One of the things you have to be careful with when reading Chen's statements or listening to Chen is that he mixes up tenses in english so he is often talking about things that have happened as if they are the future and the future as if it has happened - this is the source of much confusion.
    Could it be such that when he said all the hw is ceased it will be done in fiscal year end? I don't know but if all the work is finalised it could be done. Heck maybe they passed the design to TCL in the first place. I am sad. Really wanted that pkb android.
    09-29-16 05:44 AM
    Could it be such that when he said all the hw is ceased it will be done in fiscal year end? I don't know but if all the work is finalised it could be done. Heck maybe they passed the design to TCL in the first place. I am sad. Really wanted that pkb android.
    The thing is - if all hardware is going to close in this fiscal year and it's about shutting it down, makes little sense to make yet another phone you are going to make a loss on - the development costs are a sunk cost and not a consideration.

As for TCL, they could take the design but why would they want to take the risk given they know better than any other partner that the DTEK50 was a bomb (and it had to be a bomb otherwise why would the unit be shutting down).

It's one thing to be paid to make something that doesn't sell (because you get paid anyway), it's quite another to be given a disregarded design that uses a keyboard design you don't actually make and risk your own company's cash on a failed brand.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-29-16 05:48 AM
    The thing is - if all hardware is going to close in this fiscal year and it's about shutting it down, makes little sense to make yet another phone you are going to make a loss on - the development costs are a sunk cost and not a consideration.

As for TCL, they could take the design but why would they want to take the risk given they know better than any other partner that the DTEK50 was a bomb (and it had to be a bomb otherwise why would the unit be shutting down).

It's one thing to be paid to make something that doesn't sell (because you get paid anyway), it's quite another to be given a disregarded design that uses a keyboard design you don't actually make and risk your own company's cash on a failed brand.
    True. I guess I'll stick to priv for the time being. Android Passport? No? Anyone? )
    09-29-16 05:52 AM
    True. I guess I'll stick to priv for the time being. Android Passport? No? Anyone? )
    Having said that - I'd actually buy it if released just to own the end of an era...
    09-29-16 05:53 AM
    Having said that - I'd actually buy it if released just to own the end of an era...
    I'd too. After iphone 3G I returned back to bold back then. But after until back to priv I had android slabs plus few iphones. Forgot the convenience of having a pkb. Now I know pkb is the best but I don't have any options. Kind of ironic.
    09-29-16 05:59 AM
    http://m.crackberry.com/john-chen-bl...oard-will-live

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-29-16 07:19 AM
    With the handset unit shutting down, those of us with BB10 phones will be in much better shape a year from now than Priv/DTEK owners just because android will be so reliant on ongoing patches to protect it from malware/viruses./security breaches.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 07:40 AM
    It's not outsourced - what they describe isn't outsourcing at all. It's licensing. If it was outsourcing, BBRY would be paying companies to design and produce phones for them. Instead this asks companies to pay BBRY a license fee, release a phone in their marketplace and see if they make a profit and pay BBRY royalties.

As far as I can tell - if nobody pays for a license there will be no phones beyond the one license in Indonesia.
    The word 'outsource' was not from my mouth. It was from their (BBRY) official report.

As for licensing, BBRY is comparable to Nokia when it was sold to Microsoft -- a bunch of outdated knowhows and worthless patents. That's why MS has written off Nokia for the most part. That's why the BB10's Android run time system performs poorly compared to, say, Android 5. That's why most people prefers Apple's Force Touch VKB to BBRY's PKB.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    cgk likes this.
    09-29-16 11:17 AM
83 ... 234