He clearly has a BBM issue. Otherwise, assistant would say it couldn't find wife or offer a similar contact name.

Perhaps it's permissions related, or beta bbm related.

We'll know more once he tries with wife name.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    02-27-15 02:08 PM
    Assistant is great too in adding a new event in calendar. Sometimes I need to add one in and cannot type, so it has come in handy.

Posted via Classic
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    02-27-15 02:22 PM
    I have been using BB assistant ever since I installed a 10.3 leak on my Z30. It blew me away the first time I tried it! Especially when compared to what we had before. Lol. Now with my Passport have had 0 problems with it.

Loving my Passport!
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    02-27-15 02:34 PM
    I asked my assistant to tell me a joke and she said, "I've been told I'm really not that funny. Ha Ha Ha Ha"

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:44 PM
    I had been using a leak and the blackberry assistance couldn't even find the apps on my phone, I got the official os update last night, then today see this post complaining that the assistance doesn't work worth a crap so I gave my a try. it was nice to find that it's working great with the official os update.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-15 02:55 PM
    OP- trying asking the assistant to BBM your girlfriend instead of your wife and see what happens. Could be interesting.
    02-27-15 03:09 PM
    works great for me. hands free in the car i've sent bbms, texts, made calls. read items in my inbox.

kinda blown away that it actually works. is cortana that much better? if it is, i want her to be on blackberry
    02-27-15 03:11 PM
    When I see post like this, I first go and re-create the situation. I have a Z30, on leak. 2267. I am in a Ford Fusion, Bluetooth connection with Ford sync. Picked up phone, went to assistant, said send BBM to my wife by her first name, no problem, worked perfectly. Therefore it is a pile of crap for you only, fix your phone, don't act like it's some system wide OS bug, smh.
    02-27-15 03:38 PM
    Works great from me. A little slow and laggy but that will improve with time. Assistant is a success.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, the biggest problem with Assistant is the lag between the command and the action. I run it in my service truck on the road to read and reply to texts & e-mails, find destinations and call people through the bluetooth handsfree. Fairly slow to respond on my Z10... much quicker on the Passport since the recent round of updates... still needs to be faster on the responses.

And no, it doesn't BBM 'wife' but I frequently send them to her with her contact name, works great. Also, I don't refer to her as 'wife' at home when we're talking either
    02-27-15 03:55 PM
    So, what sort of improvments might we wish for? I'll go first, by listing some of the more obvious ones:

• A more natural (...and in some cases: less aggressive :P) voice.
    • Listening while speaking, so that one can pre-empt or interrupt the assistant's questions, recitations, etc -- I keep patiently waiting for it to finish talking, but forget to wait through the subsequent 'not-so-little pause plus start-of-recording sound', and have given most of my command/response/follow-up, by the time the microphone goes active. (switching off voice interaction is a poor workaround)
    • On-device recognition of at least a few key words, such as "cancel", "edit", "yes", "no", "stop", "resume", "please", and so on, to cut down on waiting times. (Possibly this could include an optional always-listening activation phrase, but those seem more a nuisance than useful, to those who have them.)
      Some devices are apparently using very energy-efficient dedicated co-processors for the purpose.
      (Might also help the device better determine when you are done speaking, because currently, when receiving voice commands, it tends to linger a little too long, while when taking dication, it will wrap up mid-sentence, just because you decided to take half a breath. The latter might benefit from a command that lets you tell it you're finished.)
    • More languages, naturally... Even trying to (to some general amusement) anglify pronounciation of words in a non-supported language, such as things as ubiquitous and "necessary for the purposes of the device", as names out of my address book, and of local places, is a hopeless errand, because they are not present in the parser's databases and tend to come out of it with some quite hilarious substitutions. :7
      Market sizes are not likely to suffice to support more than the big-uns, though... Even Siri is only now adding a few. :7 (EDIT: Mind you; My Z30 does take pretty damn good dictation in Swedish (only available using keyboard activation - if taking a note through the assistant, the assistant language is assumed), so if the dication and the assistant are done by the same operator, maybe more languages are not so far off...)

I have left out the biggie that comprise matters of the server side AI -- the rest of you are likely to have used the assistant more than I, and should consequently have experienced even more cases of unexpected responses.
    Last edited by jojon2se; 02-27-15 at 04:37 PM.
    02-27-15 04:16 PM
    works great for me. hands free in the car i've sent bbms, texts, made calls. read items in my inbox.

kinda blown away that it actually works. is cortana that much better? if it is, i want her to be on blackberry
    I think Cortana is better,,,,smoother and faster
    02-27-15 04:44 PM
    I think Cortana is better,,,,smoother and faster
    Seeing how Apple and Microsoft have way more billions of dollars it's not surprise. But they aren't that far off.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    02-27-15 05:07 PM
    Seeing how Apple and Microsoft have way more billions of dollars it's not surprise. But they aren't that far off.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it is even closed to Cortana
    Last edited by Elite1; 02-27-15 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Repaired broken quote
    anon8656116 likes this.
    02-27-15 05:13 PM
    Works great for me perhaps you should try using your wife's name instead of just asking it to BBM your wife.

Posted via CB10
    It shouldnt ask him to set up bbm if it can't identify the name said of "wife". It should ask what your wife's name is. Agree with OP its junk. When its crunch time and you need to do something quick it fails you. Same with camera, had a one chance opportunity for a picture the other day and sure enough "camera cannot be started"
    pblakeney and Doggerz like this.
    02-27-15 05:26 PM
    It shouldnt ask him to set up bbm if it can't identify the name said of "wife". It should ask what your wife's name is. Agree with OP its junk. When its crunch time and you need to do something quick it fails you. Same with camera, had a one chance opportunity for a picture the other day and sure enough "camera cannot be started"
    Maybe assistant doesn't know what the concept of a wife is andymore than if you said "call my kid".

You need more than one example to say that when it's crunch time it fails you. I'm sure camera's on other devices have been known to not start at critical moments too.
    02-27-15 05:50 PM
    No you guys don't understand, it doesn't think I have BBM. Not sure how to explain it better than the photo. I can ask for any name in the contact list and it won't work.

It will send SMS though.

Assistant still needs some work-img_20150227_083315.png

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA John Legere, CEO - Research In Motion
    02-27-15 06:26 PM
    There are too many good posts by you guys to respond to all of them. But I got some literal LOL moments. You guys make me out to be everything from a redneck to a jerk to a dumbass. I promise I'm not that stupid about BlackBerry and help others in the forums on a regular basis.

I guess it's just my problem.

To be fair the assistant does understand me far better than it ever did in previous versions. It's definitely improving.

Elite1 likes this.
    02-27-15 06:29 PM
    I'm gonna ask a crazy question here: Is your bbm setup?

And, if it is.....is your wife's entry "my wife"? (sorry couldn't resist).
    Doggerz and Just Me like this.
    02-27-15 06:38 PM
    It does work my Classic...

Maybe reload the software..

By the way I tried that with Cortana...me: send a txt to my wife.
    Cortana: What is your wife's name
    me: Lorraine
    Cortana: Alright, I'll remember that next time..
    so I closed the phone. Restarted Cortana and I said: text to my wife......She pulled out the right person..........sweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt....Lol
    02-27-15 06:41 PM
    No you guys don't understand, it doesn't think I have BBM. Not sure how to explain it better than the photo. I can ask for any name in the contact list and it won't work.

It will send SMS though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150227_083315.png 
Views:	301 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	337531

So what happens when you press "Set up BBM" ?

And I didn't see your BBM version mentioned in the thread unless I missed it.
    02-27-15 06:43 PM
    So what happens when you press "Set up BBM" ?

And I didn't see your BBM version mentioned in the thread unless I missed it.
    he said that his BBM is set up
    02-27-15 06:44 PM
    It does work my Classic...

Maybe reload the software..

By the way I tried that with Cortana...me: send a txt to my wife.
    Cortana: What is your wife's name
    me: Lorraine
    Cortana: Alright, I'll remember that next time..
    so I closed the phone. Restarted Cortana and I said: text to my wife......She pulled out the right person..........sweeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt....Lol
    Bro, if you need Cortona to remember your wife's name, you are in trouble.
    02-27-15 06:45 PM
    Bro, if you need Cortona to remember your wife's name, you are in trouble.
    it is not the point>>>Lol...I did replicate what the OP said to his assistant..

It does not work by saying call, txt,email, etc using the word "Wife"....I just did it with Cortana for testing...and It worked

So Cortana way more advance than Blackberry assistant is.
    02-27-15 06:51 PM
    he said that his BBM is set up
    Having BBM setup doesn't necessarily mean its linked with Assistant. I think most people would have clicked the button when presented with it and it likely just worked.

Whenever you install BBM beta, you have to re-open BBM before it will work again. It doesn't just work until app is opened. So perhaps this is just for Assistant to configure itself for BBM.

We also don't know if he's ever loaded a beta BBM before. Maybe not currently, but in the past.
    02-27-15 06:54 PM
    Having BBM setup doesn't necessarily mean its linked with Assistant. I think most people would have clicked the button when presented with it and it likely just worked.

Whenever you install BBM beta, you have to re-open BBM before it will work again. It doesn't just work until app is opened. So perhaps this is just for Assistant to configure itself for BBM.

We also don't know if he's ever loaded a beta BBM before. Maybe not currently, but in the past.
    that's right, we don't
    02-27-15 06:56 PM
127 1234 ...