This article is from pcmag about how limited the applications are for the blackberry.
    http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/article.php?CALL_URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcmag.com%2F article2%2F0%2C2817%2C2362998%2C00.asp%3Fkc%3DPCRS S03069TX1K0001121
    It's the first article on mobile.pcmag.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mchopt; 04-23-10 at 02:23 PM.
    04-23-10 02:14 PM
    Your link isn't working
    04-23-10 02:16 PM
    Regardless of the article, I don't agree with it simply based on the beginning of the post. I don't believe that BlackBerry applications are limited compared to applications on other platforms.
    04-23-10 02:23 PM
    There not limited

04-23-10 02:28 PM
    Maybe limited in numbers compared to the thousands of useless I-apps but offers all the functional and useful apps anyone should ever need.

04-23-10 02:45 PM
    Maybe limited in numbers compared to the thousands of useless I-apps but offers all the functional and useful apps anyone should ever need.

I agree. Most of the apps they have are pretty good.
    04-23-10 03:09 PM
    I agree. Most of the apps they have are pretty good.
    Agreed also, but we also have our share of stupid apps. I'd say that on a
    proportional level it's probably close platform to platform.
    04-23-10 03:13 PM
    Here's the article link: BlackBerry Far Less Popular for Developers Than Users | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Having read the (short) article and all sources it linked to, I have to say that I disagree.
    04-23-10 03:30 PM
    They need to take into account more than just BlackBerry App World.

04-23-10 05:59 PM
    That's not an article, it's barely more than a tossed off Facebook update.

'Here's hoping that RIM blah blah blah'

6000 apps...that's a massive amount. How long would it take me to wade through them all, and what do we need them all for? And that's just the BB. If I was wading through 250000 or whatever iPhone apps, I'd get the feeling I was wasting my life.

People's perspective of the real use of a phone is getting fogged over with these poxy apps.

I love an iPhone (massive app store!!) as much as the next person but just today I was at a mate's house and he pulled this monstrous charger out from his drawer and plugged his iPhone in.

I was like 'Wha-wha-what the heck, why don't you just use a micro USB to your MacBook?' (as I was doing at the time, chargine my BB, hehe); but of course you know the rest.

It's not like a huge list of apps is an apology / patch / compensation for all the practical real world things that a certain phone gets wrong in the first place (oh my iPhone friends do grumble about multi tasking) but I get the impression it feels like that when your phone doesn't even make it through one day whereas your old dumb phone did a whole week...

Whatever, crap article, crap journalism who cares outside of this thread and beyond this post?
    Last edited by dodger_moore; 04-23-10 at 08:10 PM.
    04-23-10 08:07 PM
    I'll say this about AppWorld, youll find more apps here at the CrackBerry/Mobihand store. Why? It's very simple. AW has a lot of issues that need fixing. Beyond that, for AW it costs $20 to post an application, and $20 if you want to post an update. This INCLUDES free apps. So if I want to post a free application I have to pay them $20 and then another $20 each time I want to post a new build... no thanks. I post my free apps on Mobihand and not on AW, its simply not worth it. If RIM is trying to play catch up here they need to rethink some things.
    04-23-10 08:23 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Also this wasn't meant to be an opinion that every person will agree with just some; I didn't mean to say that this is necessarily everyones' opinion or even my own.

04-23-10 11:41 PM
    Regardless of the article, I don't agree with it simply based on the beginning of the post. I don't believe that BlackBerry applications are limited compared to applications on other platforms.
    i 2nd that.!
    04-23-10 11:48 PM
    I don't believe Blackberry Apps are limited. I think that maybe the dull UI gives people the perception that they are, but my twitter app on the BB does the samething my twitter app does on my iPhone. My docs to go on on my Blackberry does the samething it does on my iPhone. I just think the UI gives people this flawed perception.
    04-24-10 12:28 AM
    I don't believe Blackberry Apps are limited. I think that maybe the dull UI gives people the perception that they are, but my twitter app on the BB does the samething my twitter app does on my iPhone. My docs to go on on my Blackberry does the samething it does on my iPhone. I just think the UI gives people this flawed perception.
    I don't know about that. If you look on the other hand, a dull UI may accentuate a vibrant app. Imagine if the BBOS was all black and white, but the Twitter app had full colour...IN 3D...
    04-24-10 03:59 AM
    I don't know about that. If you look on the other hand, a dull UI may accentuate a vibrant app. Imagine if the BBOS was all black and white, but the Twitter app had full colour...IN 3D...
    I understand what your saying to an extent but thats not the case with the Blackberry everything does have color. lets take the facebook app for example when you go into it its not some huge UI transition from the phone itself. Its what you would expect Facebook to look like on the Blackberry no surprises or vibrant colors or 3D graphics jumping out at you. Its just has shall i say a "Blackberry'ish feel". And thats how it is for most Blackberry applications if not all.

(in RIMs defense it wasn't built to cater to apps anyway).
    04-24-10 04:08 AM
    It's all really what you use the phone for and fashion. I like the functional no nonsense approach from BB. The younger engineers at work prefer the I phone.

BB does exactly what it says on the tin....
    04-24-10 05:05 AM
    The no nonsense approach comes solely from the type of person using the phone and what they're using it for, Blackberry gives you plenty of apps to do all the nonsense you want to.

04-24-10 05:13 AM
    My BB has all the apps I need. Maybe someone else needs more apps that a very specific thing but I don't.
    04-24-10 05:44 AM
    They need to take into account more than just BlackBerry App World.
    Agreed. RIM's App world came about long after there were sites like handango, Mobihand, etc. which already had BB apps for sale. Apples iTunes is the only place to get iPhone apps so they are all concentrated into one place. Does Android have anyplace but market to purchase apps?

I'll say this about AppWorld, youll find more apps here at the CrackBerry/Mobihand store. Why? It's very simple. AW has a lot of issues that need fixing. Beyond that, for AW it costs $20 to post an application, and $20 if you want to post an update. This INCLUDES free apps. So if I want to post a free application I have to pay them $20 and then another $20 each time I want to post a new build... no thanks. I post my free apps on Mobihand and not on AW, its simply not worth it. If RIM is trying to play catch up here they need to rethink some things.
    wow, I didn't know that. That explains a lot.
    04-24-10 06:08 AM
    The no nonsense approach comes solely from the type of person using the phone and what they're using it for, Blackberry gives you plenty of apps to do all the nonsense you want to.

None taken......
    04-24-10 06:37 AM
    Stupid article...

Also, I have all the apps I need as IMO there are way to many fart apps...some people seem to like those though. Me, no thanks!

Wife thinks her phone is so much better than mine because of all the useless apps Andriod has over a BB, lol! No point in even bantering about such a trivial thing.

04-24-10 08:16 AM
    My last phone was the 9700 after the Storm 2, Blackberry has made me a convert to Blackberry. I wait for the 9650. Blackberry rules.
    04-24-10 08:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD