So I have had the first gen iphone since it came out. Spent way to much money on it and now am tired of it. I have been reading for the last 6 months about blackberrys and such. Mainly the Bold and Javelin. I am buying one or the other used unlocked currently and can't find out if my $20 data plan will just work or if I will have to fight with ATT about changing it. It sounds like I will be forced to change to the $30 data + $5=200 SMS. Does anyone know what will happen?
    05-06-09 07:52 PM
    Not sure about the prices of their data plans, but you will have to have atleast a BIS blackberry data plan for internet and email. It is not like a standard data plan. I dont know if AT&T has a plan like Tmobile does where you can get email but no internet. Sure someone else will be able to help your more with that.Hope this helps. Welcome to CB.
    05-06-09 07:57 PM
    Thanks for the welcome, I have been spending a ton of time on this site the past few months.

In regards to your response I am trying to maintain the unlimited data and 200text but have been hearing the ATT might make me switch to the $35 dollar plan. I hope there is a way out of it.
    05-06-09 08:17 PM
    You can't use the iPhone data plan or any other phones data plan for that matter. It has to be a special BB plan; either BIS or BES because it has to communicate with the RIM server.On the other hand, you can use any other smartphone with the BB data plan.
    05-06-09 08:26 PM
    Yea, your going to be paying the 35 bucks then. You have to have a blackberry data plan or it simply wont work. Sorry.
    05-06-09 08:32 PM
    boooooo, I guess I better just go and get the bold and renew the contract. I was trying to get a used one out of contract and not have to upgrade data plan. Thanks for the help.

Any opinion on just switching carriers for cost? I always hear ATT is more expensive but see all similiar data plans around 35 and up.
    05-06-09 10:54 PM
    I personally like ATT so I wouldn't switch. I have a feeling that most companies data plans are around the same price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-09 11:25 PM
    With AT&T for the unlimited data for the bb or any pda phone it is $30. $5=200sms, $15=1500sms and $20=unlimited sms. The $20 unlimited data plan for the iphone has been phased out I believe because now it is $30 for the unlimted data on the iphone. You probably won't see to much of a difference on your bill. Plus you will be so much happier with a bb anyway.
    05-06-09 11:30 PM
    Verizon's data plan is $29.99 last time I checked. It could have gone up since then. You can check into it to be sure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-09 11:31 PM
    No Verizon....crazy Verizon people. Just playin, I was just looking at how cheap you can get an 8900 with new T-mobile contract but then the overall bill is higher still than my current ATT bill so I think the Bold is coming home tomorrow. I'll just get my wife the 8900 or whatever when it hits ATT and trade on and off.
    05-06-09 11:36 PM
    T-Mobile has BB data for $25 with 400 texts.
    05-07-09 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD