The French package often gets confused but overall it still is a great feature

Posted via CB 10 from rockin' Z30
    02-28-15 04:36 PM
    Well I for one would like to know how to turn off out of the assistant's settings. While driving in my car and connected to Bluetooth I press the call button on my hands free, "call mark Smith mobile" is said after the prompt. Then I hear, "who would you like to call?" I reply "Mark Smith mobile" it replies " would you like to call mark smith mobile, the number is 1 250..........." holy frigging frack I could have pulled over and dialed with straw in my mouth by now. Just dial the bloody number already.
    Why is it the voice dialing software on my old Storm had no problem with just dialing when it was told to do so? Hell my old Motorola flip phone from 2004 had no problem doing it. Why would you over complicate a menu like that?
    That actually sounds okay... except reading out the digits for the phone number.

The first time it didn't recognize the contact. So it asked.

Asking before placing the call, in case recognition is wrong maybe should be an option... for those without accents, always use it in quiet surroundings, and have small address books with names that are phonetically dissimilar enough so the contact recognition is always right.

:-/

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 04:45 PM
    You probably have a contact entry for your wife.

Edit it, add a nickname field, fill it with wife, save. Merge that with her BBM entry.

If Assistant isn't working AT ALL with BlackBerry, this probably won't solve the issue.
    anon3969612 likes this.
    02-28-15 08:17 PM
    Chuckle... OK:

Create a contact. Call it (first name) my wife. No other information needed.
    Link it to your wife's contact

Just for giggles, create another contact. Call it (first name) my best friend
    Link it to your best friend's contact

Now, with assistant:

Assistant still needs some work-img_20150228_185301.jpg

and you get:

Assistant still needs some work-wife.jpg

And again:

Assistant still needs some work-img_20150228_214421.jpg

and you get:

Assistant still needs some work-friend.jpg

OK, my wife is my best friend... lol. However, this works just fine however you want to configure it.

And it takes about the same amount of time to set up as explaining to a digital assistant who these people are when it asks.
    Toodeurep and connorsayshi like this.
    02-28-15 11:00 PM
    one way of doing it^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    02-28-15 11:09 PM
    Ok....As someone suggested, I asked if she was better than Siri. Her response...
    Assistant still needs some work-img_20150301_000728.png

Posted via CB10
    Toodeurep and Prem WatsApp like this.
    03-01-15 12:08 AM
    I don't yse the name field, I add an extra nickname field. Also don't use "my" lol. And of the go: BBM wife put the blue dress on. BBM mom meet us at Peter's. BBM dad you're buying dinner.

Too bad those are just examples, none of the people mentioned speak English so I can't really use Assistant.

But it works. At least for you guys.
    03-01-15 08:46 AM
    I don't want or need an assistant that is dumber than the last one I had, the previous version of voice dial worked ok (still not as good as it did what, 7 years ago?). Why would you make it more difficult to perform tasks? The whole idea behind voice dial, voice notes etc, is that it is supposed to be a shortcut, and something you can do while driving. This current version is going to get someone killed on the highway as they will either suffer a road rage incident or out of frustration at the multi level menu response, glance at their screen repeatedly and drive into a school bus or something. This is a perfect example of failure.
    03-02-15 02:08 AM
    All voice assistants are gimmicks pretty much they all lack big time. First of all they are not confident enough, just by asking you are you sure or making you double check what they transcribed makes no sense or having to ask you for the type of phone number every time you say call or text because they are not intelligent enough the recognize what type of phone number is your contact's primary phone number (but then again BB10 still doesn't even have this feature two years after)

When you say "Call John" assistants should not ask you back which John to call and then ask you again which phone number under John Williams contact. It should now right away that John Williams is the most frequently interacted John out of all your contacts and it should now the number you use the most.

But another feature that lacks on ALL voice assistants is the follow up to a command and that is the sole reason I don't use them. For example: What is the weather like? - Its 79 and sunny. What would it be like tomorrow? (without having to press the button again) - .....
    As you can see its impossible. Better example would be something like this: Read the last message from John Williams - assistant reads it and then you follow up - now reply John - ... nothing happens

Assistants are not interactive in order to be assistants
    03-02-15 04:31 AM
    After updating BBM today the assistant still doesn't work. Just asks if I want to set up BBM.

This is a fresh install done by a leak, not an OTA install. Nothing was restored using link.

I'm just too lazy to re-do this leak so I guess I'll wait for 2444 to be dropped and try again.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA John Legere, CEO - Research In Motion
    03-02-15 09:44 PM
    No way to ininstall BBM from the Chrome app. And I'm not sure what the assistant program is, I didn't see anything that looked like it.

I have no idea why it keeps asking me to set bbm up, it works.

I think Chen is messing with my pin because I wish Legere was CEO.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA John Legere, CEO - Research In Motion
    03-02-15 09:56 PM
    All voice assistants are gimmicks pretty much they all lack big time. First of all they are not confident enough, just by asking you are you sure or making you double check what they transcribed makes no sense or having to ask you for the type of phone number every time you say call or text because they are not intelligent enough the recognize what type of phone number is your contact's primary phone number (but then again BB10 still doesn't even have this feature two years after)

When you say "Call John" assistants should not ask you back which John to call and then ask you again which phone number under John Williams contact. It should now right away that John Williams is the most frequently interacted John out of all your contacts and it should now the number you use the most.

But another feature that lacks on ALL voice assistants is the follow up to a command and that is the sole reason I don't use them. For example: What is the weather like? - Its 79 and sunny. What would it be like tomorrow? (without having to press the button again) - .....
    As you can see its impossible. Better example would be something like this: Read the last message from John Williams - assistant reads it and then you follow up - now reply John - ... nothing happens

Assistants are not interactive in order to be assistants
    Actually... the assistant _will_ reply to the email.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 11:23 PM
    I haven't done a thorough test of the Assistant. Seems better than before.

Then again, when I was with a friend using SIRI trying to calculate directions to Miami from Orlando, it just wouldn't work so right then and there, I lost hope in any type of assistant. :P

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 05:13 PM
    We have just returned from a trip to Florida and Assistant was INVALUABLE with turn-by-turn directions. It was the best GPS type experience I've had since my first Tom-Tom!

Seriously we would have been totally lost several times had Assistant not been used! It was fast and responded quickly when we forced it to recalculate the route.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    Just Me likes this.
    03-04-15 07:02 PM
    Wantta add my 2 cents. BB Assistant on the Q10 is annoying. First off, when activated from a blue tooth ear bud the volume is max loud regardless of what volume I have the phone or earbud set on. Second when I say call "wife's name" mobile, it asks "do you want to call wife's name on mobile now? That would be enough but no, now I have to then listen to the damn thing say "the mobile number is (XXX) XXX-XXXX, then I finally get the ping where I can prompt the GD thing by saying "call". Why is this becoming so cumbersome. Give me an option to just say "call wife's mobile and have it run the script! If any of you know how to simplify this process, please please enlighten me.
    03-04-15 11:29 PM
    Posted my rant before I came back to yours. I concur 100% What a POS. I hope someone from BB reads this crap 'cause this overly cautious "assistant is anything but. Give us the option to opt out of the "do you want..." crap. yes I'm mad about being treated like a child.
    03-04-15 11:35 PM
    It does work my Classic...

Maybe reload the software..

By the way I tried that with Cortana...me: send a txt to my wife.
    Cortana: What is your wife's name
    me: Lorraine
    Cortana: Alright, I'll remember that next time..
    so I closed the phone. Restarted Cortana and I said: text to my wife......She pulled out the right person..........sweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt....Lol
    That's neat. BlackBerry Assistant currently doesn't do this. Too bad.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    03-05-15 12:15 AM
    How do I get *** to set up bbm

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA
    03-05-15 12:38 AM
    Funny... I use it every day and it works flawlessly

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 01:05 AM
    How do I get *** to set up bbm

Have you tried?

Settings -> App Manager -> Default Apps -> Reset Defaults
    03-05-15 03:18 AM
    Have you tried?

Settings -> App Manager -> Default Apps -> Reset Defaults
    No, I didn't. Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work. But I appreciate it anyway.

If I wasn't lazy I'd just use the 2267 autoloader. Or if I actually used assistant to bbm my wife I would. As it is now it's just a mystery.

I'll wait for a nice leak to autoload and see what happens.

03-06-15 07:14 AM
    OP, I knew what you meant and I don't think there's an honest or sane person on the board who doesn't agree that it needs work. After all, the service is still in its infancy. Anyway, you'll find folks here who are genuinely helpful, but you'll also find lots who are highly defensive to any criticism. Little people unfortunately. Constructive criticism is what the company needs (and what it needs to listen to) after years of burying its head in the sand.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 10:17 PM
    No, I didn't. Thanks for the suggestion. It didn't work. But I appreciate it anyway.

If I wasn't lazy I'd just use the 2267 autoloader. Or if I actually used assistant to bbm my wife I would. As it is now it's just a mystery.

I'll wait for a nice leak to autoload and see what happens.

03-08-15 11:26 PM
    clean install then
    03-08-15 11:29 PM
    Burnt my toast this morning. My toaster is a piece of *rap! I need an Apple toaster.

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs27/f/20...trancetime.jpg

 Z10
    hpjrt and bigbadben10 like this.
    03-09-15 03:41 AM
127 ... 3456