it is not the point>>>Lol...I did replicate what the OP said to his assistant..

It does not work by saying call, txt,email, etc using the word "Wife"....I just did it with Cortana for testing...and It worked

So Cortana way more advance than Blackberry assistant is.
    Not sure I'd say "way more advanced" but certainly someone thought to add a line of code that asks for a name to be assigned to "wife".
    02-27-15 06:58 PM
    OP:

Under Settings->BlackBerry Assistant, do you have:

1. Full Assistance enabled?
    2. In Device Search Settings, BBM is enabled?
    Elite1 and eyesopen1111 like this.
    02-27-15 07:01 PM
    Not sure I'd say "way more advanced" but certainly someone thought to add a line of code that asks for a name to be assigned to "wife".
    To me, I'm not a coder so if that is what it takes then it should not be hard for Blackberry to do it..
    02-27-15 07:03 PM
    OK I press set up BBM, BBM opens. Doesn't do anything just opens. If I try to use assistant to BBM even after its opened it shows me the same setup screen.

As far as linking it to BBM, I'm not sure how to do that. It was never necessary to set it up with assistant before.

Version number is 10.6.5.10.

App permissions seem to be in order.

I'm wondering if I hook it up to the computer if I can delete BBM and then reinstall? It's not possible to delete it like it used to be. Haven't tried it with Chrome.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA John Legere, CEO - Research In Motion
    02-27-15 07:06 PM
    OP:

Under Settings->BlackBerry Assistant, do you have:

1. Full Assistance enabled?
    2. In Device Search Settings, BBM is enabled?
    Yep, both of those settings are correct. Thanks!

Elite1 likes this.
    02-27-15 07:08 PM
    BTW, when I message, I do use my wife's name. But after this post I think it would be cool to be able to label contacts with relationships.

Like call the kids. Or call grandma. Or call the old ball and chain.

gebco likes this.
    02-27-15 07:09 PM
    To me, I'm not a coder so if that is what it takes then it should not be hard for Blackberry to do it..
    Lol. Yes, I'm sure it's on the list right after...
    - automatic bedside mode like in 9900
    - popup can light the screen like in 9900
    - vibe, then ring like in 9900
    - icons can change based on wx conditions...like in 9900
    - holster profiles....like in 9900
    - automatically open recent message and display it when removing from holster....like in 9900
    They should get to it any day now.
    02-27-15 07:16 PM
    BTW, when I message, I do use my wife's name. But after this post I think it would be cool to be able to label contacts with relationships.

Like call the kids. Or call grandma. Or call the old ball and chain.

Now that would be interesting. You say "call Julie" in front of your wife and it says "Would you like me to call your girlfriend?"
    Doggerz and gebco like this.
    02-27-15 07:18 PM
    Lol. Yes, I'm sure it's on the list right after...
    - automatic bedside mode like in 9900>>>>>yep, would be nice
    - popup can light the screen like in 9900
    - vibe, then ring like in 9900
    - icons can change based on wx conditions...like in 9900
    - holster profiles....like in 9900
    - automatically open recent message and display it when removing from holster....like in 9900
    >>>>>> yep, that too.

They should get to it any day now.
    >>>>>>after 2 years....not done yet....damn
    02-27-15 07:32 PM
    LOL...I just asked Assistant her favorite color and she said, "Black, of course. "

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    02-27-15 07:53 PM
    She also said she was born on September 24, 2014....haha this is fun.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 07:54 PM
    Now that would be interesting. You say "call Julie" in front of your wife and it says "Would you like me to call your girlfriend?"
    Well if you're cheating on your wife, that would be a personal problem. Not a software one.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    TheQuietRioter, Elite1 and Just Me like this.
    02-27-15 07:55 PM
    LOL...I just asked Assistant her favorite color and she said, "Black, of course. "

Posted via CB10
    you should have asked her/him if she/he was better than Cortana...
    gebco and TheQuietRioter like this.
    02-27-15 09:52 PM
    you should have asked her/him if she/he was better than Cortana...
    Works with ''Are you better than Siri?'' too
    02-27-15 11:18 PM
    Just tried that on my passport works fine

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 11:25 PM
    OK I press set up BBM, BBM opens. Doesn't do anything just opens. If I try to use assistant to BBM even after its opened it shows me the same setup screen.

As far as linking it to BBM, I'm not sure how to do that. It was never necessary to set it up with assistant before.

Version number is 10.6.5.10.

App permissions seem to be in order.

I'm wondering if I hook it up to the computer if I can delete BBM and then reinstall? It's not possible to delete it like it used to be. Haven't tried it with Chrome.

Are you in BBM beta program? If so, you can install that and it will force BBM setup again, but you will lose your previous chats. At least that has been my experience when doing it through the Beta app and the disclaimer with the installer says so. That might be easier route than deleting and give you a newer version.
    02-28-15 01:11 AM
    Yeah the assistant needs more work and a personality. Tried using it in a quiet space and it was not very useful. Too much repeating what I said, just frustrating to use. It is a bit ********, looking forward to improvements.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 01:44 AM
    Assistant definitely needs some work. Responsiveness and comprehension are key, both of which the Assistant does not have in comparison to pretty much any of the three competitors. Might also have to do with the fact that it can�t rely on the cloud. They also need to change the voices, the British voice is so cringe-worthy; excessively loud, robotic, weird intonations.
    02-28-15 04:08 AM
    Yeah the assistant needs more work and a personality. Tried using it in a quiet space and it was not very useful. Too much repeating what I said, just frustrating to use. It is a bit ********, looking forward to improvements.

Posted via CB10
    You can turn that off and even switch it to bluetooth devices only. Just tested it out and it worked great! I am glad I read your complaint, it made me look into it and it was right there for all who look to see.
    02-28-15 06:26 AM
    Assistant definitely needs some work. Responsiveness and comprehension are key, both of which the Assistant does not have in comparison to pretty much any of the three competitors. Might also have to do with the fact that it can�t rely on the cloud. They also need to change the voices, the British voice is so cringe-worthy; excessively loud, robotic, weird intonations.
    It does rely on 'the cloud'. If by the cloud you mean internet databases such as Wolfram Alpha and search engines.

It's just such a novelty feature and they really don't have many resources to devote to it considering the rest of the work 10.3.1 required. Not exactly sure why they even tried. Perhaps their moronic focus groups (which I'm sure are rigged by competitors to sabotage BlackBerry--> thank them for the Calendar) insisted that a virtual voice assistant was "a must have" feature.

The only thing I've ever trusted it with is to "wake me up in 30 minutes" during seldom taken afternoon naps. Unfortunately it's not smart enough to temporarily hold any calls while I nap. Lol

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 06:37 AM
    It does rely on 'the cloud'. If by the cloud you mean internet databases such as Wolfram Alpha and search engines.
    No, I meant the actual processing of speech. Google Voice, Cortana and Siri all use a server backend to process the information and find speech patterns. That’s why these don’t work (as good) without Internet access and why they are significantly faster in response and lightweight in space and energy consumption. BlackBerry specifically advertised the Assistant as a secure and cloud-free alternative, which is why it’s the only voice assistant that has access to corporate data.

The only thing I've ever trusted it with is to "wake me up in 30 minutes" during seldom taken afternoon naps. Unfortunately it's not smart enough to temporarily hold any calls while I nap. Lol
    Can’t you set it to a silent profile? Haven’t tested it yet.
    02-28-15 07:19 AM
    No, I meant the actual processing of speech. Google Voice, Cortana and Siri all use a server backend to process the information and find speech patterns. That�s why these don�t work (as good) without Internet access and why they are significantly faster in response and lightweight in space and energy consumption. BlackBerry specifically advertised the Assistant as a secure and cloud-free alternative, which is why it�s the only voice assistant that has access to corporate data.

Can�t you set it to a silent profile? Haven�t tested it yet.
    I'm not entirely sure, but the Nuance recognition engine does actually use server side processing.

Edit: yup, it sure does.

Switched on airplane mode and:

Attachment 337654

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 07:36 AM
    The assistant is still pretty dumb to be honest. Ask exact same questions to SIRI and SIRI gives reasonable answers while assistant says: "do you want to search the internet for....." Assistant in my eyes needs a lot of work to be on the same caliber as SIRI
    02-28-15 07:43 AM
    I'm not entirely sure, but the Nuance recognition engine does actually use server side processing.

Edit: yup, it sure does.

Switched on airplane mode and:

Attachment 337654

Posted via CB10
    Well, then I suppose it really is bad programming.
    02-28-15 07:44 AM
    The assistant is still pretty dumb to be honest. Ask exact same questions to SIRI and SIRI gives reasonable answers while assistant says: "do you want to search the internet for....." Assistant in my eyes needs a lot of work to be on the same caliber as SIRI
    Yea, BB Assistant was basically last to the game, tied with Cortana, but she has the mega-billions of MS behind her. Siri has been in the works since about 2007 or so (when the Siri lady recorded her voice) so Apple had a HUGE head start. Can't give BB too much grief for playing catch up, with so limited resources, in so limited a time (after BB10).
    02-28-15 08:24 AM
127 12345 ...