I just forked out over $25 bucks for an application to be on Skype (IM+ Pro) and I'd need to pay another $14 bucks just to get one that I can make skype calls on instead of just chat. $35 bucks when Skype is free on Android is absolutely ridlcious.

So I open AppWorld expecting to find a CNN application. Like c'mon, iPhone and Android has CNN but no such luck on Blackberry. You'd think with Blackberry being full of business men that you'd have a basic application like CNN. Isn't that vital for the type of people RIM is trying to market towards?

In-fact I haven't found any GOOD applications in AppWorld other then IM+ Pro. I'm also not willing to pay more then 4$ bucks when Android is either cheap or free. Most of the applications are paid, paid, paid - not interested at all.

Here's what I had on Android that I cannot find (including any similar apps)
    - Scanner Radio Pro (Police/EMS/Fire Radio Scanner - Around the world)
    - Astro File Manager
    - CurrentWidget (Yeah... it's a widget but would still be cool to have an app that shows mA drain)
    - Adobe Reader (It's in AppWorld but not for Torch?)
    - Reader (A decent eBook one)
    - Titanium Backup (Blackberry Protect isn't the same thing)
    - 3G Watchdog Pro (Usage mater)
    - Swype (For the Torch?)
    - SpeedTest
    - Any tethering application ($50 for a simple program is ridlcious, the BDM one is slow at 100kb/s)
    - Call Recorder

Maybe Android App Player for QNX will solve my troubles but still. If the rest of you maintain an attitude that applications aren't necessary for survival when I've listed BASIC apps then prepare to go down with the ship that's sinking.
    Last edited by CatlinFD; 09-07-11 at 04:03 AM.
    09-07-11 03:49 AM
    If you don't like it, why are you still using it? I won't complain, I don't complain. If you can encourage developers, or make apps yourself, why not contribute?

It's not about apps, just cause a platform doesn't have what you want, you don't just bash it. Rim isn't to blame here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-11 04:06 AM
    If you don't like it, why are you still using it? I won't complain, I don't complain. If you can encourage developers, or make apps yourself, why not contribute?

It's not about apps, just cause a platform doesn't have what you want, you don't just bash it. Rim isn't to blame here.

RIM isn't exactly encouraging applications like Microsoft and Google is. **** Microsoft is sending free devices out to help them develop, they are also giving them perks etc etc.

If I knew how to make applications, I obviously would and they'd be free.
    decypher44 likes this.
    09-07-11 04:28 AM

RIM isn't exactly encouraging applications like Microsoft and Google is. Microsoft is sending free devices out to help them develop, they are also giving them perks etc etc.

09-07-11 04:28 AM
    Don't know what you mean about CNN. I had it on my 9800 and I have it now on my 9810.

On the other apps...I can't comment, I don't use those. I've never used a huge number of apps. Not even when I had iPhone or the Atrix.

That said, the last two weeks since I got my 9810 have been a bit annoying without the convenience of my banking apps. But since I have access to PCs most of the day I can manage until the 9810 banking apps begin to show up.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 09-07-11 at 05:18 AM.
    09-07-11 04:45 AM
    RIM isn't exactly encouraging applications like Microsoft and Google is. Microsoft is sending free devices out to help them develop, they are also giving them perks etc etc.

Hmm, maybe you could, speaking of Skype, ask them why they have exclusivity over at Verizon and 3UK? Asking them why they limit those two carriers to the app and why not the entire community?

decypher44 likes this.
    09-07-11 04:49 AM
    Amazon has a Kindle reader available for download that works well, though it doesn't support landscape viewing. It is not available through AppWorld. Unlike the iPhone, BlackBerrys aren't limited to apps in the offiical store.
    decypher44 likes this.
    09-07-11 11:43 AM
    Here's what I had on Android that I cannot find (including any similar apps)
    - Astro File Manager
    on your phone, go into the applications folder, then select `files` and theres a file manager thats included in the phone, or you could look at any of the following from appworld:
    beamexplorer file manager
    filescout
    GoAruna files
    File explorer
    File manager pro

and im sure there are others.
    09-07-11 12:09 PM
    I personally would not pay that much for ANY app.

09-07-11 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD