John Chen wishes Canadians would support BlackBerry more | MobileSyrup.com

One comment caught my eye:

jellmoo: Then maybe he should have made sure to price his products competitively in Canada instead of marking them up above and beyond just the exchange rate? Maybe he should have offered a better value in their own backyard than in other places? Maybe he should have worked with the Canadian carriers to offer great incentives and to actually market the devices?
    Maybe it is a matter of pricing after all for Canadians?
    Jrox74 likes this.
    09-27-16 04:20 AM
    Its a two way street though John. Blackberry has to support the people who have purchased their devices. This is round two of Blackberry dropping support for devices that people have purchased from them. First the Playbook, and now seemingly BB10. Its easy to ask the people for support but when its not being given back to them it just sounds like a case of Chen trying to guilt people into buying more devices from Blackberry out of a patriotic duty.
    09-27-16 06:18 AM
    We have been for years Mr.Chen however BlackBerry dropped support for us many dollars spent on BB 10 devices with No support after purchase .Would love to see BlackBerry continue as a iconic brand in Canada however as above poster says it Is a two way street .
    09-27-16 06:41 AM
    Dropping support for an existing userbase is a particularly bad move for a company with a shrinking usertbase.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 06:54 AM
    As a Canadian I feel no obligation to buy anything because it's Canadian. There is nothing Canadian about BlackBerry. The CEO is British, they don't announce any products in Canada. Unlike Apple who seems to be very proud to announce their products in Cupertino/San Fransisco. I don't believe there is more than one Canadian on their Executive Team, it there is one at all.

Sorry, don't I don't get all teary eyed and choked up over a billion dollar corporation that ****ed up and now wants us Canadians to support them. Most of us have moved on. Interesting to see how many are left during the device sales announcement on Sept. 28th...
    09-27-16 07:23 AM
    It all comes down to the product....

But after reading the article....

“What I think Canadians ought to think about is, if you really think technology and knowledge is the next evolution of the economy, having a healthy BlackBerry is actually paramount in importance not only to Waterloo and other innovation centres, but also for the Canadian mindset,” said Chen.
    Sounds more like he is trying to petition for some kind of tax incentives or credits..... and not trying to get them to buy more hardware or software.
    09-27-16 07:36 AM
    There are still many Canadians that feel very strong about BlackBerry

C&P

@cmdr_hadfied - @daraobriain That's not just a phone - it's a Blackberry! #proudcanadian
    Insync likes this.
    09-27-16 07:40 AM
    Don't forget the " I sheep header and Samsung pushers". Working at the carriers

HA! I got a Priv
    09-27-16 07:45 AM
    You guys have not driven through the Waterloo tech area? I personally want to see BlackBerry grow again in what ever field they focus in on.

I had worked in an unrelated field near the BlackBerry (RIM) offices and the University during the 'good years'.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 07:49 AM
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel" - Samuel Johnson.
    09-27-16 08:01 AM
    As a Canadian I feel no obligation to buy anything because it's Canadian. There is nothing Canadian about BlackBerry. The CEO is British, they don't announce any products in Canada. Unlike Apple who seems to be very proud to announce their products in Cupertino/San Fransisco. I don't believe there is more than one Canadian on their Executive Team, it there is one at all.

Sorry, don't I don't get all teary eyed and choked up over a billion dollar corporation that ****ed up and now wants us Canadians to support them. Most of us have moved on. Interesting to see how many are left during the device sales announcement on Sept. 28th...
    I agree that we don't need to support BlackBerry blindly but we do have to understand his point. He explained in his interview that a strong Blackberry is good for all Canadians -- this point I don't think anyone can deny.

If you look back in history you can see what BlackBerry did for Canada's tech scene when they were at the top of their game (especially the Kitchener - Waterloo region). They provided high tech jobs which made it possible for homegrown talent to stay in Canada to earn a good salary, while attracting even more talent from other countries. This caused a number of other high tech companies to set up shop in the region creating further opportunities for Canadians. BlackBerry also gave hundreds of co-op students from around the country an opportunity to be part of something big.

So whilst I don't think all Canadians need to run out and buy BlackBerry devices if they don't fit their needs, I don't disagree with what John said in the Empire Club interview.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 08:08 AM
    I agree that we don't need to support BlackBerry blindly but we do have to understand his point. He explained in his interview that a strong Blackberry is good for all Canadians -- this point I don't think anyone can deny.

If you look back in history you can see what BlackBerry did for Canada's tech scene when they were at the top of their game (especially the Kitchener - Waterloo region). They provided high tech jobs which made it possible for homegrown talent to stay in Canada to earn a good salary, while attracting even more talent from other countries. This caused a number of other high tech companies to set up shop in the region creating further opportunities for Canadians. BlackBerry also gave hundreds of co-op students from around the country an opportunity to be part of something big.

So whilst I don't think all Canadians need to run out and buy BlackBerry devices if they don't fit their needs, I don't disagree with what John said in the Empire Club interview.

Posted via CB10
    Great points. While The Kitchener/Waterloo region is a tech. boom, it's in part thanks to BlackBerry. They will also survive without BlackBerry, thanks again to BlackBerry. These startups and other tech. hubs in the area, will learn from BlackBerry, unlike BlackBerry not learning from Nortel.
    09-27-16 08:54 AM

Sorry, don't I don't get all teary eyed and choked up over a billion dollar corporation that ****ed up and now wants us Canadians to support them. Most of us have moved on. Interesting to see how many are left during the device sales announcement on Sept. 28th....
    British-American. Born in Hong Kong. Chen is international. Still not Canadian though.

Canadians don't buy BlackBerry because like everyone else, they're buying android & iPhone. It has nothing to do with the pricing, marketing or any of that. It's just the mainstream state of things. I also agree, one shouldn't buy something because its from his own country. You buy it if it suits you. However, don't expect companies nowadays to have certain nationalities in order for it to be hailed as Canadian or American. The company is indeed Canadian due to a lot of reasons.
    Last edited by Sairos; 09-27-16 at 09:08 AM.
    09-27-16 08:56 AM
    Instead of Mr. Chen saying that Canadians buy more Blackberries out of patriotism, he should have been pointing out the positives /advantages of why one should buy BlackBerry products, truly he sounds like he has no clue as to why we who use BlackBerry 10 or BlackBerry OS use their products.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 09-27-16 at 08:24 PM.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    09-27-16 09:33 AM
    If Lada opened a manufacturing plant in Canada run by a bunch of Argentinians and Saudis, I would buy and drive one as my patriotic duty.

Posted via CB10 with my awesome Passport
    09-27-16 09:59 AM
    Instead of Mr. Chen saying that Canadians buy more Blackberries out over patriotism, he should have been pointing out the positives /advantages of why one should buy BlackBerry products, truly he sounds like he has no clue as to why we who use BlackBerry 10 or BlackBerry OS use their products.

Posted via CB10
    He actually didn't say we should all go buy BlackBerry devices. He said that a strong Blackberry is good for Canada. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 10:06 AM
    He actually didn't say we should all go buy BlackBerry devices. He said that a strong Blackberry is good for Canada. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    He said Canadians ought to think about how a healthy BlackBerry is good for Canada.....

But that leaves it open to what beyond just thinking about it a Canadian is suppose to do? Does he just want Canadians to pray for BlackBerry? Does he want Canadians to support the company by having a big rally or a BlackBerry holiday? Does he want Canadians to support the company by buying their products? Does he want Canadians to support the company in other ways.... like tax credits?

There is a reason he want Canadian to think BlackBerry is good for Canada.....
    anon(9188202) and TgeekB like this.
    09-27-16 10:14 AM
    He said Canadians ought to think about how a healthy BlackBerry is good for Canada.....

But that leaves it open to what beyond just thinking about it a Canadian is suppose to do? Does he just want Canadians to pray for BlackBerry? Does he want Canadians to support the company by having a big rally or a BlackBerry holiday? Does he want Canadians to support the company by buying their products? Does he want Canadians to support the company in other ways.... like tax credits?

There is a reason he want Canadian to think BlackBerry is good for Canada.....
    I think you are missing the point. The point is why not consider a BlackBerry product if it can meet your needs? If it meets your needs, it's great for you, and it's great for Canada.

He isn't telling all Canadians to go out and blindly buy a BlackBerry device. In fact, he mentions in a different part of the interview that people should have choice.

Ps. There are certain tax credits that any Canadian organization can apply for, and I am sure BlackBerry already takes advantage of these. I think we probably do a decent job of this already.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Aman Darred; 09-27-16 at 10:34 AM.
    09-27-16 10:22 AM
    Bang
    Article: John Chen wishes Canadians would support BlackBerry more-chen.png

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    09-27-16 10:26 AM
    Chen is a CIA plant whose mission was to bring down a once iconic Canadian brand and ensure that Google and Apple continue upon their paths to world dominion.

FF22 likes this.
    09-27-16 10:29 AM
    I wish Canadians would as well but we don't seem to be an overly patriotic country compared to others.

At the end of the day though you have to offer something people want, or works the way they need it too.

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 likes this.
    09-27-16 10:46 AM
    Chen is a CIA plant whose mission was to bring down a once iconic Canadian brand and ensure that Google and Apple continue upon their paths to world dominion.

You'd expect Thorsten Heins to be a saboteur...
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    09-27-16 11:20 AM
    This just shows how out of touch Chen is with the real world. First, Canadians are not flag waving, gun shooting in the air types. Most of us don't care where our products are made.

It's not like in the US, where everything that is made in the US, has a giant made in USA tag.

Second, BlackBerry products are over priced in Canada, when exchange rates are taken into account. As products are "Canadian" they should be at least the same price as in the US, if not cheaper.

I have supported BlackBerry for years, as I used to have a lot of friends there. Now, BlackBerry has let them all go, and doesn't care about Waterloo, so why support them, especially since they just abandon us (PlayBook, BB10.3.3?)

Posted via CB10
    FalkirkEagle likes this.
    09-27-16 11:49 AM
    You'd expect Thorsten Heins to be a saboteur...
    Heh... there are many here who believe that he was!
    09-27-16 11:54 AM
    Why should they?
    09-27-16 11:57 AM
58 123