With the new 10.2.1 leak we can now do direct APK downloads. This is great since it closes the app gap for many of us since we can have access to a plethora of (decently working) Android apps. However with this we are now open to a lot of new security threats present with Android (even BB issues a disclaimer saying download APK at your own risk)

So what do you guys pick? Security by only using the limited native options, or having Android apps?
    You cannot choose both.
    12-13-13 12:02 AM
    Android Runtime is sandboxed to the actual BB10 OS environment.

/thread
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    12-13-13 12:11 AM
    Apps or security (Pick One)-img_20131169.png

Then if there is zero risk, why the disclaimer? I'm pretty sure the risk is minimal, but still present none the less

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 12:26 AM
    I install an Android app, it asked for access to contacts, files, device information etc., none of which I can turn on or off unlike the BB apps, I considered that a security breach and deleted the Android app ....
    jason9900 likes this.
    12-13-13 12:41 AM
    I'm not limited I guess because while I do not use any Android apps, the kind of apps I do need exist in App World already as native apps. I can't see any reason to sideload anything in the first place. I must be lucky.

Posted from BitPusher's Q10
    jason9900 likes this.
    12-13-13 01:53 AM
    I'm not limited I guess because while I do not use any Android apps, the kind of apps I do need exist in App World already as native apps. I can't see any reason to sideload anything in the first place. I must be lucky.

Yea those who want all the big name apps like Google Maps, Instagram, Snapchat etc sideload. But besides that native serves somewhat well

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 02:18 AM
    I need a decent browser, a word processor, a checkbook register/budget tracker, a calendar and calc, a music player, a flashlight, and I've got some toys like the CB10 app and the 9gag app. I'm good.

12-13-13 04:03 AM
    An android app may require access to functions on an android phone that it does not need but won't install if access is denied. This same app will just installed in the android runtime and run. I don't know if requests from the runtime can leave the BB10 without it knowing unless the runtime is rooted so to speak. I like to be corrected on this ....
    12-13-13 04:25 AM
    I install an Android app, it asked for access to contacts, files, device information etc., none of which I can turn on or off unlike the BB apps, I considered that a security breach and deleted the Android app ....
    Same here.
    If that's going to be the standard thing I can't see myself getting too many
    I'm pretty happy with what I've got from BB World anyway and there's no beating the native apps for look feel and usability for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 05:12 AM
    My recent experience with Android apps running in BB10 environment might have something to do with security issues of OS 10.2.1.1055. You may refer to this thread for the details, starting from message #151.
    12-13-13 09:05 AM
    Won't be using any apks anytime soon. Would rather use them in a real android environment. 4.4 is so slick now!

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    12-13-13 09:15 AM
    If more people were like this then the bad news that Android is full of malware would rapidly decrease.

But if you're gonna download a dodgy app from a dodgy website asking for Internet access and access to your contacts and read/write sms then half the blame is on yourself.

Although a lot of apps ask for more permissions than they really need, unfortunately.
    12-13-13 09:46 AM
    Android Runtime is sandboxed to the actual BB10 OS environment.

/thread
    I believe that's only due to the Android apps within BBW hence why they have the "Made for BlackBerry" tag.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 10:31 AM
    I thought the app gap was closed, or at least that's what I was told.
    12-13-13 10:46 AM