlackBerry as well.

I have seen only a few "Keep Moving" commercials on TV and you only see the Z10 at the very end and they tell you to go to BB's website for more information. Do you think the average person seeing this, proably having an iPhone or Android, will then pull up the BB10 website and want to switch especially when most people are under contracts and don't want to pay an ETF? How about if they find out BBM is coming to their iPhone or Android? Plus seeing news stories about their 1Q results and stock plummet will not make people switch. In the technology sector, sometimes the most technically superior product does not win. Look at Betamax vs. VHS or HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. The market decides who wins and it looks like BB will have to settle for the bronze.
    Last edited by bmantz65; 06-28-13 at 05:06 PM.
    06-28-13 04:35 PM
    I still love my Z10 and PlayBook.
    And for the record I love my Q10 and I love my Playbook. Just as separate entities. Together they can't do what my 9900 and Playbook used to. Hey, they sold us 'keep moving', they just never said in what direction.

Still I suppose that's 'progress' these days
    06-28-13 04:38 PM
    I will stay away from the forums for a while. There's really no need for me to look at a bunch of whiny nerds that think their phones will explode or will stop working because of a company's quarterly results.
    To be honest, my Z10 works perfectly for me and unless you invested in RIM when the shares were 80 bucks and you have a huge loss, better go and play candy crush saga with you iPhone.

See ya in a couple of months.

Posted via CB10
    brout likes this.
    06-28-13 04:38 PM
    BlackBerry hasn't even launched the Q10 in all markets and just now started launching the Q5. Plus, cash is still at over $3 billion.

I think they need to rethink their marketing big time. The TV ads, although better than the old ones, just suck at convincing people they should buy a BB10 device. They need to show the Time Shift much better in the ads. Show the keyboard much better. Show remote file access. Show those things and show them clearly. Instead, they show me a guy sliding on a field and down a fire pole.
    I agree that the advertising has to change. But the products also need more compelling unique value propositions. While the Hub and Peek & Flow appeal to me, they're not compelling enough for most users to switch or to accept the "app gap." Time Shift is cool and could be featured more effectively, but it's not enough to compete in the camera arms race--especially when the optics and image processing are middle-of-the-road. I agree that the virtual Z10 keyboard and Q10 keyboard could be played up more and will appeal strongly to those who miss physical typing, but they're probably not compelling enough for most smartphone users, who already have embraced virtual keyboards. Remote File Access, while really cool, caters more to professional types and is probably too "geeky" for average users--and might be seen as passe given all the emphasis on cloud services.

If BlackBerry wants to win over mainstream users, then its products need one or two killer features that ads can revolve around...just like the Galaxy Note had both the screen size and stylus (which was never quite a killer feature, in my opinion, but was unique and could be marketed easily). It needs a feature or two that make people pause and actually consider giving up Instagram, Netflix or whatever their deal-breaker app is in order to have that feature. Then, if/when the app gap starts closing, these features will help BlackBerry stand out even more.
    06-28-13 04:39 PM
    Real marketing? Like what? I'm seeing BlackBerry ads EVERYWHERE. While I agree we aren't seeing the results we want, I'm having a hard time thinking what else BlackBerry could be doing on the marketing front.

As for Thorsten, I see what he's saying about the long-term play. Given, that's the same line BlackBerry has been spouting since the PlayBook launch, I think it still holds true to an extent. Platforms are things that have to gain momentum over time; they don't just automatically have it right out of the gate.
    I don't know where you are seeing all these ads. They're surely are NOT in NYC.
    06-28-13 05:01 PM
    The real deal is Thorsten Heins word.
    He failed to deliver so you can now apply his word to all future Blackberry products.
    One can only hope the next CEO is perfect, never makes any mistakes or needs to refine. Perhaps you should apply?
    06-28-13 05:29 PM
    The loss sucks, but for a company doing $3 billion a quarter, an $80 million loss is "at or near breakeven", per their previous guidance. Agree that it shouldn't continue, but that $80 million (loss) didn't really make me bat an eye. The BlackBerry 10 sales being less than 3 million however ...
    06-28-13 05:31 PM
    That and he is as convincing as a used car salesman. Brilliant man, awful presentation skills.
    I agree.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    06-28-13 05:44 PM
    06-28-13 05:53 PM
    I've seen so many posters that haven't been around here for months and only show up today for the negative bashing. F'ing typical.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-28-13 05:53 PM
    I don't know where you are seeing all these ads. They're surely are NOT in NYC.
    Again he's probably referring to Canada.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-28-13 05:54 PM
    If they cannot get the contacts merging and linking system fixed, they are hosed. It's fundamental.

Posted via CB - AT&T Z10 * 10.0.10.116 * STL100-3
    06-28-13 05:59 PM
479 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD