Nothing surprised me more than hearing Tim Cook use Thorsten Heins' "laser focused" line when asked about the future of Apple. At 10:34 in the video Apple was being compared to Sony when they were at their peak of popularity, Tim Cook busted out the "laser focused" line. Apple must be very cognizant of RIM's battle to stay relevant, after all RIM was once the darling of the media and the smartphone market. If I was in charge of Apple nothing would frighten me more than looking down from the top and seeing an already laser focused BlackBerry 10 team pointed upward.

Was Tim Cook's use of that line an acknowledgement of BlackBerry 10's potential or just coincidental CEO lingo?

12-07-12 04:53 AM
    I see it as a throw away phrase. They're only words until they show us what they're actually "laser focused" on and how their "laser focus" is of benefit to the end user.

The thing is, we've actually seen how "laser focused" RIM is. Their dev relations team has been going above and beyond. Their software developers (from third party accounts who have seen and used the new OS) have apparently done an amazing job. The management team has been visible and proactive, showing their willingness.

All these different parts (and others) go to prove how "laser focused" RIM is... apart from a throw away phrase from Tim Cook, what have they actually shown?... I'd go as far as to say: not a lot at this point. I'm not saying they're not "laser focused", but they've not really shown anything to prove it at this point.

Si.
    12-07-12 05:15 AM
    comment regarding what he said abotu maps, if it didn't meet their expectations then why did they produce it, firing some executives is really not the answer, to put the blame on them for a desision that is ultimatly cooks final call is in my honest opinion disgraceful.

personally i think cook is very poor in that interview, he's trying to hard to be like steve jobs, i do believe apples time as being cool is kind of fading and that it actually does feel that Apple products are more for our parents then samsungs, there is just no brain work to them and things are to easy and you can't customize them. yes they work and they work well and rarely crash but they don't give the user the sense that they can change things around to suit their needs, it gives users a chrippled like feel and their way is wrong and apples way is right. in some ways i don't think apple targets as many people as it really should which is why alot of people tend to jailbreak them so they are not limited to what apple tells them to do , they can use a stable and smooth system the way they see fit, and this is where i feel BB10 will take advantage and where android already does.

i like the analogy about sony, sure they are great products and have always been, but it comes a time when there is just so much more competition and so much to prove that things just flatten out and things just level off for the big players.
    12-07-12 05:31 AM
    I see it as a throw away phrase. They're only words until they show us what they're actually "laser focused" on and how their "laser focus" is of benefit to the end user.

The thing is, we've actually seen how "laser focused" RIM is. Their dev relations team has been going above and beyond. Their software developers (from third party accounts who have seen and used the new OS) have apparently done an amazing job. The management team has been visible and proactive, showing their willingness.

All these different parts (and others) go to prove how "laser focused" RIM is... apart from a throw away phrase from Tim Cook, what have they actually shown?... I'd go as far as to say: not a lot at this point. I'm not saying they're not "laser focused", but they've not really shown anything to prove it at this point.

Si.
    agreed, and to let chief executives go does not make someone laser focused it throws the blame on someone else when ultimately its ideas that have been brought to the table and are agreed apon by a team, and the blame falls on cook himself as he is head of the team
    12-07-12 05:35 AM
    every product follows this:

Apple's Tim Cook is "laser focused" too-plc.gif

EDIT: If you listen @10:30 Tim Cook pretty much sums it up by saying "you can only do great things a few times only on a few products". I can't believe he said that.
    Last edited by dentynefire; 12-07-12 at 07:31 AM.
    Just Me and bluetroll like this.
    12-07-12 07:12 AM
    OP yeah it isn't a new phrase but its definitely more awesome hearing Thorsten say it because of his accent. I guess we both picked out something different from the same point in the interview lol
    12-07-12 07:42 AM
    It is a sarcastic sneering mock meant to say, "we are laser focused TOO"
    12-07-12 07:49 AM
    This man will lead Apple into a large dark hole I the next 5-6 years.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    12-07-12 08:42 AM
    If I was in charge of Apple nothing would frighten me more than looking down from the top and seeing an already laser focused BlackBerry 10 team pointed upward.
    That statement above is just nuts. Compared to the other threats to Apple, RIMM is just a gnat.
    12-07-12 08:59 AM
    It's a typical corporate BS phrase like "table stakes" or "synergy".

Judging from how many damn issues I've had in the last 24 hours migrating my iMac to my new MacBook Pro, I wish Tim Cook was as 'laser focused' as his predecessor. No problems migrating between my previous three Macs, but this migration has been filled with problems.
    12-07-12 09:07 AM
    That statement above is just nuts. Compared to the other threats to Apple, RIMM is just a gnat.
    This comment is the dumb one. BB is the third most used os, and bb10 is SO much better then windows and legacy os. Theres no reason for it to do bad, and imo besides for Samsung, is apples biggest threat.
    12-07-12 09:07 AM
    This comment is the dumb one. BB is the third most used os, and bb10 is SO much better then windows and legacy os. Theres no reason for it to do bad, and imo besides for Samsung, is apples biggest threat.
    Maybe. If RIMM can execute and Tim Cook actually treats RIMM like a gnat to be ignored, they could be a threat.

Sorta like when Sony and Microsoft were so focused on each other that they forgot about Nintendo ... and Wii came out of nowhere like a force of nature.
    jakie55 and Jake Storm like this.
    12-07-12 09:55 AM
    The difference is Tim Cook probably doesn't know anything about lasers. Heinz (a physics graduate) does.
    12-07-12 12:25 PM
    Maybe. If RIMM can execute and Tim Cook actually treats RIMM like a gnat to be ignored, they could be a threat.

Sorta like when Sony and Microsoft were so focused on each other that they forgot about Nintendo ... and Wii came out of nowhere like a force of nature.
    lol oh this argument, i persoanlly have always liked nintendo more then the rest, sure ps and xbox are geared for hardcore gaming but nintendo never lost the true gaming experiense, its all about fun, and with games like mario party, super smash brothers, and zelda its no doubt its true for multiplayer and single player interaction, not to mention a game like resident evil 4 showed the true power of the Gamecube hardware over xbox and ps2
    12-07-12 02:25 PM
    The difference is Tim Cook probably doesn't know anything about lasers. Heinz (a physics graduate) does.
    Heins is the physics graduate. Heinz is the brand of ketchup and as far as I know never attended an institution of higher learning except as a frequent visitor in the campus cafeteria.
    12-07-12 07:51 PM
    Comparing video game industry to smartphone industry? Nintendo much like RIM was the top company in gaming and then lost market share to Sony and Microsoft, RIM lost to Apple and Google. Nintendo came out with the Wii which got a whole new segment into gaming with a new way to play games making the demographics of traditional teenage boys and young adult males to a wider audience.

What does RIM have with BB10 for such a drastic change in the fortunes of smartphone players? I have no idea? As far as I know, they still are not going to have a Netflix app at launch even though the recently released PSVita and WiiU already have Netflix apps? BB10 looks solid, but solid is not going to get brainwashed Apple fans that wait days in line for minor Apple upgrades or brand loyal Android fans that have learned the ins and outs of their OS's.

RIM has an uphill battle, I am interested in their new line of phones, but already in the US market, not having a dedicated Netflix app is a dealbreaker for some...
    12-08-12 10:22 PM
    ... brand loyal Android fans ...
    You're kidding yourself if you think Android fans are "brand loyal". Android is the new kid on the block. Most owners jumped from another platform.
    Like a cheating spouse: Not likely to be faithful to future partners.

There are a lot of phone sluts out there that will jump into bed with the next new device. Regardless of OS.
    12-08-12 11:45 PM
    Si.
    Sorry, WHAT?!? How is renewing something like 90% of your line up in half a year for proof? This year we've seen new iPhone, two new iPads, new laptops and desktops. And the vast majority of these aren't just stale refreshes where you drop in a new CPU, but remade from ground up, like the iPhone 5 or the iMac.

Considering how RIM had to delay their BB10 several times this year, and that the best example of RIMs focus that you can think of, is a bunch of tweets from their dev relations team, I think Heins would love to have just a tenth of Apples focus.
    12-08-12 11:58 PM
    CrackedBarry you need to get off Apple's nuts bro. The iPhone 5 isn't exactly from the ground up. New processor and bigger screen. Still the same basic design of the same phone they have had since the beginning now. The iPad 4 wasn't even really a huge announcement. The big one was the iPad mini... It's an abomination of sorts. Crappier screen slower processor... But it's still expensive as ****. I'd rather buy 2 Nexus 7's for the price of an Ipad mini...

As for delaying BB10. BOO HOO. Developing an OS from SCRATCH from the Ground up (truly from the ground up not just evolution of an existing OS) takes time. They have done it in less than half the time of anyone else so I give them props and I applaud Heins for delaying it to make it polished and add other features. He made the right call. Apple reminds me of Clinton... He road the wave of the economy and was hailed as the greatest president ever... it was already starting a decent when Bush took office. Apple will fall unless they come up with something. Apple is quickly losing the "IT" factor.

But really... Why are you even here CrackedBarry?
    12-09-12 08:26 AM
    What's it matter? Neither Bill Gates nor Steve Jobs graduated college, and they're probably two of the most influential people in business in the last 50 years.
    12-09-12 09:09 AM
    CrackedBarry you need to get off Apple's nuts bro. The iPhone 5 isn't exactly from the ground up. New processor and bigger screen. Still the same basic design of the same phone they have had since the beginning now. The iPad 4 wasn't even really a huge announcement. The big one was the iPad mini... It's an abomination of sorts. Crappier screen slower processor... But it's still expensive as ****. I'd rather buy 2 Nexus 7's for the price of an Ipad mini...
    An abomination that apparently sold as many on launch day as the Playbook sold in a year and a half.
    12-09-12 09:11 AM
    Apple are laser focused, they`re really going somewhere. problem is, nobody knows where because they`re using iOS maps
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-09-12 09:24 AM
    Apple are laser focused, they`re really going somewhere. problem is, nobody knows where because they`re using iOS maps
    Off a bridge. They are going to eventually kill themselves if the update cycles and quality of them does not change. They aren't Porsche, revolution is often better then evolution in electronics. 3gs to 4g is the jump every product cycle needs. My opinion.
    12-09-12 09:48 AM
    An abomination that apparently sold as many on launch day as the Playbook sold in a year and a half.
    That's an exageration... and while I was on a month long TDY back in the states... 2 of biggest apple fans with me have purchased 2 nexus 7's and a 32GB playbook. After playing with the Ipad Mini and seeing the price of them they realized that Apple is not the greatest thing in the world. There are other alternatives and what do you know... they are equal if not better than the ipad and they don't cost anywhere near the premium... the mini is way overpriced. You pay for the symbol. Nexus 7 is a better buy by far. The playbook for 100 dollars new that my friend found is as well. BB10 is on the way.
    12-09-12 03:29 PM
    That's an exageration... and while I was on a month long TDY back in the states... 2 of biggest apple fans with me have purchased 2 nexus 7's and a 32GB playbook. After playing with the Ipad Mini and seeing the price of them they realized that Apple is not the greatest thing in the world. There are other alternatives and what do you know... they are equal if not better than the ipad and they don't cost anywhere near the premium... the mini is way overpriced. You pay for the symbol. Nexus 7 is a better buy by far. The playbook for 100 dollars new that my friend found is as well. BB10 is on the way.
    How is it an exaggeration? It was widely reported they sold 3 million iPads on launch day, most of the sales were from the iPad mini. Most estimates put the iPad mini at about 2 million for the day. The Playbook has yet to sell 2 million. Whether the iPad mini is overpriced is another matter.
    12-09-12 03:35 PM
29 12