Hi Everybody,

I was doing some research online to better control Android application permissions. I found an article that I hope will help everyone with Android Apps on their BlackBerry 10 devices.

Bla1ze, Please forgive me because I found this on another BlackBerry fan website. But I think it's good for everyone, so if you please allow this post to be read by all. I am going to try and post the link that gives you info on the app and tips on how to control your battery consumption with Android apps.

This is the Link:

www​.bbin.in/.../android-apps-leeching- ...

bbin.in talks about an application that is called apps ops. I downloaded it from Snap as the Amazon store (like every other freakin' app) does not have it.

It also talks about turnig off 'run in the background' selection in the app permissions for the Android Applications.

I've done a basic test of Apps Ops and turned everything off to see if the apps will actually be disabled. I tested it using the GPS and camera. Any application (eg. Waze and Instagram) that requires GPS and Camera in fact did not function as they should. I was prompted to turn on GPS and/or camera permissions for the app to run properly. Otherwise, the app launches and operates just fine.

It looks like App Ops is the real deal, it received 4/5 stars in Snap reviews.

I hope I've helped my fellow CrackBerry Heads!!

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    06-23-15 10:18 PM
    You do realize App Ops only works on rooted Android devices, yes? You can't achieve root on a BlackBerry, therefore App Ops isn't going to fully work.
    06-23-15 11:25 PM
    Well, Obviously I'm not a code writer, nor am I am an expert in rooted devices, or devices that that have stems, or devices that have leaves.

If you are trying to slag me or make fun of me because my education background is not in computer sciences, it's really not fair.

I was simply posting to other CB members an article I discovered online that perhaps DOES work. I've already noticed a difference with my Q10. Perhaps Apps Ops isn't iron clad, but even if it is simply an improvement, I'm glad I shared it with everyone....even you.

One thing I've learned on CB, if you pull something out of your a** and post it in the forums, you get called out. So I didn't make this up. I researched it online, and I disclosed my source. I don't know how reliable the information bbin.in is. I was simply trying to help other CB members that have concerns with Android Application permissions on their devices.

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 12:01 AM
    Well, Obviously I'm not a code writer, nor am I am an expert in rooted devices, or devices that that have stems, or devices that have leaves.

If you are trying to slag me or make fun of me because my education background is not in computer sciences, it's really not fair.

I was simply posting to other CB members an article I discovered online that perhaps DOES work. I've already noticed a difference with my Q10. Perhaps Apps Ops isn't iron clad, but even if it is simply an improvement, I'm glad I shared it with everyone....even you.

One thing I've learned on CB, if you pull something out of your a** and post it in the forums, you get called out. So I didn't make this up. I researched it online, and I disclosed my source. I don't know how reliable the information bbin.in is. I was simply trying to help other CB members that have concerns with Android Application permissions on their devices.

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    I'm not trying to "slag" or make fun of you; my intent was to see if you'd looked on CB where there's a bigger community that's been looking into this for about 2 years now. Bottom line, you cannot adjust permissions and get functionality out any apps. App Ops can change them, but it was designed to have full administrator privileges to do its job, and the apps were designed to have the permissions they ask for. Android apps working properly on BlackBerry is a crap shoot to start with, denying permissions will most likely cause them not to work as you've already seen. So sure, you may or may not get App Ops to do what it's supposed to do, but you apps will not.

If you're that worried about permissions, don't use the app(s).
    06-24-15 12:12 AM
    I'm not trying to "slag" or make fun of you; my intent was to see if you'd looked on CB where there's a bigger community that's been looking into this for about 2 years now. Bottom line, you cannot adjust permissions and get functionality out any apps. App Ops can change them, but it was designed to have full administrator privileges to do its job, and the apps were designed to have the permissions they ask for. Android apps working properly on BlackBerry is a crap shoot to start with, denying permissions will most likely cause them not to work as you've already seen. So sure, you may or may not get App Ops to do what it's supposed to do, but you apps will not.

If you're that worried about permissions, don't use the app(s).
    OK. Please keep in mind the way you wrote your response (underlining 'rooted' and phrased it in the form of a question), came across as very condescending.

Now, that aside, yes I have seen other threads where CB members discuss ways to control permissions of Android Applications.

If you could please explain how it is Apps Ops works then? When I launched the app, it allowed me to block access to my files, contacts, and calendar. Is this all smoke and mirrors? Do the Android apps still have access to my files, contacts, SMS, emails, etc.?

I don't get it. It seems to be actually working. My goal is to really just prevent malicious applications in gaining access to my personal files on my device.

Your thoughts iBuilder??

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 12:25 AM
    Android 4.3 DOES allow for granular control of permissions (which is the version of our Runtime) , and the app you mention does work. Google changed direction again with Android 4.4.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    KISS ARMY likes this.
    06-24-15 12:28 AM
    Android 4.3 DOES allow for granular control of permissions (which is the version of our Runtime) , and the app you mention does work. Google changed direction again with Android 4.4.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    Thanks!!

It's nice to know that I've contributed something useful to BlackBerry 10 users!! I don't have any education in Computer Sciences, application building or operating systems. But with CB, I've learned a lot about mobile devices.

I feel sho shmart!!!

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 12:41 AM
    Thanks!!

It's nice to know that I've contributed something useful to BlackBerry 10 users!! I don't have any education in Computer Sciences, application building or operating systems. But with CB, I've learned a lot about mobile devices.

I feel sho shmart!!!

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    Haha even in the 10.3.2.2204 thread some people found they can modify clash of clans permissions after update to that os, and they post screen shot about that

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2252 | CB Mod
    06-24-15 12:51 AM
    Guys, I'm not saying App Ops is a fail. I'm saying changing permissions and expecting full functionality is going to set a lot of people up for some angst when things go awry. Think about the CB10 app what happens when storage access gets denied, and that's native.
    06-24-15 02:45 AM
    Yeah, way ahead of you. Works fine.

I use an app called permissions manager, it's basically a shortcut to app ops and it's like 7kb.

Application that contols permissions for Android Apps-img_20150624_050119.png

Work Wide and Prosper
    KISS ARMY likes this.
    06-24-15 04:02 AM
    If you install Google Play Store and it's supporting apps you have direcct access to app ops permissions and the full hidden android settings.

Just run Blackberry Google ID app, go to overflow menu and choose either 'Android Permissions' or 'Android Settings'
    jdesignz, Trini-34 and Sallem like this.
    06-24-15 04:56 AM
    If you install Google Play Store and it's supporting apps you have direcct access to app ops permissions and the full hidden android settings.

Just run Blackberry Google ID app, go to overflow menu and choose either 'Android Permissions' or 'Android Settings'
    +1

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204
    06-24-15 05:02 AM
    Thanks!!

I feel sho shmart!!!

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    I've always preferred the 7kb Permission Manager apk myself.

Over the months, I've discovered two things: the permission only shows up on the list after the first time it has been used by the app in question, and usually the "location" permission is the only one I can usually get away with changing.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    Last edited by conite; 06-24-15 at 07:56 AM.
    KISS ARMY likes this.
    06-24-15 06:53 AM
    So does the android runtime in BB10 run like it is in root mode? I mean, I know the runtime is sandboxed, but does it make the apps think they are running as root?
    06-24-15 07:53 AM
    It does make sense what you are saying iBuilder. My whole objective though though is simply, does Aps Ops actually perform as advertised.

But yes, when u say that if I turn off ALL permissions to certain apps, I may run into a Non functional app. That all makes sense.

But it's nice to know if I can actually add even a little extra protection to my Android Applications. Video Game Apps do not need access to my emails.

Cheers!!

Posted via CB10
    Thud Hardsmack and lift like this.
    06-24-15 08:48 AM
    I've always preferred the 7kb Permission Manager apk myself.
    Could you please tell me which one this is. Do you have a link to the .apk on Google Play store?
    06-24-15 11:02 AM
    Could you please tell me which one this is. Do you have a link to the .apk on Google Play store?
    https://mega.co.nz/#!IJxl2SiS!6UwENs...OTPuLqslbRyIKg

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2252
    lift likes this.
    06-24-15 11:05 AM

Hi. So are you saying if you have Google play store. Then install App Ops. And then you can see all of Android permissions?

Because from what I've seen in the app permissions under BlackBerry Google ID, it doesn't list all the permissions that app has I'm place.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 04:10 AM