Luckily my BB is provided by my employer, but I would have no idea what the appeal would be to average joe citizen. Does anyone browse the internet on a consistant basis on a 2" screen? I'm sure everyone will say, "all the time"....umm really? When I'm at work I use my computer, when I'm at home....my laptop. My question is....why is everyone so excited about this new browser when it'll still be on a microscopic screen? Yeah yeah I know....the Storm 2......but most employers don't issue that model.
    03-05-10 09:32 AM
    Wow.... um.... The browser is in last place... we are aware of that.. but when you consider Sport Scores from ScoreMobile, Facebook, Twitter, and ton of other 3rd party applications that you don't need the web for, saying BB's are useless is not a valid statement.

Smart phone aren't made for "browsing" or using while at home.... Kinda the reason T-Mobile allows for FREE tethering to Computers/Notebooks/Netbooks. so you can enjoy "The full experience" (insert that's what she said joke) of the web via your phone.

Smart phones are made for mobility : mobility = on the go.

try lugging your Desktop PC around and see how fun that is

try lugging your NoteBook/Netbook around waiting for it to power up, then catch a signal then go to the site....

or i can go to score mobile > MLB > Cincinnati Reds and i'm there.....

infact come Golf season i have to carry my BB when i go anywhere with my Father-In-Law every 5 mins he is asking me to check the PGA.

Screen doors on a Submarine... now that IS useless.
    Last edited by mjneid; 03-05-10 at 09:41 AM.
    03-05-10 09:38 AM
    Luckily my BB is provided by my employer, but I would have no idea what the appeal would be to average joe citizen. Does anyone browse the internet on a consistant basis on a 2" screen? I'm sure everyone will say, "all the time"....umm really? When I'm at work I use my computer, when I'm at home....my laptop. My question is....why is everyone so excited about this new browser when it'll still be on a microscopic screen? Yeah yeah I know....the Storm 2......but most employers don't issue that model.
    Well that's like, your opinion, man...

For some of us, browsing the internet on our BB isn't as high of a priority as it is to others. There is no doubt a drastic difference between browsing on your BB, and browing on a desktop, or laptop, but I don't find I have any problem navigating the internet with my BB, everything is scaled to fit the screen, I don't have any issues.

There is more to attract users than the fact you can browse the internet on a BB. I mean, you can browse the web on virtually ANY handset available these days, and that's not really one of the bigger selling points on the BB anyways. It's all what works best for the individual user.
    03-05-10 09:42 AM
    Well, last summer my then BB 8830 was used by three people to log onto web-email sites, check news and weather, look up accommodations while in Europe. The gps allowed me to log our hikes - distance and elevation. Oh, it was also a phone when necessary.
    03-05-10 09:54 AM
    I'll be honest, I felt the same way the OP does, but my opinion has changed recently. It's much easier to have 'net access when I'm asked a question, as opposed to having to find an available PC. Also, while I work, I'm streaming Slacker most of the day. I use BlackBerry Messenger constantly, although I can still use SMS, but BBM is much more convenient. I have GPS, MMS, and email. Not to mention, I can complete school work on my BB, and yes, I've done it, and it didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. It was much more convenient doing homework at a friend's house while playing XBOX, rather than having to drive 45 minutes home to find a PC to finish it.

Aside from the $30/month for the data package, I haven't found any negatives.
    03-05-10 10:01 AM
    I think the point people are making is we don't use it to do research on, it's for quick mobile browsing. Of course a PC or laptop are better for more intense stuff. Why not have them all?
    03-05-10 10:38 AM
    Dont see the point of this post to be honest.

Your trying to light a match for the fire in my opinion.

Your company pays for the contract not you. Dont see why you would moan.

To be fair you could be trying to browse the internet on this:

Some people can moan about anything lol.
    Last edited by BatterdStarfish; 03-05-10 at 10:54 AM.
    03-05-10 10:51 AM
    It's not a computer, it's a phone. It's designed to fit in your hand and for convenience.
    03-05-10 10:54 AM
    It's not a computer, it's a phone. It's designed to fit in your hand and for convenience.
    +2 for bringing logic to this discussion.

And I would like to add it can do more than email, the op might want to consider trying some apps and seeing what they can do. I would be lost without IM+.
    03-05-10 11:00 AM
    Agreed. And email isn't even all that great anymore. Of course people still hang their hat on the wonderful blackberry keyboard. But forget that crap. Plus I have push on my yahoo and gmail which is just as fast as blackberry with real html email and have access to all my folders. And guess what? There's an app where I can send, save, view attachments without a problem. iPhone email > blackberry email.

And I won't even go there on the browser and for anyone who thinks that browsing experience doesn't matter is kidding themselves. I wonder why RIM is going to upgrade their browser later this year. Hmmmmm I guess they don't think browsing should be good but they are still going to upgrade. Go figure.
    03-05-10 11:01 AM
    And I would like to add it can do more than email, the op might want to consider trying some apps and seeing what they can do. I would be lost without IM+.
    Agreed. Sounds like the OP has not fully explored the possibilities of his/her berry.
    03-05-10 11:03 AM

If you find the device so useless, why would you also have an 8520?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/stup...n-time-427998/
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-05-10 at 11:13 AM. Reason: adding thread link
    03-05-10 11:11 AM
    Besides, if you dislike the Berry browser, there are viable alternatives like Bolt, which can handle Flash and full HTML better. For social networking, of course there are the apps, so you don't even have to use the Web to use Facebook and MySpace.

I like the BlackBerry's media player best of the MP3 phones I've used. It handles playlists intelligently and even displays album art!
    03-05-10 12:31 PM
    Agreed. And email isn't even all that great anymore. Of course people still hang their hat on the wonderful blackberry keyboard. But forget that crap. Plus I have push on my yahoo and gmail which is just as fast as blackberry with real html email and have access to all my folders. And guess what? There's an app where I can send, save, view attachments without a problem. iPhone email > blackberry email.

And I won't even go there on the browser and for anyone who thinks that browsing experience doesn't matter is kidding themselves. I wonder why RIM is going to upgrade their browser later this year. Hmmmmm I guess they don't think browsing should be good but they are still going to upgrade. Go figure.
    The iPhone is only as good as the network it's on, 'nuff said.
    03-05-10 12:47 PM
    Why do you feel the need to always come around and advertise Iphone? Are they paying you for it? Or maybe you need to assure yourself of your decision to buy one? There wasn't even a mention of the Iphone till you decided to let everyone know how you feel..... Which personally means nothing to anyone in this thread.

03-05-10 12:48 PM
    Just imagine: 2am, your wife is asleep, you have to go to bed, can�t turn on the tv and it is obvious you can�t go to bed with a laptop or a netbook on your hand to read something so you can get some sleep. Blackberry + Viigo + Browser = Is there a more perfect way to read some articles and the news from the palm of your hand without bothering the anaconda sleeping right next to you ??? Story of my life
    03-05-10 01:06 PM
    What? Anyone can use their phone anywhere they want. Lots of people use their smartphones as computers when at home. Sometimes I just browse the web on my phone even while at home because it's still enjoyable.

I don't know about you but when I look into buying a smartphone, the first thing it must have is a suitable web browser because I don't wanna pay $30/month for internet I'll never use. I mean really, the main point of a smartphone is for web browsing. When I still had my Curve, friends would ask me why I didn't have a data plan on my BB as that was the point to having one. I simply told them that the web browser sucks. I regret having to pay $30 every month for my BB when the web browser was pretty much unusable for me even though it became better when I started using BOLT/Opera Mini. Never will I buy another smartphone that has a bad web browser.

Smartphone are not made with the #1 priority of Surfing the webs on the phone. Don't get me wrong i stuff the web on my 9700 from time to time at home. But when i have a netbook setting there are Wi-Fi access that is blazing fast, can you really justify Blackberry Browser > Intenet Explorer/Google Chrome/FireFox?!?!

you cannot... if Blackberry = Netbook/Notebook browsing the "web kit browser" wouldn't be hot news.

Smart Phone are made for #1 running 3rd party applications and #2 surfing the web. Other than talking on the phone.

and it's really funny that you mention Bolt/OM.... Those are 3rd party applications.... what was the #1 reason SmartPhones are made?!?!
    Last edited by mjneid; 03-05-10 at 03:59 PM.
    03-05-10 03:56 PM
    You're comparing a BB to a laptop. Of course the laptop is going to have blazing fast web speeds especially when the BB browser is very slow. I'm comparing something along the lines of a Droid or iPhone (which were made for the sole purpose of utilizing the web) which have very fast web speeds and can fit in your pocket at the same time.

The OP is also comparing a BB to desktop/notebook/netbook.
    03-05-10 04:36 PM
    True but it's nice to have an all-in-one device that can do it all.
    03-05-10 05:05 PM
    Just imagine: 2am, your wife is asleep, you have to go to bed, can�t turn on the tv and it is obvious you can�t go to bed with a laptop or a netbook on your hand to read something so you can get some sleep. Blackberry + Viigo + Browser = Is there a more perfect way to read some articles and the news from the palm of your hand without bothering the anaconda sleeping right next to you ??? Story of my life
    This is the most accurate post in the thread! Get r done!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 09:39 PM
    The BB browser is like the BB email or messaging. Not pretty at all but efficient.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 10:20 PM
    versatility defines blackberry. im always on the go and i need my phone to multitask. if you don't need this function, then move on but stop calling blackberry useless.
    03-05-10 10:46 PM
    This is the most accurate post in the thread! Get r done!
    Accurate? Really?

You HAVE to go to bed but to do so you need all kinds of gadgets to assist with
    that? If you HAVE to go to bed your BB, laptop, TV, etc... should be irrelevant.

I will never understand the person who would rather play with their phone
    while they a have person of the opposite gender in their bed.

And seriously... "get r done?" I thought that phrase played out 2 years ago.
    03-06-10 12:33 AM
    Accurate? Really?

You HAVE to go to bed but to do so you need all kinds of gadgets to assist with
    that? If you HAVE to go to bed your BB, laptop, TV, etc... should be irrelevant.

I will never understand the person who would rather play with their phone
    while they a person of the opposite gender in their bed.

And seriously... "get r done?" I thought that phrase played out 2 years ago.
    Are you offended a little by that? I almost always do a little surfing, checking fantasy stats, etc.. from my bed with the Berry, while the spousal unit is asleep. Though I would toss it in the corner if any hanky-panky were to "arise".

I think we are only in the beginning stages of where smartphones are going with regard to apps, surfing, etc... It will be interesting over the next 5 years how much the Berry becomes integrated into daily (or nightly) life.
    03-06-10 01:02 AM
    Are you offended a little by that?
    Certainly not, just stating the obvious. I have two views

1) Given the choice between holding a piece of plastic and a warm body, I'll
    take the warm body no doubt.

2) I truly think one of the reasons people have the difficulty sleeping well has a great
    deal to do with all the distracting crap they allow in their bedrooms. Be it cell
    phones, TVs, workout equipment, etc...

2 years as a BB user and over 10 years as a cellphone user and in all that time
    at no point has my devices made it to my bedroom (even if I am awake.)
    There is also no TV, game console, DVR, etc... If i need that stuff, I
    need to get up. Surprisingly, I sleep extremely well.
    03-06-10 01:19 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD