Hi Everyone,

In the past two days, I have had two seperate applications and/or icons show up on my 8330 (one per day - first Slacker Radio, and then yesterday, Skype).

How and/or why is this occurring? Is it happening for anyone else?
    These two apps are not appearing within my list of applications, either.

Any light you can shed on this is much appreciated. Thank you!

SmeeBig7.
    03-28-10 11:04 AM
    Verizon pushes these App Loaders. The actual app won't be loaded unless you click the icon. It does no good to delete the loader; Verizon will simply push it again the next time you load service books. You can hide the icons. Fortunately they don't take much space.
    03-28-10 11:09 AM
    Hmmm. Thanks Jeff!

Why is it that they are able/allowed to do this?

And, just for my knowledge, what exactly does Skype allow a person to do - particularly from a phone?

Thanks again.
    SmeeBig7.
    03-28-10 11:11 AM
    Verizon is able to push apps and app loaders because a carrier is able to push Service Books to your device. As to why they are allowed to do it, there's probably something in your Terms of Service that says you agree to it. Many folks have complained about the practice. I don't think Verizon is the only carrier that does it, but they are the only carrier I have first-hand experience with.

Skype on a PC allows you to make video calls. Skype as implemented on Verizon BlackBerry devices does not. Someone who uses it might be able to give you a good reason for having it.
    03-28-10 11:19 AM
    And, just for my knowledge, what exactly does Skype allow a person to do - particularly from a phone?

Thanks again.
    SmeeBig7.
    Skype Mobile Phone | Skype Cell Phone | Skype Calling
    03-28-10 11:22 AM
    Hey, thanks!
    It won't cost me anything extra to use, either??

SmeeBig7.
    03-28-10 11:40 AM
    Verizon is able to push apps and app loaders because a carrier is able to push Service Books to your device. As to why they are allowed to do it, there's probably something in your Terms of Service that says you agree to it. Many folks have complained about the practice. I don't think Verizon is the only carrier that does it, but they are the only carrier I have first-hand experience with.

Skype on a PC allows you to make video calls. Skype as implemented on Verizon BlackBerry devices does not. Someone who uses it might be able to give you a good reason for having it.
    Skype uses a background channel of the internet for Video, Phone, IM and file transfer. For many PC users, Skype not only provides free and unlimited Phone calls, but we do Video too.

My late Mother commented, the most impressive thing in her life time, was the ability to share a laugh with her great grandchildren, in Australia.

Skype on BlackBerry "should" allow you unlimited Voice and IM with the 10+ Million Skype PC's, and other Verizon models that support Skype.

03-28-10 11:42 AM
    TMO does the same thing pushing app loaders. My 9700 has many of them!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD